Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Advert

My blades befor covering.

foto demo 050.jpg

After covering, they are black at the top side and white at the underside.

foto demo 054.jpg

In the square is a small piece of oracover glued, neccessary to get the weight equal again.

All 4 blades are 48 gramm after covering

The blades i sanded in a jig as Andy Nash shows some posts back. Picture of my sanding jig.

foto demo 055.jpg

Control rods as they are on mine.

foto demo 052.jpg

Picture from the blade balancer

foto demo 053.jpg

Aldo i extended the nose, to get the lipo in the batterybox, with 3 cm. I have to put aproxx. 190 gram lead behind the motor to get the Panther balanced.

To save weight i used already 4mm balsa for the rudder, The uppersides 2 mm instead of 3mm

foto demo 051.jpg

To balance i use a scale and some math to find the CofG at the moment of weighing and the with a little math you know where and how much weight you have to ad or substract.

Koen

Edited By Koen Smits on 20/03/2013 17:34:03

Posted by John Elkins on 20/03/2013 17:18:01:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tips on ballancing. All seems a bit daunting.

Not got any Balsaloc can I use Clearcoat or Sanding sealer?

Cheer

John, I use spray on polyurethane varnish on the light blades to get them up to the same weight. After covering check the c of g again and, choose the blade with the balance point nearest to the root and balance the others to match. I add insulating tape to get the baalance correct. If you then find a blade that is lighter than the others then add tape to the c of g. Thats how we used to balance wooden heli blades back in the day!

Tim

Posted by Malcolm on 19/03/2013 23:12:03:

If you want the rods as vertical as possible, then another factor which determines if the rods are vertical is the hole used in the servo arm connecting the rod.

I randomly chose hole 4 (from the servo inner) and it looks like I'd need 50% rated down travel to get the correct movement, so as I finalize the setup it looks like I need to halve the mechanical movement (or a bit less to allow for any changes after test flight),

Which Servo holes did the flight tested models finish up with?

Malcolm

I used the outer holes on both servos, and -10% expo on roll and pitch

Posted by John Elkins on 20/03/2013 17:18:01:

Thanks for the tips on ballancing. All seems a bit daunting.

Not got any Balsaloc can I use Clearcoat or Sanding sealer?

John,

You can use what ever you like, balsaloc is just an example of what I use. I am sure clearcoat or sanding sealer will be just fine.

David,

Yes there is a fly-in this year up at Winterton, it is a good weekend and very very friendly. We always seem to have mode 1 and 2 pilots who are prepared to test fly others models. It is nothing too serious just a friendly get together of like minded fools.

Of course if anyone does fancy a ride to the midlands I am quite prepared to test anyones model and give the new gyronut a bit of guideance and of course a go with one of my models if they so wish.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 20/03/2013 19:39:19

Terry, well spotted, it is the front half of a can motor reduction gearbox with a 4mm output shaft. I use them on most my autogyros incuding my Rex XL which weighs nearly eight pounds. Although I have broken almost every part of an autogyro in my time, I have never had one fail and some of them have
200 plus flights on them.
Cheers
Rich.

Rich E

Ref your 21/3/13: 11.30 post. Delighted to hear that you have found 4 mm shaft boxes OK. I have got a Multiplex 600 gear box with a 4 mm output shaft which I was thinking of using, what do you think?

Forgive this, probably ,stupid question, but do you use a normal friction prop driver to hold the rotor on or do have to thread the shaft and use lock nuts?

I made my first post on this blog back on page 15 but haven't appeared since because all my questions are being answered before I ask them! Thanks to this I am making good progress and really enjoying the build.

Regards to all

Barry

I have been thinking about the bearing assemblies used from gearbox type applications. I suspect that they are primarily designed for radial loads, rather than thrust. I am not sure that it matters, in most cases. It is perhaps worthwhile examining the arrangements , just to satisfy yourself, that there is not a potential problem.

Posted by Erfolg on 21/03/2013 18:03:08:

I have been thinking about the bearing assemblies used from gearbox type applications. I suspect that they are primarily designed for radial loads, rather than thrust. I am not sure that it matters, in most cases. It is perhaps worthwhile examining the arrangements , just to satisfy yourself, that there is not a potential problem.

Erfolg

This issue came up on the cranefly thread sometime back. At that time I looked up the spec of a 3mm ID bearing, it was rated at 300N radial load and 75N axial load, so i dont think there should be any worry. These bearings are also used with axial loads on every brushless motor draging your plane around the sky with the prop pulling on the weak" axis

Malcolm

Posted by Bass on 21/03/2013 17:11:36:

I made my first post on this blog back on page 15 but haven't appeared since because all my questions are being answered before I ask them! Thanks to this I am making good progress and really enjoying the build.

Regards to all

Barry

Hi Barry.

Glad you are enjoying the build. Now the cat is out of the bag we would like to see your build. cheeky

Pics please mate.

Regards

Andy

Malcolm

I think that 75N is about a mass of 8kg, in what passes for English money. If the model has a mass of say 2kg, there seems to be a Factor of Safety of 4. In reality it will be lower, may be 1.5 or even less.

What causes me to be conservative is that looking at the shaft size that experience dictates, i would have thought that under a static load, 3mm dia shaft would kill the duty. The reality seems to be that +6mm is required, due to dynamic and bending forces rather than the static load indications.

In practise, i guess it will not cause any problems, perhaps other than higher wear than anticipated.

Erfolg,

I think the biggest danger to our bearings and shafts is an inbalance of the rotating assembly. This has happened to myself with a 4mm shaft snapping in flight and also to a friend whose top flanged bearing collapsed.

This was early on in my autogyro adventure and caused purely through my blades being out of balance. Something at the time I thought would be fine. Always worth that extra bit of effort to get the blades balancing to the best of the individuals ability.

Rich