Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Hi Joseph,

my Panther used a standard JR 591 servo which I use on all my sports models as they are 5kg pull. The servo arm is also a standard one . Arm length between the closed loop links is 30mm. Looking at the forum I adjusted the other horns and radio setting to give approx 45 degrees Rudder movement each way.

My roll and pitch servos initially were tower pro 996s then I changed to 946s which seemed smoother.

Good luck with the build and keep the posts coming. I really pleased with my Panther and the second is on the building board for a 4 stroke engine..

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 31/07/2013 23:07:43

Advert

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with electric motor setups.

Has anybody come up with the ideal setup, Motor, ESC, Prop and Battery for the Panther? (average weight)

I'm getting used to the flying at last. Orientation much better.

Cheers. John

Like any good trainer, the Panther appears to tolerate a wide range of power setups so I doubt we would agree on an 'ideal setup'! FWIW, here's mine:

AUW 4lb
Motor - EMax BL2820/07 960kv
ESC - HobbyWing 40A w.uBEC
Prop - APCe 12 x 6
Battery - 3s x 3000mah

Full throttle current draw is 25a for 7500rpm, approx 70W/lb

I only get close to full throttle when trying to get the model rolling on thick grass so I reckon 70W/lb is more than enough. At the moment the orientation issue demands such concentration that my brain fades long before the battery so I'm afraid I can't give a true estimate of flight duration with the 3000mah pack yet.

Trevor

Hi,

My AUW is 5lb which includes 2 x 2.2. 3s batteries(parallel) and a receiver pack (esc is opt isolated)

I needed extra nose weight so opted for 2 x batteries for c of g and extra duration.

Motor 1250kv, Prop 11x7 pulling 45amps. Nearly 500W

I get approx 6 mins on this setup.

I dont feel its overpowered but want to up the duration by bringing down the amps.

Tried smaller props but power is severly reduced.

Feel my setup is all wrong but I've not got the know how to correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards John

For anyone considering 2 stroke power mine is 4lbs all up with an OS32, running an 11x4apc prop. Balance was achieved with the ex battery under the tank bay and as advised by Andy a SLEC 4oz tank.

Power seems good at just over half throttle with some in hand. Flight times of nearly 10 mins on 3ozof fuel.

Some recent flying have seen 25size powers Panthers struggle to get airborne so the 32 seems a good start...

Posted by John Elkins on 05/08/2013 17:03:31:

Hi,

My AUW is 5lb which includes 2 x 2.2. 3s batteries(parallel) and a receiver pack (esc is opt isolated)

I needed extra nose weight so opted for 2 x batteries for c of g and extra duration.

Motor 1250kv, Prop 11x7 pulling 45amps. Nearly 500W

I get approx 6 mins on this setup.

I dont feel its overpowered but want to up the duration by bringing down the amps.

Tried smaller props but power is severly reduced.

Feel my setup is all wrong but I've not got the know how to correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards John

Hi John

She does look good, well done.

The result of having a high autogyro weight is we need to have the rotors tilted backward more. sad

This will cause more drag, and therefore the motor needs to create more thrust to compensate for the drag.

The best way is to reduce the weight in the model.

To get more nose weight we can move the gearbox backward on the wood spindle mount 'HD3'

Also we can move the rudder servo into the nose section.

We can also move the motor mount and cowl forward. This will require a 15mm block of balsa on the front of F1. When covered you won't see the modification.

Check the wheels. Mine are from a WOT4 Foam-e. very light.

Get the weight right and she will float in flight.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy

Posted by Steve Jones 2 on 05/08/2013 19:35:28:

For anyone considering 2 stroke power mine is 4lbs all up with an OS32, running an 11x4apc prop. Balance was achieved with the ex battery under the tank bay and as advised by Andy a SLEC 4oz tank.

Power seems good at just over half throttle with some in hand. Flight times of nearly 10 mins on 3ozof fuel.

Some recent flying have seen 25size powers Panthers struggle to get airborne so the 32 seems a good start...

Hi Steve

Yes the OS32 in your Panther is perfect. She was flying very well at Winterton.

Glad I could help mate.

I did have an ASP 36 in my Panther and that was a bit too much power. My Panther was just over 4Lbs with that engine. The engine is now removed and in the box after many years of use. New piston and liner required.

Regards Andy

Cheers Andy, as you all commented beforehand..... What a fantastic weekend, like the good old days of genuine modellers who all build from scratch, share knowledge willingly and happy to help others.

As i suggested i would like to provisionally offer our club facilities for a Midlands Auto gyro gathering on Sunday 15th September. Flying off the peg and emphasis on fun for all.

We are based just outside Hampton in Arden, Nr Solihull. Confirmation and more details to follow but hope you can all make it

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 06/08/2013 21:56:55

Hi Joseph,

Good luck with the build. My Panther has Kavan 1/4 scale nylon hinges. The plan shows 2 and I added a 3rd which I am sure is not required, just me being over the top. Don't forget the pinning of the hinges after gluing with cocktail sticks. At a recent flyin a panther came down due to the front hinge pulling out - no pinning....

as to the Mast bolts I used some old heli head ones. Not sure on the length but I just made sure enough sticks out the bottom of the fuselage that with a nylock nut on the thread sticks through the nylock

Hopefully you have read all the thread as its packed with great build tips and explanations. .

Steve

embarrassed.......thanks to evreyones input Davidthumbs up, there have been some teriffic ideas and builds to date. I have been lucky enough to see in the flesh others Panthers and the quality of their building. Despite the onslaught of ARTF's it just proves there are still aeromodellers out there and people who are prepared to try something a little different.

The most rewarding thing for myself has been seeing people fly their Panthers and just enjoying the new experience.....that alone is priceless and what our great hobby is all about.

Thanks from me, to Graham Ashby for taking a gamble on publishing the Panther.

Rich

Posted by Robert Tomlin on 16/08/2013 10:48:26:

And.. 100,000 views !!! Just how many times Rich have you been showing this thread to your family?!

Think theres one or two of the suspects here...wink 2

Yep, congrats fella, awesome job with the Panther and for all the help you and the guys have given us Autogyro newbies via the forums, emails and on the field. You're all a credit to the hobby thumbs up

Cheers Gents

img_7666.jpg