Webbit example build: Fuselage, Tailpane

Thanks Steve,

Close up it's the covering that lets it down, I just can't seem to get it right these days. I'm really hoping Richard's thread will give me some clues where I am going wrong. And I'm sure yours will be fine.

I've booked meal tomorrow at lunch time for mothers day, so I only have the morning to get some done, may re-build the UC as I'm not happy with that iether, then it's the wings. I just love Chris Bott's version.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks Danny,

I really need to get cracking with the wings, but like you it may be next week now. I've not started on the presentation I have to do for work yet, and I need it first thing on Monday.

Another little idea I have is to use one of my collection of Cox engines in a Dinky Webbitt. May be a Black Widow in a 30" version .

Chris.

Thanks BEB,

I took the missus for a lunch today so it was the Merrel trainers and Helly Hansen jacket for me, I did get away with the charity mass build tee shirt though . I had very little time this morning so I did another undercart, wasn't happy with the first one ( the soldering was lumpy). So now the new one's on.

Chris.

So here it is with it's boots on.

Fully Castoring tail wheel, and the wings are on their way.

Altogether now, The Webbitt's got it's boots on hihip hipip hooray and when it's got it's wings on I'll be coming out to play .

Started the wings after lunch, Ill have to order some hole punches like Chris Bott uses, for the second Webbitt. Time for worky things now.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi All,

Found the hinge slotter, it was in the hoover . Just about finished the presentation for tomorrow morning so it's an early night now, and next week it's full on with an ojue notice just gone out, so I've got to write a spec for a 1.5 mill contract that will run for 3 years. So hope to get the wings finished for the weekend .

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 03/04/2011 23:18:43

Edited By Big Bandit on 03/04/2011 23:26:04

Hiya BB, just one question at the minute. It says to chamfer a 45 degree angle on the stabilizer joiner. Where? I can't work out where it's supposed to be. Cheers mate.

Geoff

Hi Andy, glad it's helped, any questions give us a shout.

Geoff,

I think it was meant to say the elevator joiner, that's the short length of 1/4 sq spruce in the picture and glues in the recesses at the inner ends of the two elevator half's, the reason for beveling it first is it's too easy to sand away too much of the softish balsa of the elevators if it's glued in first.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 05/04/2011 20:18:22:
Hi Andy, glad it's helped, any questions give us a shout.

Geoff,

I think it was meant to say the elevator joiner, that's the short length of 1/4 sq spruce in the picture and glues in the recesses at the inner ends of the two elevator half's, the reason for beveling it first is it's too easy to sand away too much of the softish balsa of the elevators if it's glued in first.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hiya BB, there's me not making myself clear again. What I meant was that I know where the joiner goes but what's confusing me is what part of the joiner do I chamfer, I 've always left 'em square. Cheers mate

Geoff

PS.  Silly arse me just re-read your post and it became clear. Thanks mate.

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 05/04/2011 23:32:48

Chris : As always with me I come into things late but really like this build and the platform is just the right size for some Sunday afternoon tooling around the field and relaxing flying. My big problem is that I am in Up state NY,USA and It would be too late to have it done for the final fly in FOR A GREAT CAUSE BY THE WAY,As I am home recovering from a total hip replacement.due to Arthritis. I am also following Rich Haris build as he pointed this site out to me to watch while recouping from my surgery. Doing fine too If you were wondering I will have to see how much $ and shipping time to get one over here I think I would like it just like yours as I thing I have all the extras in MY parts bin to go electric like yours.

Following all you guys with great interest Bill
Great job on the teaching part too.

Hi Bill, and Welcome to the forum.

Thanks I'm glad you like it, and I'm sorry to hear you have health problems. I'm currently recovering from a heart attack this time last year, so I now only work 3 days a week and have to take it a bit easy.

I know I've enjoyed the build so much, that I've also started a build of a half scale Webbitt 20" span for a Cox Pee Wee 020, 2 x 5 gram servo's and a Multiplex 4 channel RX. The patterns for the parts are nearly all cut out and I'll post a blog when I start building, I've also had the plans reduced to 3/4 scale for a Cox Black Widow, and it's then another standard Webbitt for my SC15.

I've taken some time out for a session this afternoon with the Easy Cub, a couple of hours for some bank and yank, loops, inverted circuits, barrel rolls, touch and go's. I've got a grin a mile wide at the moment , it's a bit over powered but it's real fun.
My mate who was with me flew his T28, practicing rolls and loops high up he had a Buzzard taking an interest in his model , fantastic.

As for the Electric Webbitt, the wings are now almost ready for covering.

So it may get it's maiden on Sunday weather permitting, then it's on with the Baby Webbitt. As usual I'll post photo's as I go along.

Cheers,

Chris.

Having taken advantage of the good flying weather with another session with the T28 and Cub on Sunday have slowed things down a bit, but it's getting back on track for a maiden this weekend .
All sheeting completed and servo boxes in, I've opted for two 9 gram servo's rather than one servo with toque rods, and I've glued balsa blocks in at the leading and trailing edge so I can use wing bolts if I choose too. The extra weight is negligible. Trailing edges and ailerons hinged, and just the two balsa wing tips fitted. Underside of the wing.

Top of the wing.

Servo boxes from the top.

And from the underside.

A bit more sanding and it should be ready for covering.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Bill,

Thanks mate, I've just come in from the shed, and just covered the under side of the wings trying to follow Richards advise. It was all going well, then two winkles that I couldn't get rid of . Must try harder, as my old maths teacher used to say. Still, moving on, the servo's are in and tomorrows another day. I'm determined to fly it this weekend and if I can manage to get my flying buddy to get some photo's, I'll post em on the forum.

It should have been last weekend, but I couldn't resist the weather window to ring out the T28 with some aerobatics too one of my favorite music tracks in my head (Adagio from the Sky two album), didn't work fully, but it's coming along, and stooging the Easy cub around for a bit.

Glad to hear your on the mend, and hope the build threads on the forum help when your kit arrives.

Cheers,

Chris.

Still with the wings, the top is covered now, with some Solartrim added with decals.

As for side thrust, May be just a smidgen.

Down-thrust, about 3 degrees,

Just the ailerons to fit and link up,

I'm happy with that, despite the dodgy covering. Might nick the idea for a radial cowl just to finish it off.

Chris.

Ok Guy's,

Final weight 1074g or 38.3oz in old money, on the watt meter the motor ( A2814 8T) 1000Kv from BRC on a 9x6 doing 250 watts on a 3s 2200 Overlander lipo, with a 40 amp ESC from BRC. two HS81 servo's on rudder elevator, and two New Power 9g's on the ailerons.

Final connection to the ailerons, laggy the wings on,

Good photo it aint, but it fly's, Just needed two clicks of down for straight and level, aileron authority is very good as is the elevator right down to less than 1/8 throttle then it fades off very quickly. I set the FF7 up for 80% on low rates and 120% on high with the CG just aft of the main spar by 5mm needing 30 grams of ballast in the nose. power off the elevator needs to be fed in very early and the speed drops off rapidly.

Cheers,

Chris.