crimpers and stuff

hi all,not quite sure the best place for this thread but here it is.
i am being driven to distraction trying to find a servo wire and plug crimping kit,i can find articles on how to do it and also discussions on which one works best but i can't seem to find any for sale in the uk.
help please.

Posted by James M on 09/05/2011 09:38:31:
Crimping tool
I've got one of those and while I have made successful crimps with it, I don't find it easy to use and after watching Timbo's video of his crimping tool in action I'm even less impressed.

If you can track down the "Timbo version" I think you'd be far better off...

I tried those referred to above and had very little success with them, but then found these on the 4Max site which are excellent.

Do get more plugs and sockets than you need, as there is definitely a learning curve - I think I went through about 8 pins for my first plug - but once you get the knack it is straight forward.

Once you add solder to a join it becomes a lot more brittle Eric.....add vibration and you have a accident waiting to happen. Crimping done properly and with the correct tool (that's the important bit!!) is just fine. Trust me i crimp wires all day long and we never solder any wires on a race car.

Hi All

I use pliers to do the job! I just googled the link above, it was the first link I found!

Needle nose to start the bend then square ended pliers to give the final crimp.

Also have used a crimping tool similar to the one on the link after starting the crimp with needle nose pliers (i usually mislay this crimper at home!) It is a bit easier that just using pliers.

But what ever works well - and safely in to days climate - to get the job done!

James

Which one, Andrew? I've just had a chance to re-try my Jamara ones and I'm still unimpressed...

Although the insulation grips have formed adequately, there is virtually no crimping of the conductor. I tried inserting a pin from the other direction as well with virtually the same result.

The main difference between these and Timbo's crimping tool's jaws seems to be that his are stepped in order to form the smaller conductor crimp properly.

....if anyone was wondering, this is the video Timbo posted that I'm referring to:

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/05/2011 00:04:50

Hi All

Looking at the ease at which you can do the leads with the correct tool I have bought the bullet and bought a crimping tool also.

Went with Colin's recommendation from 4 max.

I can tidy up a few models with it!

James

I have had a cheap crimping tool similar to the Jamara one for about five years.

It is more basic with only two gaps for the connectors, marked 28-24-20! And stamped Taiwan.

The 'gaps' in mine are stepped, I only use normal JR /Futaba plugs, I use the gap nearest the tip, It takes a while to work out how to use it, but now get about 9 out of 10 satisfactory connections.
When it goes wrong, the conductor gets squeezed out of its position, I can actually feel it going wrong as I complete the action of bringing the handles together.

I can't remember where I bought it.

I have had a quick look for crimping tools. There are a few stores that stock the Jamara one. Or similar.

The basic one I have is on the Hansen Hobbies site (in the USA) they also sell a better quality one similar to Tim's.

I didn't buy mine from them, I might have bought it at a show.

Having said that, I have just looked at Inwood Models and they have a crimper for £15.99, but no picture to identify it.

Edited By Richard Bond on 11/05/2011 09:07:05

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 11/05/2011 06:56:56:
I think these various comments here just go to prove how important it is to to get the correct tool for the job - that picture of Martin's shows the result.
I wish I could find a supplier of the crimpers I have, but sadly I have had no success.

Tim have you looked at CPC , Monacor, AVSL, or Radio Spares ?

Edited By tom wright 2 on 13/05/2011 22:56:02

• 4 weeks later...
I'll admit to buying a Jamara crimp tool from Al's hobbies. As previous posts have indicated, I find it completely unsuitable for crimping servo plugs. The jaws are not stepped, the profile of the wire and insulation jaw sections are the same, so the although the insulation is crimped OK, it makes a complete mess of the actual wire crimp. Beneath the Jamara 'Crimpzange fur Servosteck' sticky label it says it is a D-Sub crimping tool - a different animal all together.

I don't mind paying a fair price for decent tools, but I don't consider the Jamara tool is suitable for 'Servosteck'!

Colin, does the 4 Max crimp tool have stepped jaws?