Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

As promised last year,I have had an update from John in the US who has modified his Panther by adding a wing. Last week it had its maiden voyage and he was kind enough to send me the video of it.

To those that are interested the set up is as per the original, throws, hang angle, thrust lines etc. The wing is positioned so the CG lies roughly 1/3 of the wing cord.

At the moment it has only had a few flights under its rotors/wings but stability seems to be improved and orientation is far better at distance. As John gets more comfortable with his new flying machine I am sure he will relay back his findings, he is really pleased with it so far.

Video and a number of photos John has sent me.

Rich

img_20180713_194943.jpgimg_20180713_194528.jpg

img_20180713_193659.jpgimg_20180713_192439.jpg

img_20180713_192153.jpgimg_20180713_192406.jpgimg_20180713_192122.jpg

Edited By Richard Harris on 23/07/2018 12:22:33

• 2 months later...

Richard,

To answer your questions.

The cowl is removable, on the mating face of the cowl there are two lugs with holes in to which the fixing screws go through. These are accessed through the cooling hole in the cowl, if you like I can remove mine and take a photo which should explain things clearer? I have also managed to pull a cowl onto a mould using a 3 litre cider bottle to good effect. I do know to one Panther builder who shoe horned an Acro Wot cowl, there has been a couple with radial type cowls too.

As for the metal gear servos, the play should be fine, mine had them from new and the model has now been flying for 5 years, I also have a larger pusher that has seen 10 years service though this has titanium gears. More importantly is their available torque, if they are up to what is specified you will be fine.

Please keep us posted of your progress.

Rich

Point of interest, Sarik are now showing the short kit (plan, laser cut parts + additional wood pack less rotor blade material angry) for £81, a significant reduction from the £129 shown when I ordered mine 3 weeks ago teethangryface 8

I have emailed them about the lack of rotor blade material and untimely price drop, not to mention their packaging.

Trevor,

And all these years I have been making removable cowls, lateral thinking at its finest, never seen that before thumbs up

Bob,

I've never seen the wood parts pack so am unsure what is or what isn't included, that said I wouldn't be happy after shedding that much out. It would be like have a fixed wing kit with no ribs!

Rich

Many thanks for all the help so far.

Going electric with this one using Emax motor BL2828/07 with a 60A ESC. Servos are Tower pro MG996R.

Still struggling to fly these machines properly but with some good success with Rich Harris Burky 2 design.The main issue is the rotors have ~ folded back~ on a turn .Do I need to tighten them more? was around a 15mph wind.

Have to say I am getting pretty good at making rotor blades.Will post some pics when time allows.

Richard,

Never heard of blades folding back in flight, they must be too slack.Tighten them so that there is a slight bit of resistance when moved, if they are too tight then the model and UC will shake.

I prefer the Cruiser in windier weather as its cleaner aerodynamically, you can use all the running gear from Burky (including the blades), food for thought wink 2

Rich

• 1 month later...

Hi David

I have 2 Panthers, the second fitted with an inverted SC52 fs. My engine is mounted to the bulkhead but the bulkhead was moved forward 15mm and the nose shaped to blend. Engine fits in cowl perfect and silencer shaped in side cheek. Cooling is not an issue and keeps the lines

Check out my Album on my profile for build pics and the engine installation - it’s the red model as the orange is the first with a 32 2stroke

Steve

Hi David

I have 2 Panthers, the second fitted with an inverted SC52 fs. My engine is mounted to the bulkhead but the bulkhead was moved forward 15mm and the nose shaped to blend. Engine fits in cowl perfect and silencer shaped in side cheek. Cooling is not an issue and keeps the lines

Check out my Album on my profile for build pics and the engine installation - it’s the red model as the orange is the first with a 32 2stroke

Steve

Thanks Sreve, I've looked through your album - I had seen some of these earlier in this massive thread. I'm surprised you moved the bulkhead forward, I was expecting to have to move it back to keep the prop in roughly the same place but I guess that doesn't matter much. What was the reason for moving it forward rather than just leaving it as per plan?

• 3 weeks later...

just had to post the fact that had a maiden with my Panther Christmas eve. ONE WORD WOW. flew straight off no trim really great.

skinned the blades in lightweight glass cloth which only added about 45gm for the set of three but incredible strong.

Proved a point on landing in the only tree in our flying field (orientation issues) and only bent the prop adaptor otherwise minimal damage.

Starting to build another straight away. Hats off to Rich Harris.

• 1 month later...

Just had to post now getting good flights with Burky and Panther.Panther is far more stable than Burky..

Now realised the importance of head speed on take off and using rudder for the turns correcting the roll with opposite roll (Aileron).There seems far more more tendency to roll right. Left turns can almost be completed using aileron/elevator like fixed wing but must watch out for too much roll .Building the Panther now and intend to get two in the air at the same time (2 pilots) at our flying site.

Any advice on achieving a decent canopy with the pop bottle method as so far not much luck?

out aging this Friday

Regards