Plan previews?

Not sure about the ladder, Danny, but I've certainly seen pictures of a spare prop strapped under the cockpit - and by all accounts she needed it!

I don't know how soon after the Australia record attempt G-AAAH was taken out of service but I'd like to imagine that the condition is representative of the way it finished up after the adventures along the way.

It's a little ironic that we tend to spend so much time getting a pristine finish on our models when most full size subjects tend to have so many lumps, bumps and rough edges when you see them at close quarters!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/04/2011 23:42:40

Advert

I'm not anti-electric by any means Ton, but I just can't make the switch (no pun intended) to electric powered scale models of i.c. engined aircraft - I suppose it's along the lines of steam engines versus electric trains - no argument that the electric version is cleaner, more efficient and easier to operate in both cases but they just "ain't got no soul".

Actually, I've fibbed a bit here as I did build an EP Tony Nijhuis Mossie a couple of years ago but since when did logic come into this hobby!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/04/2011 23:39:22

Ton I must have more pictures but can't put my hands on them right now. Yes he did a great job. I may even have pictures of the sorry state she came to me in.

If I can't find pics, it's a great excuse to get her out and have a good fly again. She really is lovely to fly around at low throttle (electric) and pootle around the sky very slowly indeed.

She now has some dummy rigging wires and Danny keeps pushing me to produce a replica Cirrus engine with the full exhaust...

Martin,

Well must say that I always have enjoyed the i.c. and still love to hear a 4 stroke doing its thing specialy a 2 or more cilinder motor.

But with all the noise problem back then for me the switch to e-flight was the most sensible way and yes I miss the noise sometimes but then again I can fly electric when ever I like to fly.

Must also admit that seeing on our own club in Holland that everyone who is going electric make the switch to foam models and the real modellers disapear and turn in to arf-ers.

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 13/04/2011 23:56:32:
Must also admit that seeing on our own club in Holland that everyone who is going electric make the switch to foam models and the real modellers disapear and turn in to arf-ers.

Ton
It is very easy to go down the foamy ARTF route.

Oddly though we have always had an "electric only" fun fly at our club that attracted electric fliers from the whole UK.
At that, we always had the most interesting self builds and plan builds. Mostly scale. Far more than we ever did at the I/C event.
For example

Sadly, enough of our club has decided that we don't need to differentiate any more, so that event has been scrapped. I believe that we will now see very much more ARTF models come to our events and they will be all the same.

Tom ,

Thanks for the great photo .

Chris .

Thanks for the pics would love to visit the RCME meeting some day who knows maybe next year, we can do some Moth flying together at the meeting.

Very nice line up of models you have there.

And yes totaly agreed with Danny go for the "replica Cirrus engine with the full exhaust."

Ton

Chris ,

Yes I did read about cancelling the meeting its a pitty the pics comming by were all just great looking models and loved it.

The model on the photo is just a great example of what modellers can do its a beauty and should make a great plan for RCME.

Still its good to see here on the forum that there are some nice build project comming by and that its not all arf.

Ton

We are probably getting a bit off topic here, though its nice to chat of these things

Martin you are probably right it may have been a spare prop rather than a ladder, (better go to spec savers). A Moth tribute at a funfly would be great Ton but at the rate I build and the queue of unfinished models is something I really must address. But we can certainly try. There may be others that would like to join in perhaps? Perhaps the Webbiteers that have a new found taste for building?

Anyway back to the subject of the thread. KC was very kind enough to let me know that plan RC135 has folding wings, and he sent me a copy of an article written by Dr Mike Sun who KC thinks drew RC135 however the name on the Myhobbystore web site is J.Bertola
This just highlights the problems we are having trying to purchase a plan.

I still have no idea of the methods used by the designer not whether the drawing is very accurate (Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for an F4C model). Anyway when the drawing arrives I will let you know.

Ton you started that Cirrus drawing thread yet? And when can I order my laser parts

Cheers
Danny

I can clarify the plan number thing. From memory Mike Sun's construction article said he built the original Bertola plan and then realised he could build one much lighter and this is published as RC135. I believe the original plan had a different number and might still be avail. Some American looked for a DH 60 plan some time ago and I looked up the Mike Sun plan number for him but the plan was wrongly numbered, eventually someone from MyHobbyStores found the plan and changed the website details to what we see today. So the website may not be strictly correct, but I bet my memory (as above ) will be proven correct when I dig out the original mag for Danny. Probably have to wait until after Easter, Danny if that's OK.

Mike Sun used to fly his model at Old Warden Scale Day in the late 1980's and it flew remarkably well.

Well I have just found the magazine RCME Sept 1980 and my memory was not quite right but it's better than MyHobbyStores website! The mag says Mike Sun revised his own plan and lightened it to produce RC135. His first model weighed 6.25 pounds and was powered by Merco 61 the second model weighed 5 pounds and used an Enya 45 and had sprung axle.
There may be a Bertola plan of the DH60 I am sure I found something on the website before and it has different number. When i told MyHobbyStores the Mike Sun plan number they found it for the american but didnt quite put it right they mixed it up a bit. Note the RC135 was located because I had an old Plans Handbook to find the number. Without that the plan would be still lost!
There is also plan RM179 by Gordon Whitehead 45 inch span Radio Modeller June 77
Rest assured the Mike Sun plan is ( was ) RC135 in the original article.

Anyway i found 2 copies of RCME Sept 80 so 1 copy is available for a swop for a plan or something I dont have.

• 8 months later...
The more information you can get on any given plan the better the decision you can make as to not you want to actually build it. Being cynical by nature perhaps that is the ulterior motive for NOT providing the information. We may then buy less plans than otherwise. Certainly two or three pictures of a completed model and as some other person suggested perhaps a small portion of the plan. I myself, recently bought two EP powered designs only to find they were both nothing like what I had anticipated as both were for Ni-Cad power at least certainly not Li-Po which meant it had just been a waste of my money.

nt,
I'm planning to build a revised old electric model with lipo power. I am actually looking forward to the challenge of doing it, and as it is a scale subject of a Tupolev TB-3, I also want to do the 2 x 2 bladed props strapped together to make a four blader of the original - at least for display!

Thi however is some time away - space and funds are limited.

In short, half the fun of trad building is figuring things out!