2012 Vintage Mass Build Chat Thread

Posted by kc on 01/11/2011 11:48:47:
I suppose I should have said the Mass Build CHAT thread. Asking questions such as
" should I make the Mini Super elevator from plywood as shown on the AMI plan? "

Obviously it is better if the photos from one person are on an individual thread. They will be in sequence. Also the file will be smaller ( not like some threads which are huge due to everyones photos )
In which case there surely woul;t be any particular problem with asking questions, or chatting about any particular variant of the Mass Build models (i.e. the Super 60, it;s variants and all the other free choice models) in one unified Mass Build thread.

Otherwise you create a situation where you would have a different "chat" thread for every single variant and for every single free choice model. That would be stark raving bonkers.

There is a danger in sucking every ounce of fun out of the project, before it even gets off the ground, by being too prescriptive about what goes where. Not to mention making work for the moderators in shifting posts that someone thinks are in the wrong place.

Advert

Posted by leccyflyer on 01/11/2011 12:31:24:
Posted by kc on 01/11/2011 11:48:47:
I suppose I should have said the Mass Build CHAT thread. Asking questions such as
" should I make the Mini Super elevator from plywood as shown on the AMI plan? "

Obviously it is better if the photos from one person are on an individual thread. They will be in sequence. Also the file will be smaller ( not like some threads which are huge due to everyones photos )
In which case there surely woul;t be any particular problem with asking questions, or chatting about any particular variant of the Mass Build models (i.e. the Super 60, it;s variants and all the other free choice models) in one unified Mass Build thread.

Otherwise you create a situation where you would have a different "chat" thread for every single variant and for every single free choice model. That would be stark raving bonkers.

There is a danger in sucking every ounce of fun out of the project, before it even gets off the ground, by being too prescriptive about what goes where. Not to mention making work for the moderators in shifting posts that someone thinks are in the wrong place.

I have to agree, so far this year, it seems a lot more "fun" has been included, and the result will be a great collection of vintage planes.

For new builders, it doesn't matter as much how they build, as unlike last year, there won't be two dozren other same planes to campare quality with.

I think a collection of vintage planes (vintage the theme this year, but the same will go if there is a general theme next time) will have far more appeal and interest than the same number all the same. The fact that there will be several of the same, and variations of that same, adds to the interest even more.

Much better concept this year.

I don't nthink we need to wait for any guidance to start building, I am starting my preparations tonight, and will proceed from there.

It will be interesting to see how many actually really do build something in the spirit of the original mass build.

Perhaps another Poll is required? Three options come to mind:

1. Common Model (Super 60 and Variants)
2. Own choice Model and it really is in the spirit of Vintage
3. I originally said yes but I really meant no.

You can only answer option 1 or 2 when you have cut your first piece of wood.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/11/2011 14:46:54

For now, Create a build thread within the 2012 Vintage Mass Build. Entitle it " model name"Build Blog and your name.

Then fire away with your blog!!

Simples

If its possible, we may look at gathering the common models into a seperate folder within the Vintage Mass Build area and all the "free Choice" models into another folder to make them easier to find.

I'm sure BEB will be along later to confirm this!

Dave

Posted by Martyn K on 01/11/2011 14:44:45:
It will be interesting to see how many actually really do build something in the spirit of the original mass build.

Perhaps another Poll is required? Three options come to mind:

1. Common Model (Super 60 and Variants)
2. Own choice Model and it really is in the spirit of Vintage
3. I originally said yes but I really meant no.

You can only answer option 1 or 2 when you have cut your first piece of wood.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/11/2011 14:46:54

That is what the "what are you building" thread will tell you, there aren't so many you need the system to add up the numbers

Posted by David Gilder on 01/11/2011 14:49:46:
For now, Create a build thread within the 2012 Vintage Mass Build. Entitle it " model name"Build Blog and your name.

Then fire away with your blog!!

Simples

If its possible, we may look at gathering the common models into a seperate folder within the Vintage Mass Build area and all the "free Choice" models into another folder to make them easier to find.

I'm sure BEB will be along later to confirm this!

Dave

I think that is what most people were going to do anyway, just like last year, it worked well enough.

Posted by Steve W-O on 01/11/2011 15:56:30:
<snip>

That is what the "what are you building" thread will tell you, there aren't so many you need the system to add up the numbers

True - but that assumes that everyone will actually create a blog. I am just a little intrigued to know how many have 'dropped' out along the way..

Martyn

I've still got to order the super 60, but it will be this week and it will be the 3 channel version. The strip ailerons on the 4 channel just do not look right, and it'll be a tail dragger as the original. The biggest problem's going to be the power source. I've got an original OS25, but I'm told it's 1972 vintage at the earliest which is too new to fit with the spirit of the thing, and diesels aren't that good at throttling, four stokes are too new so I'm open to suggestions.

I'll do an individual build blog as I feel this is the most appropriate.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 01/11/2011 20:05:07

Posted by Chris Bott on 31/10/2011 23:00:21:

The little Matador was doing rather well on a thread that should only have contained votes, until someone issued her a real insult, after that it didn't receive one further vote. How easily swayed everyone is!

Chris, I'm doing the free flight version with brushless, small lipo, ESC and flight profiler, so it ticks all the boxes for me. Should also be useful for the chuck and duck at next years NATS .

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 01/11/2011 20:30:06:

Chris, I'm doing the free flight version with brushless, small lipo, ESC and flight profiler, so it ticks all the boxes for me. Should also be useful for the chuck and duck at next years NATS .

Chris.

Great, we have a break away common build group of two . I think my Matador will be as close as I can remember to my first ever r/c model. Including being single channel controlled. I do fancy diesel power just for the sound and smell, but I bet I end up going electric.

Not sure when I'll be able to start though, with working away more than I like..

Sorry guys been out doing the "day job" until recently.

Yeap, DG is spot on, and Steve is right too, last year's system worked well so why fix something that ain't broke! So I suggest the following:

1. We keep this chat thread going as the place were we all chat general stuff about the mass build together. I will probably change the title to remove the reference to voting! So, this is the "chat" thread then!

2. Everyone is encouraged to run their own individual build blog - within "The 2012 Vintage Mass Build" topic area. Doesn't matter if someone is building the same model as you - you'll approach will be different and we'd like to see them all! So, don't be shy the build blogs are a big part of the fun. Obviously feel free to ask questions in your build blog if you want advice and also to comment on each other's progress - positively of course!

Martyn, sadly I think you are right - a few will drop out. But more will do it - and never tell us. For example I think that last year Webby said that he had sold something like 55 Webbits - but if you count up the build blogs there were only 30 odd. So where did all the others go? This is what I mean about not being shy - if you're building with us then tell us - believe me you'll get more fun out of it that way.

I agree with Steve - this year does look very promising - all these different Vintage models are going to look so cool!

"Ben Buckle" emailed me today to say that they have dispatched my Elf! So I've just got to get the Magnatilla off the building board (only got a tailwheel to install, the bottom of the fuselage to cover, fit a pilot and she's done) and I'll be "at me Elf, happy as a pig in muck"!

BEB

Posted by Chris Bott on 01/11/2011 20:54:11:
I do fancy diesel power just for the sound and smell, but I bet I end up going electric.

And I thought it was just me - I confess, I had a good look at the PAW website last night working out what the Elf would need in terms of a Deisel - and reading the Diesel Operating instructions
I'm very tempted - but I'll probably chicken out and stick a 52FS in there

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/11/2011 20:57:29:

Martyn, sadly I think you are right - a few will drop out. But more will do it - and never tell us. For example I think that last year Webby said that he had sold something like 55 Webbits - but if you count up the build blogs there were only 30 odd. So where did all the others go? This is what I mean about not being shy - if you're building with us then tell us - believe me you'll get more fun out of it that way.

BEB

Hi BEB

I have to confess, I signed up for the Webbit build, bought the semi kit and never really got it started. Family and health problems delayed the start by so much that it was over before I could really get going on it.. Hopefully I wont have the same problem this time.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 01/11/2011 21:51:02:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/11/2011 20:57:29:

BEB

Hi BEB

I have to confess, I signed up for the Webbit build, bought the semi kit and never really got it started. Family and health problems delayed the start by so much that it was over before I could really get going on it.. Hopefully I wont have the same problem this time.

Martyn

That's OK, we can't always stick to intentions, life is busy and full of trials, building a model can hardly be called a priority in the general picture.

Hope you are able to join in this year.

Anyway, I didn't sign up, I built one and posted the build (so I am not one of BEBs mysteries)

model engine auction at Gildings near leicester will have a few diesels for sale on saturday

look at their sale results last year for an idea of actual prices realised

just wish it were nearer me down here in the south

Edited By John Laird on 02/11/2011 10:44:47

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/11/2011 12:15:17

I'm in, just can't decide.

Astro Hog, Elf biplane or Super 60. All very good but I cant do all 3.

I'll keep you posted.

Andy

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/11/2011 12:16:20

Has anbody informed Ben Buckle ( I mean Colin of course ) that the Super 60 has been selected and there could be a few extra orders for Super 60 and Mini Super plans or kits?

.......perhaps BEB ( Biggles Elf Builder ) should......

Edited By kc on 02/11/2011 10:55:27

Hi Guys,

I am getting a bit bewildered by these various Threads. I have a confession. Having my BB kit for the 60 and my Replikit for Popsie, while I waited for glue to dry on my Webbit 52, I used the time to cut out parts for the Windy. Anyway, yesterday I laid out all three, but started Windy as it was in my mind frame, I have a half built wing as a result. That is, a half built one side as they plug onto tongues protruding from the fuselage. But it is exciting. My first modification is to have "webbed" between the spars to make it full "D" box, as it will be carrying radio. There will, inevitably, be other mods. I will post photos etc., when I have worked out where they should be posted. However, I return to Webbit this morning, I need to install the motor.

Alan.

Posted by kc on 02/11/2011 10:54:31:
Has anbody informed Ben Buckle ( I mean Colin of course ) that the Super 60 has been selected and there could be a few extra orders for Super 60 and Mini Super plans or kits?

.......perhaps BEB ( Biggles Elf Builder ) should......

Edited By kc on 02/11/2011 10:55:27

Yeap, I have indeed emailed Colin on Monday and tipped him the wink that few more than normal orders for Super60's (and others) may well be in the offing. I've also given him a link to here so that if he wants to see whats happening he can join in.

BEB