Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Got to the point of adding a suitable motor. A search of my motor box only had one likely candidate, but cant identify it. Marking show that the Kv is 1050 with an external diameter of 42mm, 5mm shaft with 12 poles. Does anybody recognize its identity from the picture below so that I can establish if its suitable for the Panther. Likely purchase site would have been fat shark or HK.

dsc01208.jpg

Edited By Andy Joyce on 21/10/2020 17:36:05

• 2 months later...
Posted by Andy Joyce on 18/01/2021 13:39:55:

In the process of making the blades. Note the plan shows a 1mm blunt edge to the LE although early pictures on the tread show a sharp LE. So which is better, blunt or sharp?

Sharp works best in my experience. Better spin up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really tempted to get me one of these.
The design is awsome, well done!

There is even some parts for 3D printing on Thingiverse.

But I'm wondering about the short kit available from Sarik Hobbies.
Looking at the "Plan, Laser Cut & Additional Wood Pack" product. Anyone know if it includes GF parts and landing gear? My guess is that it doesn't, since its not mentioned
Any good source for those things?

I am assuming this is for The Panther..The Sarik plan pack does not include Fibre glass parts or undercarriage..The quality of the supplied stuff is great,so good I bought 2 of them.The first one completed flies briliant . F/Glass parts or sheet to cut them yourself available from Coolwind models (very helpful) but the u/c you will have to bend and solder yourself.

Really depends on your confidence at building.I dont think the sarik plan pack includes the materials for the rotors but I will look in the unopened one in my workshop

Posted by Joakim Karlsson 1 on 29/01/2021 15:47:32:
Posted by Richard Franks on 29/01/2021 15:13:39:

Really depends on your confidence at building.I dont think the sarik plan pack includes the materials for the rotors but I will look in the unopened one in my workshop

Thank you!

If you are a 3D printer there are several different STL files for a complete blade set that do very well for the Panther. If not then the thought of making blades from scratch seems more daunting that reality. It’s not that difficult if you select the wood and have either a belt sander or David plane and sanding blocks. Have a go! What’s the worst that can happen?

Posted by Big T on 29/01/2021 17:10:50:

If you are a 3D printer there are several different STL files for a complete blade set that do very well for the Panther. If not then the thought of making blades from scratch seems more daunting that reality. It’s not that difficult if you select the wood and have either a belt sander or David plane and sanding blocks. Have a go! What’s the worst that can happen?

You are quite spot on. The fabrication of the blades has been something that has made me turn around when looking at autogyros earlier.
But like you said, whats the worst that can happen?
Also, it will be faster to sand blades out of wood than it will be to print them. But might give both a try.

Whats scaring me a bit now is making the GF triangle head plate. I guess the holes have to be quite spot on not to cause balance issues.
I know those plates are available from Coolwind. But I really want to be able to make my own in case of a crash.
And I don't think a 3D printed one will hold up as well as GF, or perhaps it will if you make it three times thicker?

Two other things.
There are three discs available at Thingiverse called H1, H2 and H3. What are those?

And is the article available in PDF format somewhere?

Joakim,

As Tim suggests the wooden blades are straight forward to construct though the 3D printed versions seem to fly just as well.

Here is a video taken at our one and only get together last year, there is a Panther taking off at around 2.43 which has printed blades designed by Ian Smith. These are made in segments attached onto a carbon spar, the MK1 versions taped together but I believe the latest interlock together. If a blade gets damaged the segments can be replaced quickly and easily, its all very clever.

The tri plate is easy enough to make yourself, I print out the triangle onto paper and spray glue it onto the GF sheet, then cut out using tin snips before filing and sanding to shape.
Aluminium for the UC can be bought from DB Sport and scale.
Rich