The joy of slope

I wondered how long it would be David!!

Welcome to the most natural way of flying!! If there is one way to "hone skills", then flying slope is definately the way to do it!!!

Now the BIG QUESTION..... Are you looking for a speed demon, a gentle sloper or a combat model!????

Look forward to seeing you on the slopes when you venture to the N.W.!!

Dave

wink

Posted by David Ashby on 14/03/2012 09:22:59:

Well I'm a slope virgin no longer as I joined mate Rob and the existing lads at a local slope last week. A bit chilly....no, hang on, make that very cold but very enjoyable and interesting. I think I'll probably be more of a three-season part-time sloper but I'm now on the prowl for a suitable airframe/s.

There's no hope now.....................................wink 2

There I was last Monday night at an Aussie Floyd concert when on the big round screen was displayed some very nice scenery with a chap standing on top of a mountain. All those lights, singing, instruments and very nice dancing backing singers could not provide enough sensory input to stop me thinking, "Now that would be a good place to do a bit of sloping". Ah, well disgust.

The time will come when you just can't fight it any more and all you can do is embrace the pleasure smile.

Thanks lads, well I started with my Blaze for a few flights and just glided it around (without power of course) and got used to things - didn't have a problem and landed, again, power off, behind the slope ok. All good. smile

Then I switched to a 2nd-hand Phase 6 I'd bought from a chap and immediately noticed just how much better it was - immesurably so, very nice. Then I had a bit of a disaster - the receiver died, or rather it didn't give me any up elevator and so the model went in, not good.

Retrieved it and assumed it was a faulty servo or perhaps a stripped splines on the servo arm but got it home for a closer look and traced it to the rx - basically the rx did all that was asked but refused to provide up-elevator (plenty of down elevator!).

Must admit I've never seen this before - I fly all 2-3 times a week all year with not a glitch and then first time on the slope and pop. Ah well.....dont know

So it's left me wondering what to get/build. I'm not really attracted to foam in all honesty, I'm wondering whether to get/build another Phase 6 or get a mouldie of some sort? Suggestions very welcome.

Edited By David Ashby on 14/03/2012 16:12:06

The beauty of foam David is the amount of punishment it can take, especially on landing, which is why they are so good for a newbie.

Balsa built models are nick named "Crunchies" for a reason, and I've seen a few crunch on a hard landing, whether that be due to the flyer getting it wrong or a gust of wind hitting it just before it touches down.

Mouldies are great, but they do require some skill in landing them, and when they break they are that much more difficult to fix. Ask me how I know crook

Of course Stan Yeo at PMP is now producing the aerobatic Pzaz as a CNC, lazer cut wood kit, if you wanted to go down that route. The choice is all yours.

Pzazz 1

On my bench I currently have a 'Rebound' Homebrew

Rebound fully sheeted and sanded 2

A VMG homebrew IOM

Sanded

But.............And this is point I'm getting to, it's my birthday very soon and here's what I'm hoping for wink

http://www.cloudmodels.com/solange.html

It's a little bit diffferent for a balsa kit

Hi Steve

Not sure if you've read the Solange blurb but it was concieved by the designer for flying at the Bwlch. There's a bit of a story but I fully intend to fly/film the Solange at the Bwlch as a testimony.

Will try to catch up with the A470 crowd this year but for convience I do most of my flying locally at South Gower, it's also a lot less scary than the Crest!

Yes FWAL I did read the blurb and was very interested in that bit. I'd love to build something like that but just don't have the room or tools in my little flat for that. And its a good price too.

The Crest scary? I guess it does look very formidable. I flew its baby sister, the Wrecker on my first visit to the Bwlch and it was only my second time flying slope. Now that was scary! But Roger, (Cliff Hanger) launched my Wildthing for me and after a few seconds, I was loving every minute of it. I now love flying the Crest but the wind isn't easterly that often.