Any decent Bf 109 kits?

Del Wheatley

Advert

Here's the link to Cambrian: http://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ Hope I did that right!!

Clicking on the 109 reveals a blank page, might have to ask them if they have one.

Can't think of any other kits around this size apart from the Brian Taylor 109 which is more of a short kit (and a very long build!!)

The YT Bf109E looks quite nice but is a little bit bigger for 120 four-stroke power.

GB

Look at the Brian Taylor range of kits here:

There is a 61" F model and a 68" E model.

I am building the E model and its not too challenging, also it is a quick build.

• 1 month later...
Posted by Gary Binnie on 27/12/2011 12:08:09:
Here's another not quite finished project!! Small model is 1/48 scale. I'm struggling with the retract air lines hitting the wheels, might have to go for electric retracts. Not a bad kit, there were some fair size splits in the wing veneer but they were easily fixed.

Hi Gary,

Is that the cambrian 109? Looks very good.

Do you have any more build pictures or pictures of the plane so far?

Nick

Hi Nick, yes, it's the Cambrian Bf109E. There is more info and plenty of photos in my RC Groups build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186596

I havn't worked on it for a wee while and it has not progressed much above the photo in the post above. I've got a problem with the air retracts which I'm struggling to beat, the air pipes coming out of the cylinders are hitting the wheels as the legs are on the short side. Electric retracts might be the answer but I've got plenty of other projects on the building board at the moment!

Cheers

Gary

erm, NO ITS NOT, mine is a pussycat, why is it a handfull? mine is the original version, only differance in the new version is the wheels are more in the scale position, they where moved cos buyrs complained of it ground looping, for me, you should get more scalepoints for that, for the full size did just the same, for me, against my favorite corsair and mk14 spitfire, its one of the best YT flyers i have had

Posted by Gary Binnie on 26/02/2012 20:08:55:

Hi Nick, yes, it's the Cambrian Bf109E. There is more info and plenty of photos in my RC Groups build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186596

I havn't worked on it for a wee while and it has not progressed much above the photo in the post above. I've got a problem with the air retracts which I'm struggling to beat, the air pipes coming out of the cylinders are hitting the wheels as the legs are on the short side. Electric retracts might be the answer but I've got plenty of other projects on the building board at the moment!

Cheers

Gary

How about using a pair of robart 605 (85degree retract angle version)instead? the robarts allow the air cylinder to be positioned opposite to the struts. that way the air cylinder will no longer be an issue.

Nick

• 2 months later...

I've been looking,thanks for the suggestions.I've come across this in the perfect size **LINK**.so i'm gonna give em a ring next week and add it to the build list.

Should be all set for the time between operations now with a basic 3D to build,the TN spitfire in 62" and now the 109.

must say i'm sriously tempted by the 81" mosquito on the trapplet site as well.

Edited By Del Wheatley on 05/06/2012 18:54:05

Have you looked at the slightly bigger BT 109? Its 72"wingspan and mine flew on a TT 91 four stroke. Another big advantage is that it takes the E Flite electric retracts which are so easy to use.

Hopefully the smaller one will be cut to the same high standard so whichever you choose, I'm sure that as its BT , it will be designed really well.

I have the larger BT BF109E CNC kit from Traplet. Excellent build and very light, but strong. Still not finished, but plan is either a 91 FS or 15cc Petrol. Decals were tailored and ordered from BMD Graphics, based on an aircraft in the 109 Aces book.

This is an excellent kit. I also managed to get the retracts listed on the plan from Unitracts; not sure you can get them anymore.