What mode do you fly?

Advert

i fly the way i was taught, Mode 1, but an occurence a few years ago made me learn Mode 2, i had a tranny thrust into my hands without so much as a help me shout, i wrecked it better than he could ever have done, i got cursed, he nearly got the tranny shoved where the sun dont shine, so now, i fly both, and i taught my son to fly both, but i am a tad out of practise with Mode 2, so, the poll gets a tick in Mode 1

as for the which is best thing,     there isnt a best one,   its what you are comfy with, and how you where taught,    

Edited By Alan 4 on 19/07/2011 19:55:57

Posted by David E on 19/07/2011 17:59:22:
When I log on from a different computer, it shows me the option to vote in the poll again not the results... shouldn't it be linked to account not to a cookie specific to the computer (and which can be deleted very easily)

Yeap, same for me. It seems to remember who I am but invites me to vote again. I think it happens if you change IP - I use my laptop in work and at home - obviously different IP addresses.

Can anyone tell me the result so far - cos all I can see is the voting screen and being a good boy I don't want to vote twice!

BEB

Hey guys,
I'm not a mode 4 flyer but i do fly modes 1, 2, and 3. Learnt to fly mode 1, as i believe all 2 channel sets are mode 1 (Futaba T2EX). Then went to power and continued to fly mode 1 until i got muddled up during a loop which fortunately didn't hit the deck but got close. Then changed to mode 2 as i fly some full size gliders and figured it to be similar. I've got a bunch of 1970 -1990 RCM&E mags and read through them and found an article on the mind and which mode should theoretically work best- apparently mode 3. So i tried it and with a fair bit of practice i got the hang of it. However, as i sometimes teach people to fly i have reverted back to mode 2 for teaching, mode 3 for a tow plane, and mode 1 for gliders. I have put mode 2 as my chosen mode as i use it the most.

I fly Mode 2 because when I bought my first transmitter they sent me a Mode 2 one without asking. On the balance of probabilities they did the right thing

In actual fact being left handed I might be better going for a different mode. My most precise digits are controlling rudder and throttle!

I fly mode 2 because the pros at my club do, but then again alot of the other club members fly mode 1 and they are good.

I was taught by my dad who was flying many years before I started. Not saying the whole southeast was mode 1 but most were in the clubs I belonged too. Even now there's a large %age in the club that are mode 1.

Personally I can fly both but am much more comfortable on 1. Having different modes is very frustrating though as it means you don't get to play withe everyone else's toys!!

Is it possible to put multiple votes on since i fly 3 different modes? (see previous post page 2) I put mode 2 initially as i use it the most but then the poll isn't really accurate. I seem to be the only mode 3 flyer but it isn't in the poll as i haven't been able to put all 3 types in.

As I said above we did a survey on this the old fashioned way back in Feb 2010 - so about 18 months ago. The results then were:

Mode 1: 24.3%
Mode 2: 73.8%
Mode 3: 0.5%
Mode 4: 1.4%

Which is in excellent agreement with what we are getting now! That survey also examined the question is there a North/South divide on this and does it make any difference if you are self taught. For full details see the thread here

Keep on voting folks because we could do with a larger sample really.

BEB

• 5 weeks later...
Fly both mode 1 and 2 but the poll doesn't allow for this. Primary control always on the right - but elevator right for thermalling and alternatively left for aerobatics.

Got a FF9 set up with elevator right and a FF8 on the left. Can never remember which is Mode 1 or 2, I just do it...

Chas