Super 60 build, Big Bandit

Big Bandit

Hi David,

Thanks for that, I can't find any reference to weights on the plan or instructions, I might give Colin a bell tomorrow just for info.

The old Merco runs as sweet as a nut, I've got a new crank case and head for it, TBH I've become a bit of a born again Merco fan now, 4 35's, a 29, 2 61's, and a new test stand to play with them in. It all adds to the vintage experience, but the neighbours won't be happy teeth 2 . I'm also scanning Ebay for 49 and John Walton is sorting out a twin pug head for me for one of the 61's.

Hope to see you at Greenacres.

Cheers,

Chris.

Advert

Chris and Steve

I have a Merco 49 once owned by Chris Olsen in my KK Falcon. It starts well but I have problems with running consistency. I also have one of Chris Olsen's Merco 61's which is clapped out. Other than those engines I have a Merco 29 and 35 which I have not used to date but did buy some new silencers for them a year or two ago as they were still available. I must admit I was somewhat perplexed with the baffle arrangement so I must look again at it. Also the silencers do not appear to have nipples fitted to pressurise fuel tanks----are yours the same Chris?

Best Wishes,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The standard Merco silencers are rubbish when it comes to silencing sad, hence the internal baffle on the 35 which is in the Super 60. It does make a real difference, and quick to manufacture from B&Q alloy tube.

The only solution for the pressure nipple is to drill and tap your own, as the silencers I have already had them fitted I didn't have to bother. As for the 61's, one is brand new, the other is barely run in so I'll enjoy finishing the running in on both of them. I still can't make up my mind as to which motor I fit in the Astro Hog, Merco 61 or OS70 FS.

Up to now I've had no problems with running the 35 which is fitted in the Super 60, but it's only been ran in the test stand.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

I built a 60 this Spring and didn't like the two cross-members behind the wing - looks a bit flimsy - so I built up a second former like the one at the front of the wing and used that - much stronger and much easier to lign up correctly.

Rhodehog

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been watching you'r build with intense interest as i intend to build a S/60 myself .Probably make it a winter project .I took to it after seeing one at my club .it looked so impressive ..You are doing great on you'r build good luck and blue skys when you fly. Bernie.yes

He actually completed the model Mike but I don't know whether he ever flew it. He did not fly in the monsoon at Greenacres because he had not yet passed his A Certificate, though I believe he had brought it with him. I had the pleasure of a lengthy conversation with him about aeromodelling in the marquee at Greenacres where we were all sheltering from the rain.

Unfortunately he died about a week after the event. However, Chris has left us nearly 400 pictures of the Super Sixty build in his album.

I sold him the Merco he fitted to the model. 

Edited By David Davis on 24/09/2013 13:25:56

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new here and came across this build thread as I have inherited an original KK Super 60 which I have started to build and been reading this thread with much interest and gleaning a wealth of information and advice. I was really saddened at Big Bandit passing away a true loss and I hope many more ppl get to see this great thread.

• 5 months later...

Bought a Ben Buckle 4 channel Super Sixty off E-bay last year for £20 including 5 working Futaba servos, fuel tank and linkages installed. Found a Merco 35 at Wings and Wheels for £2, MDS silencer for £1. Ran the Merco up today and ran like a top. Even used the original idle bar plug. Just got to mount the engine and install the Lemon receiver and off we go, I hope. Life is full of fond remembers.

Bought a Ben Buckle 4 channel Super Sixty off E-bay last year for £20 including 5 working Futaba servos, fuel tank and linkages installed. Found a Merco 35 at Wings and Wheels for £2, MDS silencer for £1. Ran the Merco up today and ran like a top. Even used the original idle bar plug. Just got to mount the engine and install the Lemon receiver and off we go, I hope. Life is full of fond remembers.

• 4 months later...