2012 Vintage Mass Build Chat Thread

By my calculations the Mini Tyro will cost about 12.50 pounds in balsa at Balsa Cabin prices ( I am surprised it is so much ! ) while a couple of years ago I costed up the standard size Astro Hog balsa at 71 pounds ( if I remember correctly )plus the cost of plan when the Hog kit was 99 pounds.

For this event I think many more people would build the cheaper model.

Advert

Here is a repost - hopefully with the links correctly done this time..

Although not shortlisted I have uploaded the plans for the Elf Bipe and the Kwik Fli 3 up to my web site. They are both full size pdf docs - put them on a memory stick and take them to a copy/print house to get a full size print.

The Elf Bipe plan:

and two sheets for the Kwik Fli 3:

Sorry for the muck up BEB and thanks for the instruction link Tim

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 25/10/2011 22:39:10

Posted by kc on 25/10/2011 18:39:55:
By my calculations the Mini Tyro will cost about 12.50 pounds in balsa at Balsa Cabin prices ( I am surprised it is so much ! ) while a couple of years ago I costed up the standard size Astro Hog balsa at 71 pounds ( if I remember correctly )plus the cost of plan when the Hog kit was 99 pounds.

For this event I think many more people would build the cheaper model.

Hi kc

Good point, but I see this as a 6 month project - it works out at about £25.00 per month for all materials which isn't *that* expensive. I know people who spend more than double that in one night in a pub!

Ultimately, it's horses for courses. I suspect the mini Tyro will win simply because the plan is available, but I don't really want to build a mini trainer.

Martyn

I have been working through my archive of plans - several hundred - to see what else I could find that may be interesting.

One that caught my eye - and looks about the same age as a Kwik Fli was the Thunderbird. Definitely the newer end of vintage but looks like it would make a good club aerobat with a modern .40ish sized engine or possibly electric.

I don't know anything else about it and a google has been singularly unsuccessful so I don't even know who designed it or when. Any historians out there?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 25/10/2011 22:48:11

Edited By Martyn K on 25/10/2011 22:49:29

Posted by Big Bandit on 20/10/2011 08:24:17:
Posted by Steve W-O on 20/10/2011 05:25:04:
It would have been useful if the list of planes on the voting thread had links to the planes.

I only voted for one, the only one I know what it looks like.

I think most people here could have looked for a plane that was in Aeromodeller magazine in the month and year of their birth for a suitable plane, would have had a bit more meaning that just an old plane

It was Steve, BEB did it in the 4th post in this thread .

Cheers,

Chris.

Just had a look at that post, two of the planes' links go to the same place.

It would seem to be over unless there are any more votes! More people voted the XXXX first choice but the xxxxx seems to have more points! ( I have done the maths but I am not saying! but the result is like the last General Election! )

Edited By kc on 28/10/2011 12:20:27

A committee designing a horse will always end up with a camel...........but a camel is very useful!

It ssems now we have until Sunday to whip up more support.  Only 16 have voted as far as I can see

Edited By kc on 28/10/2011 12:34:50

When I looked on Friday there was a vote from Steve W.O. for an Astro hog. When I did a recount to check my figures I noticed the vote was removed although the posting was still there but noted as edited that day by Steve ( 10 days after posting, not usually possible to edit oneself. )

I expect it is all above board but justice has to be seen to be done!

Posted by kc on 30/10/2011 13:20:37:
Actually you cannot vote for the Elf! it's not on the shortlist!

OK, when I said I didn't know what they looked like, I was told to look at the 4th post in this thread, so I did, I didn't go back to the beginning of the voting thread and look again.

Corrected 

Edited By Steve W-O on 30/10/2011 13:28:58

Posted by kc on 30/10/2011 13:09:23:
When I looked on Friday there was a vote from Steve W.O. for an Astro hog. When I did a recount to check my figures I noticed the vote was removed although the posting was still there but noted as edited that day by Steve ( 10 days after posting, not usually possible to edit oneself. )

I expect it is all above board but justice has to be seen to be done!

Well I must confess I haven't been following any of it, as I'm not involved - its BEBs baby really.
I do know that last time I "looked" I got totally confused as to which thread was supposed to be used for voting - there seems to be about half a dozen threads on the subject
Lets see if your complaint can be explained by BEB

I was referring to ' Final Vote for Common Model' thread.
It appears that Steve W-O removed his first vote 10 days after voting ( how ?) and has now voted again and amended almost immediately after I pointed out the Elf was not on the list.
So its all OK but no explanation yet as to how one can edit 10 days after posting!

Edited By kc on 30/10/2011 18:36:55

Well it certainly beats me! I certainly did not alter anyone's vote - and you're right kc it would usually be impossible for Steve to do so once another post has been made after his. So I'm at a loss. Unless Steve can inform us?

I haven't "done the sums" yet, I plan to do so at about 11:45pm tonight. Remember that lthough a model may have more first places this is not a "first past the post" system, its the model with the most points that will win. This is intended to reflect general support for the model - i.e. it may have got fewer first places but it must have got an awful lot of second places to be ahead on the points.

Finally, please remember three things:

1. We are not deciding matters of national importance here - its just a bit of fun.

2. If two models come out "neck and neck" there is absolutely nothing to stop one group building one model and another group building the second. We can change the framework however we like to ensure maximum fun for everyone!

3. If the model finally selected is really not to your taste then there is always two further options; the free choice stream where you can select your own model and in the very final analysis no one is making anyone do anything they don't want to do!

BEB

This is some information on the various different versions of the models being considered

The original Super 60 by Ernie Webster was also done in smaller sizes by David Boddington.

The Mini Super was a 45 inch version and became a Keil Kraft kit and changed to trike u/c. Later it was published as the original taildragger version in Aviation Modeller Int November 1996

The Micro Super was a 25 inch version in RCME April 87 ( looks remarkably like a Mini Tyro but smaller )

The Bi Mini was a 30 inch biplane version in Radio Modeller October 1987

all these were free plans in those magazines and there is still a copy of each of these magazines advertised for sale today! ( send me a PM if you want to know where )

Anyone building an Astro Hog would do well to see the Sig manual which is online at their website and note that there are variation in the Sig kit such as reduced dihedral, strip ailerons and trike u/c. Kit seems a bargain at 109 US dollars from the Sig website in USA. ( the plan alone from MyHobbyStores is 16.50 pounds and I calculated over 70 pounds cost for balsa a year or two ago )
The Astro Hog by Fred Dunne was also reduced in size by David Boddington as Astro Hog 40 in Radio Modeller January 1985. I cannot see a copy of this issue for sale.

An even smaller 1/3 size version called Astro O’ink was done by Robin Woodhead as a free plan in Aviation Modeller Int November 1996 ( same issue as Mini Super)

I have all these mags and the free plans so I will look up any further info if anyone asks.

Edited By kc on 31/10/2011 11:33:13

Edited By kc on 31/10/2011 11:41:39