Taxes and charges when buying fro the US

Phil 9

I want to buy a new Futaba 8FG super. Tower Hobbies from time to time offer discout vouchers via email. One such voucher means I can get a 8GF combo for £260 delivered. But taxes and charges will be added to that. Is there any way of knowing that the T&T will be so I can work out the true price.

Other discounted items are on offer from Honk Kong but this is for the Heli vertion tx. As a fixed wing pilot will buying the Heli vertion cause me problems?

Advert

Inwoods dont seem to have the 8FG but they do have a jr 8xg

just seen the 8fg but the rx is another £95  on top the TH offer includes the rx that is why it atracted me but with the taxes and aggro of buying outside uk it not as good a deal if firt seems

Edited By Phil B on 26/08/2011 08:37:55

Posted by Ultymate on 26/08/2011 08:43:05:
Depends what you've got in the line of receivers I would think.
I only have one DSM2 rx with my DX6i so can start from scratch really.

I think the Futaba rep for reliability is what I will go for

In your first post you mentioned a heli version of the tx if I understood correctly. I'm pretty sure that the 8FG can do both helis and fixed wing - and if you want to send it back it won't be cheap and I can't see them refunding import charges.

I need some help here (I may just be being thick)

at inwwoods futaba 8fg super tx only £249

\futaba 8fg super set £399 but what is included in the set?

tx, rx charger anything else? (what am I missing) if you buy the items separate it does not add up to £399.

I think the limits are something like the package having a 'Declared' value of $50 US / £35 for VAT threshold. I will have a little look as I had a package from China stopped and it had VAT added by customs.
Basically, what is the item worth and have that put on the outside of the package as it's declared value, (what ever that might be).

• 1 month later...
hope this might be useful as I work in international shipping.
On Imports it is usual to pay vat and duty if goods are from outside the eec.
We know the vat rate, that is a given - and duty is dependant on goods, country of origin and value. It is all governed by a rather complicated customs tarriff of goods. As a general rule of thumb though duty is usually circa 6 percent of the goods value and this can include the shipping costs too. yes its quite a minefield and a lot depends on the customs interpretation of the goods at the point of import into the UK.
Generally speaking as a guideline, take the goods value and add 20 percent for vat. Then take the value again and add 6 percent ( you may or may not get away with the shipping costs as an added value ). add the duty and vat figure to the purchase and shipping cost and that is your gross purchase price.
as a formula:

( value of goods plus 20 percent vat ) + ( value of goods plus 6 percent duty minus value of goods  = total.

Not by any means supposed to be definitive but gives you an rough idea.
Hope this helps

trev

Edited By trev on 29/10/2011 02:19:21