Premier 1/4-scale piper cub J3 cockpit

Rob Dunn

Hi All

I am building a premier 1/4 scale piper cub j3 kit, i intentions are to complete the model to true scale well to the best i can as i would like to enter this model into static compertions.
The problems i am having is finding a scale cockpit can anyone point me in the direction of where i may beable to purchase one or eeven know anyone who has built there own cockpit and may have some sort of drawing or plan.

Any help in this matter would be great as i can not carry on with the build.

Hope everyone is making the most of the good weather Happy Flying

Advert

If you want to do a proper scale job then I'd recommend chatting up the owner of a real life example to allow you to take photos and measurements of the real thing. What you'll find is that there's probably no two examples exactly the same, due to the age and nature of the aircraft.

As well as getting the raw data, you'll also get the feel of the real thing which no amount of looking at photos can give you. Acheiving this is the most satisfying part of scale modelling in my opinion. It will also show you that the smooth and perfect finish you're probably aiming at is nothing like reality on 99.9% of all full sized aircraft!

I've searched the 'net for examples to use for my (re)build of a 1/4 scale Cub but have decided to model a "generic" example rather than a particular one as I'm doing the job for my personal satisfaction rather than competition work - but if you're keen to reproduce an actual one, you could do worse than visit the CAA database G-INFO (try entering j3, L4, cub or something similar/appropriate in the Aircraft Type or Name box) and pick a possible one from there - many have photos and all have the latest owner's details.

The worst that's likely to happen is a polite refusal but owners of aircraft like these are almost invariably enusiasts and quite likely to be happy to assist and interested in the outcome.

hi Martin

thanks for the advice i've got the traplet photo cd on the cub coming which hopefully help at the moment i doing the scale for my own perpose as this is my first proper scale plane, but looking in the future to go into compertions so any help in always greatful.
Now just have to find someone with a cub to poke around .

thanks for the advice

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I picked up a Premier 1/4 scale piper cub j3 kit at the last Loughborough MFC table sale. The fuselage is about complete but that is all and I intend to finish it as a winter project with a CRRC-pro 25cc petrol engine up front.

My problem is that the kit doesn't have its instructions and, more importantly, a parts list and I'm having trouble matching the strip provided to the model and not knowing what should be hardwood and what balsa doesn't help. I was hoping that you would copy the parts list and let me have a copy by email or post, any expenses would be paid.

A site that has some good detailed photos of a Cub cockpit and the rest of the aircraft can be found Piper Cub walkaround

• 8 years later...

Thanks for the replys . I only need a Plan .' If I have to I will use a set of Sig !/4 plans for the outline .and see how that goes. The kits on its way from the USA soon.I just love cubs have more kits and built models than any other Model I 4 x 1/4 scale and one 1/4 Super cub 5 x 1/5 sig kits. Take care Australia is getting on top of the Virus with only 11 new in the state of Victoria

There definiely was a manufacturer called Premier - and at some time this design was also sold as Aerotech.

I don't want to let go of my plans Paul - and having witnessed the copying process at my local branch of Staples I don't think the rather aged paper would survive the copying machine - but I'm more than happy to photograph them for you to add detail to your overlay idea.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/09/2020 13:20:54

All good ,no fantastic Now that I have seen the actual plan design it will be so easy to use the sig plans.. I use an A Justo Jig for the wing,,No wing plan required as the wing is made off the plan . The Fus design is so slimmer to the great planes design Piper cub. I can use the parts to construct a plan on the back of the Sig design plan, easy as a walk in the park, Martin I must say how pleased to receive the plan copies regardless of there size It is great to understand what will be required to do when the Kit arrives to make a workable plan. I'm in your dept. Thanks for the effort you put in for me to have my head in a place I can start building when the Kit arrives from the USA Yours Paul T