self assessment tax return

r6dan

Hi all, I have filed my tax return on-line does anyone know how long it takes to get overpaid tax back?

Advert

Netty (who does this sort of thing for a living) says it could take several weeks, and HMRC will first contact you to ask how you'd like it to be paid.

Choices are; cash transfer or offset against this years bill.

So......what's on the shopping list then?

tim

Well, i did the on line one and you just give `em your bank details and they say it just goes in once its processed???

Not sure whats on the list but a glens 35% extra takes my fancy... or maybe a global rc 50cc sukhoi su26

A story about "the taxman". For various complex reasons - mainly admin errors by my employer - I ended up a couple of months ago with a seriously incorrect taxcode. Because this I got taxed one month with zero tax allowances - absolutely zlich, 100% taxable income.

I rang the tax people. They were great - really helpful. Sorted out the code straight away, worked out what I would be owed, the lot. But they couldn't actually refund the incorrect tax for the simple reason that they didn't have it - my employer still had it.

OK, I think, simple enough, I'll just ring payroll and ask them to pay me back the tax taken in error. If they are in any doubt about it the tax people said "Just get them to ring us and we'll OK it". Great.

Only not great, my employer's payroll dept was about as unco-operative as its possible to be. No they wouldn't refund it, no they wouldn't contact the tax people, I'd have to wait. As it was a substantial amount of cash we were talking about, and just before Christmas, I persisted - eventually getting as far as the Finance Director, and I did get the money back. But it just shows you, often we call the tax people for this or that, but in this case they were really good - its my employer (who's mistake the whole thing was) that proved to be the problem!

BEB

Not about the tax man but I have just had a run in with my bank. I have been a customer there for 47 years and have lived at the same address for that length of time.

Now I live in a village 8 miles from the local town. both the town and my village have streets with the same name. My "Street" is a country lane with three houses in it.

The other day my new cheque book arrived with a note scrawled on it, "Not No 17". an when I looked they had missed out the village name. I then checked back and found that they had been doing this since 2005. (You don't expect to have to check that they are still using the correct address after over 40 years)

I phoned the bank and complained loud and long. I was promised that they had changed the address back to the correct one. Just to make sure I visited the bank the next day with a letter of complaint. Again they checked and assured me that all was well now.

Two days later I got a letter again reassuring me that the address had been changed and how sorry they were.

The only trouble was that the letter was addressed WITHOUT the village name.

Another long and rather heated phone call to the bank. The lady says that she has wiped all the addresses and redone the correct one as dictated by me.

There was one plus side. She has paid me £5 for each of my phone calls and £30 for the visit to the bank. OH good, the wood for my next model.

I now wait with baited breath for the next statement or letter.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/05/2011 08:25:16

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/05/2011 08:26:32

Not all dealings with the Inland Revenue are a pleasure.

I personally, spotted that something did not seem correct with respect to the description of an item within the tax code breakdown, i received, last year. I phoned, to establish what the item was, they said that they had assumed I was working, in some capacity and that was in respect to these earnings. I pointed out that since retirement I had annually filled in a declaration, which stated I was not in payed employment and had not worked.

A refund was agreed, which covered a number of years. In previous years, only the tax code was given, not the detail of how it was assembled, this is how I had over looked the now apparently high tax coding. Weeks went by, no refund. I phoned the tax office, asking about the refund. Oh you want it? Yes I said, if I under-payed you, would you want the underpayment? The reply was, we thought we would adjust your tax code for the next year. As it is a few thousand pounds, I would like the refund now.

I also got involved with my mothers tax affairs, when she received a tax demand for back payment. It turned out that all the errors were theirs, the inland Revenue. Would they accept that? No! It was very fortunate, that my mother, an ex accountant, had five files covering five years, covering all correspondence and photocopies of Tax documents filed in. We involved our MP. We were then invited into the tax office for an interview. Even with all the documents available, the message of the tax people was," no there is no record on the tax system". Each time I replied as a parrot, here is the document which covers that period, as supplied to you. The sums are clearly stated. After about two hours, they said, we will amend out records. For an 86 year old, these events are quite traumatic. Yet the same process has re-occurred. Now my mother photocopies the documents which seem to drop into a black hole within the various tax offices, as the queries arise.

There are from the users point of view, to many tax offices, which apparently do not share or have access to the same data and a tax form which which is far to complex

Not all dealings with the Tax people are without stress.

Mixed bag with me.

I forgot to claim mileage allowance relief for 5 years - and they ended up owing me over £2,500.

They claimed they lost all my letters and faxes, and that sending recorded delivery was not proof of receipt.

Eventually got the full sum and an apology for the poor service.

My accountent has totally let me down.He has not done my tax return,he has removed my accounts from my computer without my knowledge and then told me I owe money without sending me an invoice.I paid the money he saidI owed and Ive now had to appoint a new accountant not having heard from the other one.Not sure what i do about my lost accounts,.

Stephen, I understand that the lost accounts are a problem, as you are required to keep a record of the last 5yrs financial transactions. As with most things, you need some one with sufficient knowledge to detail what that means in practical terms. I would guess, the IR will expect a detailed account of your income. Any allowances and expenses to be claimed are your problem. If you cannot give an adequate account of your income, a very good tax accountant is required by yourself, before you even contemplate dealing with the IR..