Hitec Aurora 9

Piper Cub

It's also worth a mention that in some cases reported lock-outs of 2.4Ghz equipment of today are yesterdays 35Mhz "interference".

They exist but other factors, including installation and pilot error account for a lot and as credible as RC Groups, other forums and fellow fliers may be I do not accept reports of lock-ups and brown-outs without strong supporting evidence; "the aeroplane just rolled over and crashed and it wasn't pilot error" is not enough!

Good luck with the A9 Ian S - I hope that you get the problems you are having sorted out because without them there is no doubt that the A9 is a good Tx.

EDIT:

Cross posted with Ian S's latest - pleased you got a result Ian.

Edited By Ian Jones on 04/09/2012 11:47:44

• 2 years later...

Hi there, interesting comments. As hitec are about to release a new version I decided to try the reduced price current 9 that you seem all about on this section.

Not flown yet, simply allowing the Rx + servos to cycle & ensure everything looks ok.

However, what I have not seen here or on any other forum; my Tx does not always load the screen. On infrequent occasions the screen is blank when switched on, light stays amber. Anyone else had this?

As mentioned herein, Perkins are pretty poor at after sales, so it's difficult to get any feedback from them! Shame Hitec are with them really as the set does rate better after sales 'effort'.

TW

Terry,

Yes, once in a while mine does not start up properly, I just turn it back off and on again and it always boots up OK the second time. Never seen any lost model settings or anything else like that. The other member at our club who uses an A9 has also had this happen.

Peter.

hello terry-same here-I've been using an A9 for 2 years no problem...does what you mention now and again-apparently its normal occurrence .....you'll get 5 hours with your nimh batt and if you change to a lipo 11 hours ...good set...the TX and RX are easy to update also with the little gizmo that Hitec sell....all user friendly...forgot to mention also that one of our club members has been carrying out longevity tests on Futaba TX batts....its on one of the other threads-the outcome etc      kulou   ..... say no more.....I hear you all say....?

ken Anderson...ne...1 A9 dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 24/01/2015 09:39:36

I have had the A9 for three years now, absolutely love it. Battery is the standard Nimh and lasts for ages, a full weekends flying and it's still at least 60%. The no boot up thing happens occasionally but switch off start again sorted. Never had a glitch and love the touch screen programming. It's fantastic value for money at the moment and I have recommended it to friends and they are happy too. Never ever had to rebind a receiver which is more than I can say for some other radio's used in our club. I use the optima and minima receivers. And you don't have to be too fussy about receiver aerial position. I sound like a salesman, but I just think its a great underrated system.

Thank you all for providing me with a little more confidence! I'm not accustomed to R/C that fails to function perfectly.

The 9 is great value, but more importantly for me, it replicates the looks & feel of my, very old PCM10.....yes, from 1990! Quite obviously it was modelled very close to the JR Tx; & why not.

5 hours is quite enough flying time for me these days!

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading about problems with the Aurora 9. I have had one which has worked perfectly for the last three years, but in November last year I had problems with 4 aircraft crashing. The symptoms were the aircraft just rolled to the left in level flight and then nose dived to the ground. This happened on two flying sites and with 4 different receivers. In each case the batteries and rx were working perfectly.

I have spoken to JP about the problem. They say they have no way of checking for intermittent faults, and suggest changing the Spectra module.

Anyone else had the problem or can anyone suggest a reason ?

Hi There I had a similar problem develop on a Futaba FF6 ( Appreciated it was 35 Meg ) losing four planes as described I put it down to dirt or wear on the potentiometer's on the sticks and had to bight the bullet on by a new Transmitter. I had gone through new batteries. ariel, crystals etc. it looks like a transmitter problem more than module as you have the same fault. Any chance the cable to the aerial is damaged from the module to the short stub as it has to be turned up for flight ?

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 16/02/2015 09:40:37

Victor, if the failsafe had been set then loss of radio signal would cause the plane to go into failsafe, if that's set as a roll to the left then it's probably a failsafe (did the engine/motor cut at the same time?). If not it would point to some form of fault within the Transmitter, intermittent aileron potentiometer possibly.

Thanks RC and Frank. Checked the failsafes and they are set to throttle idle and everything else to mid point, so it wasn't a loss of signal.

The aerial wire looks ok and undamaged.

So it looks like something within the Tx. Do I risk just replacing the Spectra unit or replace the whole Tx ?? Still thinking !!!

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/01/2015 10:38:09:

Time will tell............... it may well have been reliable thus far Martin, but let's see what happens eh?

And I wasn't actually dismissing it on those grounds Martin. I'm not a fan of transmitters adorned with lots of false chrome and garish styling........... (Mpx Profi Mc 4k owner)

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/01/2015 10:45:34

I would have thought multiplex is a lot more likely to go out of business than Frsky (think Graupner, Robbe etc). In fact of course multiplex is already owned by the guy that owns Hitec.

If you like the p4000 you should like the frsky taranis as OpenTX is the software is similar to the p4000 and you can jump from one to the other quite easily. I agree the set itself is not that great ergonomically, but Frsky has another TX in the pipeline. However the taranis doesn't have any chrome on it, fake or otherwise. The TX is grey plastic on the front and black plastic on the back.

If you do a quick google image search you will see that the taranis case is essentially the same as the JR 9x2, but without chrome and without a scroll wheel etc.

Victors, If you suspect the sticks try selecting the monitor function from the system menu and watching what happens on screen when you move the stick. If the appropriate channel seems jumpy or doesn't behave and its due to the stick it will show.

Did the models roll gently or aggressively? If its a stick problem I'd have thought it would have been a sudden roll, not gentle.

Was anything else common to all 4 aircraft?

Ian

Edited By TheFlyingCrust on 17/02/2015 10:52:12

Flying Crust - The models on all occasions rolled aggressively all to the left. Nothing else was common each plane having its own Rx which were either 6 or 7 channel Optimas. I will check the stick movement using the system menu but at the moment have no confidence in the transmitter at all.

Thanks for the comments

Posted by Victors on 17/02/2015 18:27:57:

Flying Crust - The models on all occasions rolled aggressively all to the left. Nothing else was common each plane having its own Rx which were either 6 or 7 channel Optimas. I will check the stick movement using the system menu but at the moment have no confidence in the transmitter at all.

Thanks for the comments

Sounds like either a loose connection on the wire the aileron stick potentiometer to the PCB or a dodgy potentiometer. I'd take the back off and give the connectors a wobble while its on and see if its possible to replicate.

Si.

hello victor-sounds like the pot I would say-I'm no expert-but this idea might seem silly(prob is)can you plug your TX into a simulator and see if it does the same on there with the make believe models .... if it does there you go-its the TX ......only one i know of was a friend with a heli and he was having problems with the A9 on the throttle pot...he replaced it himself-cost circa £14.00...lot less than a model etc.....

ken Anderson...ne...1 ........A9 dept.