Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Advert

Gentalmen.

I have sent Steve a copy of the CFL PDF which has enough info to complete the model but the document is un edited and does not yet include photos of the completed model , pilot notes, blade balancing, trim settings,and other stuff I would like to see included. You are all welcome to a copy for for pre release assessment ,or you can hang on until the above has been included and the final edits are complete .

If you would like a pre release copy just let me know , also let me know if you are interested in the ready built blade set ( they will need is the GF parts glueing in place ,balancing and covering) These blades are manufactured in the UK will be test flown against the pdf build pattern blades next week, and I anticipate they will perform well on , CF MK2 , CF SFH, and the CF "Lite" (CFL) .

The CFL independent test flights,are going well and should be completed this week end .At this stage no changes to the design are predicted as it is meeting the design aims laid down for a robust easy to fly machine.I am tempted to say it's the easiest to fly single rotor Auto gyro yet ,but I will let the builders who have flown other types decide that along with the independent test pilots report . Please stay tuned as its all coming together nicely.

Regards

Tom.

I will not be selling the the blades but when trials are complete , a link to the UK based supplier will be posted along with more info. smile p.

More work today on the independent flights,and additions to the PDF done, and some good comments from others present at the flight trials. . Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine smile d.Lets hope it lasts for Winterton.

Tom.

I have been away from autogyros these past months due to work pressures but back to it this past week.

I have had a few 5 miminute flights with a CF SF and HK C-30 blades but always find the roll control over sensitive. Today a helicopter driver arrived at the club and witnesed my crash (no big damage!) and said that I had far too much throw on the head roll axis. This is currently set to 12 degrees left and right (with the 3 degree offset as zero) and I have 60% rates so about +- 7 degrees. What do others use? He suggested 5 or 6 degrees left and right from the offset zero would be enough and then with rates on top it could be further reduced.

Peter

Hi Peter

Glad to hear you are able to get back to some Autogyro flying smile. The apparent roll sensitivity, or rotor follow rate, depends on how fast the machine is flown . Could it be a little up trim and less power could make things more comfortable ? The roll authority is also down to pilot preference ,but can be reduced to the point when roll inputs also require coordinated use of rudder ,or as in the case of the "Lite" coupled rudder with low rotor throws can be delightfully easy to manage . The other alternative is to add 3 grm of weight to each tip this will slightly slow the spin up but reduce the follow rate.

Tom.

Thanks Tom - but what I was after was a throw setting in degrees from the 3 degrees of left offset I have. This gives straight-as-a-die flight from launch by the way so must be correct!

I am thinking about 6 degrees left and right from this (offest) zero point.

Peter

Peter

It's more a matter of progressively reducing the throws to suit your requirements , but a point can be reached were if an over bank situation occurs you may not have enough authority to get back to level . Reducing rotor throw will not necessarily change the perceived sensitivity, as the follow rate will be unchanged, hence my previous comments.

I don't measure the head deflection angle, as the trim offset and throws are "eye balled" but ,I would think 5-6 degrees either side of the trim offset would be OK . For turns it's more a matter off applying measured control inputs and then backing off or even using opposite stick to control the bank angle. Using elevator to keep the nose from dropping in the turns also increases the the rate of turn so you may find that after initiating the turn opposite rotor is needed while the up elevator does the job of keeping the nose up and completing the turn. It's essential in the early days to turn at a moderate speed as flying and turning fast requires a good deal of experience.

It sounds like you are doing well ,and could be increasing roll throws again after a few more sorties. Have you fitted a rudder ?

Tom.

Wow Tom, you are burning the midnight oil tonight!

Thanks for the response - and I understand that with your experience you can set up a head by eye-balling but my many years in engineering design means that I struggle without some figures to work to. I expect that after a couple of dozen fuss free flights I too will be able to judge the amounts required by eye! Here's hoping anyway.

I will be at the field again on Saturday and wind willing will give it a go and report back.

By the way I will take a set or two of blades and a couple of my French friends will no doubt have sets as well.

Thanks again,

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 08/07/2013 08:08:37

Edited By Grasshopper on 08/07/2013 08:09:00

Back from hols so its back to the Cranefly so i can have it ready for the Autogyro meet. Going to order the motor and esc but Giantshark have the motor in stock but they reccomdend a 60amp esc which they dont have in stock. The Esc that you reccomend is a Min 30amp with a 5v output but on their website it states it is a 3v output can i use this if it has the right prop on to keep the amps down or should i use a 60amp as stated. Glen