Latitude Longitude

Tim Mackey

Being a bit of a thicko on these things, can someone tell me how to "convert" the various formats of sat co-ordinates etc. I have the decimal figures of a location but my silly car wants degrees /minutes/ and seconds.

An example is as follows
CAR data is
LAT: N52 47' 57" and LONG: W4 45' 32"
This apparently equates to
LAT: 52.802169 and LONG: -4.7576385

In another example google maps shows my destination as
LAT: 52.797187 and LONG: -4.5377616
Now I know the +/- symbols refer to NSEW conversions, but what are my sat nav inputs for the above?

Confused of Lat 53.287567 Lon -3.7333134

Advert

53.287567 degrees multiplied by 60 would give the lat in minutes & that multiplied by 60 would give it in seconds. However if you remove the integer each time before multiplying you will get the answer in deg, min, sec

Lat 53.287567 = 53 deg + (.287567 x 60)'
= 53 deg 17' +(.25402 x 60)"
= 53 deg 17' 15"

Lon 3.7333134 = 3 deg + (.7333134 x 60)'
= 3 deg 43' +(.998804 x 60)"
= 3 deg 44' (rounded up)

Thanks for that, PatMc. I am in awe of someone to whom a mathematical concept is always as clear as daylight!

Seems you have a brain something like mine, Timbo - I scraped a Maths 'O' Level 42 years ago (blimey, that many years? ) and it has never come naturally, either before or since..........

Unfortunately, my brain is more attuned to writing, so I have the handicap of being able to spot a grammatical error or spelling mistake from about 200 yards.........

My grandson has just become only the second pupil ever to get 100% for his Maths Sats at his primary school and he has been signed up on some gifted pupils scheme.

I don't know where he got that from - it wasn't from me and sure as heck it wasn't from his grandmother!

Pete