Hypothetical glitch

fly boy3

Hi all, is this feasable. Did all radio checks with engine at full throttle. Took off and flew for about 50 metres towards a tx that was on same 35Mhz channel, and switched on with ariel down. Suffered an almighty glitch that brought model down from about 15ft high. Is this scenario possible. Cheers. ps I had the peg in my possesion.

Edited By fly boy3 on 26/03/2011 18:36:16

Advert

yes all possible...like i say if you had the peg than you were in control of that freq....even if you had shot the other model out of the sky......i have seen people flying before and someone on the same freq switch on -just for a couple of sec's and 'twiddle' the stick's and bring another model on the same freq out of the sky....make sure you 'tot' up the damage to your wallet..and get it replaced as new....

ken anderson ne.1 (accident dept)

Something's worrying me about the statement, "Took off and flew for about 50 metres towards a tx ".

Flying over another operating transmitter is always a risk and the reason why the BMFA advise against taking a transmitter out onto an operational area and laying out sites so that this won't happen. Perhaps it might be an idea to review your club's operations in this respect - especially as operational transmitters usually have people attached to them!

In your case, the fact that someone was on your channel made the likelihood of a shootdown extremely likely and no doubt was the root cause of the incident but transmissions can be interfered with when a model is in close proximity to transmitters on different frequencies at range from the pilot through various circumstances.

Of course, there may be some scenario that hasn't occurred to me but it doesn't sound like a good idea to be taking off towards other fliers.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/03/2011 20:07:32

I notice that you don't make it clear who was doing what in your OP but the bottom line is that only the TX with the frequency peg should have been switched ON. Whomever else had one on was way, way out of order.

Now that 35meg is in a minority, it might be that the risk of complacency rises. You / your club needs to get a grip of this NOW.

As Ken says, if someone has switched on without the peg and brought someone else's model down, then that person has just bought the wreckage at full price.

Stu K (still on 35 meg)

If anyone else is on the same frequency I always check what that person is doing before I fly and usually speak to them and say " i'm just going to fly on the 84 channel" etc. In fact I would also try to place my model next to theirs in the pits so we know what the other is doing.
If I know that someone has ever flown on 'my' frequency I always go and ask them if they are using that frequency today.

In addition I much prefer to actually hand over the peg to the person rather than just put it back on a board or ' tombstone' I land my model, switch off and hand them the peg immediately and say "it's your turn to fly " this prompts them to fly right away. It's much safer and you dont waste flying time by not realising the peg is available.
If anyone is on an adjacent frequency I also wait until they switch off although this is nearly always unneccessary with good equipment. Just a precaution.

The situation is actually worse now because of 2.4Ghz. People still have some models on 35 Mhz which they use occasionally but they are so used to 2.4 that they can forget to revert to the peg system for the 35Mhz model.