Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Hi Andy, you will enjoy building your Panther I'm sure. This thread is VERY long as you will have discovered, but from my experience it's worthwhile wading through it. There are (or at least were) a few minor errors on the plan, but that is no criticism of Richards design. Regarding the top spindle, I did as was suggested and placed a 'Wanted' ad on the BMFA Classifieds and picked up one for £10.

My Panther is still awaiting its' maiden flight which may take place this Sunday, weather permitting dont know

Enjoy the build !!

20200724_141720.jpg

20200711_204524_resized.jpg

Andy,

I have put an add on this forum for gearboxes in the past with fruitful results, Astro or Irvine units are the cream if you can get one. If you have no luck I can machine a spindle up for you but would have to get the materials needed first?

Bob,

Your right in your thinking, the further the blades are from the head pivot the more load is exerted on to the control mechanisms.

An old brushless motor works fine as I have tried it on smaller models, with the Panther I would say you would need one with at least a 5mm shaft if using a standard prop driver. I say that as I once had a 4mm shaft shear in flight, probably down to an poor balanced set of blades embarrassed

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 14/08/2020 22:19:20:

Andy,

I have put an add on this forum for gearboxes in the past with fruitful results, Astro or Irvine units are the cream if you can get one. If you have no luck I can machine a spindle up for you but would have to get the materials needed first?

Bob,

Your right in your thinking, the further the blades are from the head pivot the more load is exerted on to the control mechanisms.

An old brushless motor works fine as I have tried it on smaller models, with the Panther I would say you would need one with at least a 5mm shaft if using a standard prop driver. I say that as I once had a 4mm shaft shear in flight, probably down to an poor balanced set of blades embarrassed

Rich

Richard

Thanks very much for the offer. Need to look first through my old motor box to see what could salvaged to make a head. Think I have an old dc motor with a gearbox, so its just a matter of locating it.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/08/2020 18:56:46:

I was curious whether the height of the blades above the tilt pivot was critical as I was thinking an old pancake can motor from a dead Pheonix glider might be repurposed as a bearing unit with the windings and magnets removed.

I have done the same. As long as the blades clear the tail fin when the rotor is tilted back to the max for spin up it will be OK.

Andy,

I had a similar gearbox fitted to one of my first autogyros, it flew well for a few weeks but always had a wobbly UC. This was caused because of an inbalance in the rotor disc that I was going to get round to fix.

One day the 4mm shaft fractured, as you can guess the fuselage was like a lawn dart and the blades floated to a soft touch down. The model was repaired with an Astro box fitted, the blades were balanced properly and I had many safe flights there after.

Ever since then I have been meticulous in the balancing of all my blades as I'm 99% this was the cause of the failure and any model around this size uses at least a 5-6mm spindle.

I have found the photos I took at the time, the model before it happened, the shaft failure and front end damage.

In a nut shell, if it were me I wouldnt use it on the Panther. Of course I could have had a substandard shaft but I will never know.

dscf0092.jpg

dscf2891.jpg

dscf2892.jpg

dscf2894.jpg

dscf2896.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 17/08/2020 23:08:23

Having read the thread I did suspect that this would be the answer Richard. Will return it to the scrap box as I can see there would be insufficient metal to drill it out to let in a 10mm flanged bearing.

Now thinking a combination of your solid ply base design with a fixed 5mm shaft extracted say from a 450 or 500 helicopter, topped off with a Coolwind Models C30 Razer, 5mm bearing assembly is the way to go.

Whilst contemplating, will dig out my old Atom which I never got flying, but think there will be damage to be repaired first before any attempt at flying can be done. Just got halfway through the Atom thread to see what I did wrong.

One thing I do like from your pictures above is the elastic band preventing the undercarriage legs from deforming too far under crash or heavy landings.

• 3 weeks later...

Fiberglass sheet arrived from the far-east today but a quick measurement shows it to be 1.7mm against the 1.5mm specified. Is this going to matter for the blade plate?

Decent gearbox has also been sourced for the rotor head, so just waiting now for the laser cut parts to arrive from Sarik before I can start building.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start on constructing the mast and head now that the parts have arrived from Sarik. Well impressed with the quality of the cut parts.

Concerned that my 20mm plastic hinges I have available for use on the lateral head tilt don't appear to be very strong so wondered if anybody replaced these with a dolls house style metal hinge.

Well unfortunately could not find a suitable metal hinge Michael, so lashed out on some rather expensive Du-Bro heavy duty hinges. Given these are rather thin, packed out the gap with two shims of 0.4mm epoxy sheet.

Also ran some 0.4mm epoxy sheet on the inside of the mast head bearing plates given the ply as supplied by Sarik was a tadge under size to the mast doublers. So the head now sits in a low friction sleeve rather than ply to ply.

Anyway the mast build has progressed very quickly, but can't complete the fuselage as don't currently have any 3mm sheet for the sides, so that will be another trip to my local hobby store.

Will go armed with my micro scales to also purchase the wood for the blades. Assuming most people split a 4 inch sheet to form 2 blades rather than purchasing 3 sheets of 3inch.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a suitable source of metal for the undercarriage. Any recommendations?

Also is anyone selling an engine cowl and canopy for the Panther.

Fuselage is now 50% complete having got to the point of installing the turtle decking 3mm balsa which is currently sitting wrapped around a wine bottle overnight having been first soaked in ammonia. Sure water would have also worked but ammonia softens the balsa far better.

Carlos,

I have just searched ebay and have found THIS, worth sending them a message to see if they would post to Brazil? Failing that its SARIK as they own the rights to RCM&E plans I believe, I very much doubt they would send digital plans though as its their bread and butter.

You could also put a wanted add on this site, its free to do so.

Rich