A rather large PT-17 - watch the vid!

Advert

Dangerous? not really, if its anything like over here, then its vetted, the install is vetted, it has to be aproved to fly, take hours to get through its flight tests, BUT, it is a tad on the OTT size, but then, thats europe they go much bigger than over here, models like this in the UK, would only get flown at shows, and they would have to obey strict criteria as to where they are flown, the size doesnt worry me, its going to sleep flying the thing that worries me

I ask the question when they get that big. WHY.?????

surely the detail can be put into a smaller aircraft.. but dont get me wrong .
Great aircraft and if you can build this big good on you.
surely a microlight makes more sense ...

the large model movement is full of folk who want to go bigger, not for ego, but because they dont want to always fly standard size models, i am one of them, most, like me, also have standard size models, the biggys get a fly only now and again, and they give me great pleasure, i also, like many others, have display models in the workshop, and yes, they too are big, i also like classic 1950s american car models, and yes, these are big, my caddy convertible is all of 22 inches long!! i like big models, but ego? no, not really, but i do have a great respect for the guys at shows who entertain me with creations that have taken years to reach the air, a model that has taken hundreds, if not thousands of hous and pounds to build, is taken for granted, and dismissed the year after as seen before, most of the models to be seen this year are new builds, some have been commisioned builds, like Alis ME 262, well, so what, if they want to spend money to make me smile, i will be eternally greatfull, and will buy them BEER

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 29/06/2011 06:40:36:
the size doesnt worry me, its going to sleep flying the thing that worries me

LOL, yes, size apart it looks a bit boring to fly

Surely, this was a first test flight and if I'd seen a model of that size thrown about like a Wot4 before a considerable amount of testing I would have been more than a little concerned.

There's no reason why a Stearman shouldn't be flown quite aerobatically - the real thing is more than capable and surely, any pilot with pretentions to scale flying should be able to satisfy themselves by performing suitable manouevres in as realistic manner as possible. A model this size should be hugely rewarding to fly...

Next, someone will tell me that they were bored watching Ali flying his half sized clipped wing Cub - to me, it was the highlight of Wings and Wheels a couple of years ago and although there were many faster and more aerobatic models which were very impressive in their own way, the sheer realism of the Cub had me captivated.

when he comes to terms with it, it may get more interesting, but it didnt sound exactly overpowered and it wasnt to throttled back either, its early doors for the model, i expect it will get more interesting,

regarding the if the radio fails question, it will have 2 systems, and 2 battery packs, if it was mine, it would also have a power box fitted, to distribute the power evenly to every corner, as a large model it is inhernetly safer than the average club model,

regarding the i am not rich thing, neither am i, but one day my son, we will be millionaires, now, wheres that old watch