Super 60 build, Big Bandit

Big Bandit

Hi Chris

Try weak tea. use an old teabag and leave it soaking in cold water so that it stays weak and gently spray the airframe...

I believe that was how they used to get he antique linen effect on pristine white nylon. I suggest that you practice on something that doesn't matter first. I would not want to be responsible for the 3rd set of wings...

Martyn

Advert

Hi Martyn,

Great idea, I've still got the old A1 glider wings in the shed, I'll try it on those first. In the past I've mixed Humbrol enamel in with dope and it worked just fine, but don't try applying dope OVER Humbrol enamel peeps . I just thought it may work the same. I have to get to the BMFA office tomorrow for some kits, so I can get to B&Q at the same time and see what wood dye they have, could work the same. Spirit based, golden brown, might work, I'm clutching at straws and venturing into the unknown, but if you don't try you won't know.

A bit like Brainiac, don't try this at home, we do it so you don't have to . I'm not into blowing up caravans, just in case anyone's wondering .

Hi All,

Only managed a bit today again, it's so cold -9.9 in the shed this morning so I had the heater on for 3 hours and it was 3.4 when I went in there it finally reached 9.4 but it's still too cold for me to be sitting for too long.

I've managed to cover the wings now and they ain't too bad even after a couple of coats of my dodgy dope. I did cover the center section but made a dogs dinner of it so the nylons off again and it's sanded off ready to have another pop tomorrow.

Under side.

Upper side.

They still look too white but some of my dodgy none shrinking dope may do the trick, If I can get the center section re-covered to morrow I can look at doing the trim and finishing this one off.

As for the problems building a model of this size in the shed, I'm considering building a KK Bandit instead of the Astro Hog which will have to wait for the garage / workshop conversion.

Driving over to Wolverhampton now so at least every thing has time to dry properly for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Andy,

I'm not built for cold, had a 100 mile round trip to do yesterday evening to Wolverhampton and back 4 1/2 hours driving and that includes 45 minutes 300 yards from the junction 2 on the M54 where I wanted to get off. An accident between junctions 2 and 3 caused a long tailback so we had to wait 45 minutes and could see the junction we wanted. Then no more than 40 all the way back down the M6 and M69 all the way home.

Out at 6 this morning to drop the missus off, she has to work today, not many of the A roads around here are gritted so that was the best part of an hour. Put the breakfast out for the wild life, and the old grey squirrel has only just surfaced.

Then assembled the Super 60 to see what it looks like together at last. The wings aint turned out too bad.

Just need to raise the back end to stop the elevator dragging on the deck.

Not bad though, I'm relatively pleased with it.

I need to do the colour trim next week and I'm not looking forward to it, do the glazing and drop in an RX and rx battery, and hopefully maiden it when the wheathers a bit better.

I need to do a couple of indoor thingies next for a gig I've got at the beginning of March, so I need to make as final push to get this one finished.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 05/02/2012 13:37:48

I was in Wolves yesterday too, went to in laws for lunch, so had a better time than you by the sounds of it.

Glad to see you have a wooden prop, that what I'll be fitting.

Looking really good.

Andy

Thanks Lee, Danny,

Just need to get on with it now. I'll be looking for advise later Danny for some scale ideas for the Chippy or Tiger Moth for the OS 70 FS.

Tony,

The panels are so tight when put together they hold them selves OK, but will probably revert to a couple of screws into the main spar for security, all up wieght so far is about 3 pounds (not wieghed it yet) which aint bad for the wing area.

Bomber Boys is on BBC One now (9:00 to 10:30), The McGregor twins again, but may be worth watching.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 05/02/2012 21:35:07

Thanks Jim,

The remote glow was an impulse buy but I'm glad I did it looks in keeping somehow.

Thanks Steve,

I've been considering leaving a couple of tea bags in a jar of celly thinners and then thinning some dope with it. While I was at the BMFA office last week I brought some SMEA transfers for the fin, then I dropped into Steves Models in Ashby for some Flair paint and thinners, with a roll of frog tape from B&Q I'm hoping to get on with the trim at the week end.

I desparately need to design and build a couple of indoor fliers before the begining of March for a gig that my daughter has set me up for in Sheffield for a group of 16. So I need to finish this one off and clear the decks. Now the weather forcast has predicted anther drop in temperature to minus 10 for Thursday so it aint looking good for shed time.

Cheers,

Chris.

Looking really good Chris.

The colour match now that it is assembled and dried looks very close. Looking forward to seeing it finished..

I use a 3 bar Halogen heater located on the bench. Not ideal, but no naked flames and a safety cutout in case it falls over. I think it cost about £20.00 from PoundStrecher. I only ever use 2 bars (800W) and it makes a 13'x8' shed bareable.

I also have a frost heater running all the time - last year I had problems with glues solidifying in the frost.Haven't had that problem this year.

Martyn

PS - close the back door - you will let all the cold in..

Edited By Martyn K on 06/02/2012 23:07:38

FANTASTIC

Hi All,

Despite the cold, first I put the heater on in the shed. By bthe time I got out there it was only 7.7 so first of all I did the masking off, for this I used frog tape. One or two people have mentioned it so I thought I'd see if it works. I'm using Flair matt finish enamel and the first attempt , looks patchy.

1 lesson learned, use a decent tool, not just any old brush.

This was so patchy, and these are just not up to the job.

This is so much better.

Just needs over night to dry now, then off with the tape and see what we have, fingers crossed.

If it works OK then I'll do the leading edge of the wings, then a final coat of satin spray fuel proofer, before re-fitting the motor and glazing. The kitchen roll is for cleaning, it's no use dropping the tool into some thinners and expecting it to be of use in the morning. Any tool needs a proper clean .

Off for breakfast with Mrs BB tomorrow morning at the Great Central Station, in Quorn, so I won't be on the case until later, but hopefully will get more done, and see what we have so far.

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

Ronseal clear satin varnish applied with a small foam roller gives a good vintage finish to this type of model,

might be worth a trying on a test piece to see what you think.

I dont know much about this frog tape but normally the tape is removed before the paint hardens and then it is less likely to adhere to the tape ..

dont want to spoil a good job with raggy lines

JC ne23 raggy lines dept.

I think Frog tape only work on water based paint where the waer does something to the edge of the tape.

Interested to see how it turns out as I'll have mine to do in due course.

Andy

Hi Jim, Andy,

The first side aint too bad,

And the rear end.

As for the other side, I'm not impressed,

And the rear end,

Theres still plenty of latitude to recover the bleed under as this side is about 1 mm thinner at the bottom, and that's me being sloppy . I can recover this with more tape applied with a bit more care and a decent sign writting tool me hopes.

It's freezing in the shed now, so I've just had dinner and Mrs BB is doing pancakes for afters , I'm sorted.

Cheers,

Chris.