Prop selection

geofb

Advert

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in response to this one. I've just spotted the reference you mention in the February issue. This is the first time I've seen that particular caption, and I have to put my hands up and say that I haven't put that particular feature on the site yet. Needless to say, I'll make sure it goes up as soon as I get the opportunity - most likely tomorrow. I'll post again in here once it's up.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Tom,I,ve just read Andy Elisons article on prop selection, a really good and explicit explanation of what does what and why, but the tabels mentioned in the article seem to be missing.It would be great if you could include these.
Keep up the good work the sight is looking good, and if this is just the beginning then you're on a winner.

can anyone help with my prop selection? for my .25 magnum xl.my local model shop sold me a 9/6 prop! is it over propped for my vampire (not pusher)if so which one would be best without over reving?..would a 3 bladed prop be any use and can i get a spinner for it ?

• 1 month later...
Sounds reasonable as a starting point. 9x6 is the size used on Irvine 25s in Club 2000 pylon racing which gives good revs once they unload in the air and should probably suit a Vampire, I'd have thought.

1/12 scale combat models running 25s usually use 9x5 props (being limited by the rules to a pitch + diameter formula of 14 e.g. a 10x4 or 8x6 would also be legal) and the 25s start really performing on this size whilst scraping under 82dB.

As for being over propped on a 9x6, my RCM&E plan BAe Hawk flies extremely well on an SC25 using a 10x6 (Master Airscrew) prop, which gets it under 82dB comfortably. I suspect your Vampire may be a similarly constructed model from the same designer?

Yes, you could go smaller and get even better performance, but I'd expect you'd have problems making 82dB and unless you're really out in the sticks this should be a major factor in your choice!

• 2 months later...
just about to put together a YT 2metre Adrenaline

will be fitting either ASP-180, Saito-180 or (if i can afford it) a YS-Dz140 or 160

any suggested prop sizes?

the reviews Vs manufacturers recomm's seem wildly different here, PLUS i've never used a four stroker before....

2 blade, 3 blade, anything from a 15x8 to a 18x10 on the ASP + SAITO and even up to a 16x12 to 17x13 on the YS????

can anybody help?

cheers

chrissy d

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, I remember, about a million years ago, we flew control line oliver tiger powered racers...We used wooden props, but the interesting thing was thst we reworked them. lightening and thinning the blades, then polishing them. I can still hear the sound. Is there any mileage in this reworking, for say a funfly?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Propellor selection?  This question always puzzles me.  Most  engine manufacturers have been around now for some time and I would have thought that they more than anyone would know the correct starting point for any propellor for any type of model.  Yes I know you can then fine tune the size according to the model, weight etc. later, but go by the manufacturers recomendation and you won't be far out.

Stuart,

While the manufacturers recommendations are a decent starting point, in my experience they are optimised for performance and don't take our usual 82dB limit into account.  The characteristics of a model will influence selection significantly - a particular engine could be used for anything from a pre-WW1 pioneer to a superfast delta and would use wildly different props for each model.