The Gemini project

Richard Harris

All 'repairs' and 'in progress' builds came to a halt last week. I was doodling at work during a tea break thinking, how could Nellie be built if it were mainly balsa?
The idea developed from that moment, so I put pen to paper the 3 days off I had before Christmas whilst the kids were still at school. Some models have now been dispersed from the shed so I have a little more room to fill!
In a true male style the christmas shopping (my bit) was all rolled into one day! luckily for me I had planned my route so I ended up just a few miles from Steve Webb models where all the bits were picked up.
I am not the type of person who can sit on a sofa all day long watching TV so between the christmas mayhem and entertaining I have been busy cutting parts out for the pusher autogyro.

I have set a target of 3 weeks from the day I sat down at the computer plotting away. Now into the second week I have made a start on the fuselage, it took a bit of thinking on how to create a rounded shape quickly. Then I thought of a boat hull, so the main component and where all the strength is on this model is the keel. The boom and mast will be made from 10mm carbon tube and slot into the keel.
All the formers etc are just slotted into position, a couple of fuselage sides and some planking. Nothing new but lots and lots of sanding ahead.
Construction started last night, all was going well until I started the planking. Trying to be clever I tried to do it all in one....big mistake. It was then split into 3 sections to which they have been done now. The underside at the rear had to be planked with curved strips of 3mm balsa, not an easy task.

Estimated weight of the 'Gemini' will be around 6lbs so it is not the smallest.
A few rubbish photos of what we have so far.

Rich

Advert

BEB,
Its amazing what a cheap out of focus camera doesn't pick up on

Tom,
The plan is for a single rotor on top with maybe 2 or 3 blades, just haven't decided yet.

A bit more planking has been added plus the mast shroud and a cowl.The UC has been made from 2024 T3 aircraft grade alloy which can only be bent so far before it snaps so I had to be very careful, but it will be up to the job I think. This slots in from the back of the fuselage and is bolted using two M4 blots ( will have to make a couple of access holes underneath to get them up through).
The mast is made from 10mm carbon tube and is covered in a lite ply/ birch ply/balsa fairing, the pitch hinge is built into this.
The cowl will have airs coops at the front a top rear hole and some curved vents at the bottom. I have always wanted to do vents like this, kind of like those found on the side of a F1 car.

Need to get everything fitted and have a mass sanding session!!

My son Sam holding 'Gemini'

Rich

I have produced quite a bit of balsa dust this morning and made up the head, used 3 of those large Robart pin hinges in it to give me roll control. Have also streamlined the top of the head to try and hide the gearbox that will be used.
Front UC leg has been bent up and fitted and she is now proudly sat on her feet for the first time.
Need to trim the CF boom to length and make the tailplane, think I will laminate 2 sheets of 6mm depron and maybe add some kind of strengthener inside.

Rich

Made up the tail feathers this morning along with a mount, they are easily removable in case of an incident or I decide on a shape change. Just taped together at the moment.

Weight as you see it with motor and servos fitted is 2 1/4 lbs .

Things are taking shape now..just needs sanding all over and slap on some covering.

Rich

Part of the agreement for building this one was that 'The Boss' got to choose the colours, luckily for me I had a spare roll of white Toughlon in the shed much to her dismay and have tried to reduce the 'pinkness'.

Wheel spats are just 2 pieces of 3/ 8" balsa with a 1" balsa centre sandwich, carved at until happy then sanded to there rough shape. Still need to add the hardwood mounts before cladding them in covering.

The last photo is the tail mount, just needs to be sanded and covered.

Hoping to get it all wrapped up in the next few days, then get the electrics in. Just a case of waiting for weather then.

Rich

Well that's just about it, it has made given me a nice break from those 'In progress builds' which I will no crack on with. I am pretty pleased with the results and have enjoyed building the Gemini , like the saying goes 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
All that needs to be done now is to fit the electrics /control rods etc up, the pilot has been swiped off one of my Micro Mold Wallis's.

If anyone is interested the AUW has ended up at about the 3 3/4 lb mark, I have opted for a 75" rotor that I have spare. As mentioned else where I am more than happy to make up a set of rotors and show you how I go about dynamically balancing them etc, if not then that's fair enough .
The only thing that worries me is that cowl, I have tried to add cooling around it but until tested I have no idea whether it will run cool enough?
So that's it folks, when I get chance to try it up the field I will report back good or bad.

A few photos of the 90% finished 'Gemini', one along side my Nell just to give you an idea of its size.

Regards

Rich

A stressful week of nights and after a short sleep and a look outside I decided today was the day to get out and go maiden the Gemini. So off I went, me, Gemini and a roll of duct tape!

Took a few snaps just in case things went pair shaped

Weather like today is just perfect for hopping these things as it gives you great feedback to what is happening. So it was hop trim, hop trim etc etc. I needed 3 clicks of left trim and 2 of down before it was doing long hops straight and true without any thumb juggling inputs. A quick top up on the 4s 3000mah Lipo and we were good to go
Considering this was just an idea on my last lot of nights I am absolutely chuffed with the way it flies.
The only thing I really need to fine tune is the blades, as I was increasing the airspeed it rolls very slightly to the right. I have had this before and it is cause by to much cone in the rotor disc. As the airspeed is increased the rotors spin faster which causes them to flatten out altering roll trim. Easy to get around with a bit of mass in the tips of the blades.
Very easy to fly and stable with that biggish tailplane added.
DUCT TAPE?

My quick thinking solution to mount my video camera to my transmitter. So this short flight was unfortunately taken by me, point and hope!

I will get better footage once the small mods are done and I can get my camera girl up to the field.

But for now just a short clip

Onwards and upwards

Rich

Cheers Chaps,

Thinking the pilot is a little small I have decided to carve a larger one from pink foam.
I had some pointers from my good friend and club mate David Vaughan of scale modelling fame back in the 70's. Now his pilots look like the real McCoy, mine always end up looking like they are home made

Made a start in the week but never really commited until I knew the model flew ok. From a distance and with your eyes half closed it should be ok!..lol

Rich

Absolutely first class Rich,love the design it looks modern and would have with good commercial appeal as a kit.
The weather was perfect today but even taking that in to account the model appears to be rock steady and vice less,as Danny suggests it looks like the best one yet..
With that low rotor loading it will be interesting to hear how she handles some wind.bet the landings would be really slow.

Tom.

Yes I think they may well be Tom.

Had a couple of hours up the field this afternoon and managed to drag Debs out to film.

Made another video which is better than the first I think, she's got a good eye

I'm liking this gyro

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 14/01/2012 23:12:51

• 2 weeks later...
I bought one of those cheap key fob cameras to have a play with and tried it in several positions on my new Gemini design.
The results aren't bad but the lighting was awful today, it was mounted out on a 2ft length of carbon tube. At the rear facing forwards, at the front facing backwards and at the front facing forwards. I ran out of light before I could try other positions, plus my fingers and toes went numb!

Maybe better results will be gained with a bit of sunlight?

Rich

Sorry about the music, there was a lot of wind noise, especially in that prop wash.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend Rich has helped me out to double check that all the parts fit together on the Gemini. He has made a cracking job and puts mine to shame.
He and a few others came up to my field for an afternoon of madness, Rich maidened his and it flies a treat (which is reassuring).

Had a bit of fun with them both in the air at the same time once he was comfortable with his.
Managed to get a video.

Rich

• 1 year later...