Armstrong Whitworth FK10 Quadruplane.

Tim Hooper

Just blowing the dust off another old model for the coming season's flying!

The (2004) Quad was built following the succes of the (Peter Rake) Triplane, and is actually the first model that I ever designed from scratch. No point in messing about with a simple one, eh?

Information about the original is pretty scant, but I found a 3-view on the net and worked from there.

Actually, it's pretty straightforward and looks a lot more complicated than it really is. All the wing panels are virtually identical to each, the tail is cut from bits of stripwood, and the fuselage is just a square-section box (with stringers stuck on. I doubled the areas of the tail surfaces as thay looked a tad small to my eye!

The Quad spans a huge 34" and weighs a coincidental 34oz. Power is from a little Typhoon 15/10, spinning a 10x5 prop. Originally fitted with 7x1300 nicads in the cowl, it now sports an 3S 1800 li-po instead. Mind you, 4 of the original nicads have been kept as ballast.

All 8 ailerons are couple together, and little bit of rudder is mixed-in. That, allied to the all-flying tailplane, keeps things quite lively in the air, although the Quad is eminently controllable for all that.

The model is covered in Litespan and silver Solite.

As is my habit with multi-wingers, the wings uplug as handed cells for storage/transport without any fuss, and are retained to the fuselage by a single flying wire that runs from the front undercarriage leg to the top of the outer strut.  Works well, and avoids undue messing about at the field!

Hope nobody minds me showing this too much!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 29/04/2011 10:38:00

Edited By Tim Hooper on 29/04/2011 10:39:26

Advert

Many thanks Gents!

To answer a couple of the questions asked;-

kiwi, I'm not entirely sure about the next project as yet, but sometime inthe future I'd like to do a bigger Quad! I have this hazy dream about a Dawn Patrol-sized 1/3 scale Quad pottering about the skies! Although such a model would 'only' have a span of just over 9 feet, it would stand 4 feet tall! Sadly I have neither the resources or skills to carry this out successfully at the moment.

Mind you, it's not out of the question that I might compromise and go for, say, a 60" version sometime in the next year or so......

If anyone is interested the RC Groups build thread of my little 'un can be found here;

Tony, I've got a couple more I could showcase, but I'm a bit reticent as they were published by another magazine and I don't want to abuse my priveleges on this forum! Perhaps Timbo or BEB could look into this for me?

fb3, Funnily enough, setting all the wings at the same incidence is so unbelievable easy to do! I use the following method on all of my multi-wingers. After deciding that simply setting the flat undersides of the wings parallel with the fuselage datum would be sufficient I headed for the scraps box and, working over the plan, I knocked up a 'ladder jig' from balsa strip and clamped this to the side of the fuselage when working on the wing root attachments.

Later on, the jig is simply moved outboards when working out the interplane strut.

Using bits of packing, you can allow for tapered panels, different dihedral amouts, etc. In fact, I've used the same idea to set the wings on the latest (Cygnet) project, using a packing piece on the lower 'rung' of the ladder to build in the dihedral on the lower wing.

Easy peasy, and keeps everything aligned!

tim

Thanks Hugh!

Actually the CG was a doddle to work out - all the wings are identical and evenly spaced, so I drew an imaginary line between 25% MAC on the upper wing, down to 25% on the lower wing. Half way along that line is where the CG landed! Easy peasy.....

tim