New Electric Lanc plan

Lew Weaver

Pity I have to use my first post to moan, but having purchased all the bits for the new electric Lanc, which I am building for a friend, I discovered, after confirmation from SLEC, that the plan was printed with a scaleing error.
I received a replacement set of plans today which are just as bad if not worse - what's going on?

Guys,

I'm aware there is a problems with the plan as SLEC gave me a call. As you know all of my designs are done on Autocad so I keep control and avoid the Plans Dept from redrawing it. However when I hand a 'package'over, they do make minor mods ie text, logos etc and it seems in this case the scales has changed....hopefully they can sort it quickly..but agreed it is annoying, especially for me knowing you can't crack on with what is a lovely model. The SLEC Parts are correctly sized though..I have checked
Regards Tony N

Hi Tony in the Febuary RCME wrote about using brushless motors to power the Avro Lancaster.
Do you have to use one speed controller with each motor. If so, how do wire the four controllers together,and power the the radio reciever?
Allso how was the FlightPower pack wired up and charged?
Can this information be published in later editions of the RCME.
Thanks Dave

Tony
It's a shame that your plan has been wrongly scaled (twice).

I am building the fuselage from the original plan (sheet 1) and the CNC parts fit together very well.

I have started on the nacelles and have a query re part NO3, the third former on the outer nacelle - the plan shows no hole in this former, but the CNC part has a hole cut in it - also this former does not seem to fit where shown unless slots are cut or it trimmed down in size?

Hi Guys'
Lew, the NO3 on the cnc pack does have a lightning hole because its made of Liteply, If building from the plan without the CNC pack, the suggestion is 3mm balsa and therefore lightning hole in balsa is a bit of a waste of time!..hope this clarifies..

I have re-check the plan scale and with the Plan dept. so I do hope they print it right this time!!!!!

Dave, Each brusless motor does require its own speed controller. Just Y lead all the 4 controller leads together to input No3 as normal. You can parallel the battery connections from each controller to one battery if you wish or.If the controller is non BEC then a separate RX battery would be require.... If the controllers are BEC, then even if you connect one controller up to battery, the rest of the controllers and radio will operate. By the time you have connected all the controllers up they will all be providing BEC power so even if one controller say burns out, three others are still powering the rx and servos

Tony

Tony
Thanks for that - wondered what that hole was for!

Not sure about your advice to Dave re paralleling up the BECs - I had bother once when 2 BECs were connected in parallel, but the problem was removed when only one BEC was used. Would four BECs not conflict with each other?

Hi Tony Nijhuis,
This is my second lanc im building, the first being direct drive 400's.
the gearboxes i have are a 2.1:1 and not the 2.33:1 stated.Will these make a lot of difference in performance using 2 x 1700 cp packs and 2 x speed controllers with the 3 bladed props.
finally ,thanks for some brilliant plans in the past....you've done 1..2..and 4 engined planes how about doing the ju 52 for the 3 engines.IM SURE YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF MODELLERS WAITING FOR A PLAN.

CHEERS FOR NOW

VINCE

Vince, Thanks for the comments..I'll try to continue the output but I'm struggling to fit them in around the wife, 4-kids and the daily slog to London...zzzzzz...need to get some sleep i think!!!!.
Using the 2.1:1 will put a little extra load on the motors so make sure you have good cooling and maybe trim another 1/4" off the 3-bladed prop.

Lew, N03 is glued onto the wing skin hard up against rear edge of NS1 & NS2. If you notch out a couple of slots in NO3, just so it 'bites' onto the nacelle sides then this will help make NO3 a little more secure but its really not critical.

Thanks tony,thanks,i'll do that.I'll be doing the B-17 and the Wellington next and iv'e blown up the little spitfire to a 48 inch w/s and it flies great on a 22 turn motor,very scale like.....cheers for now..
vince.

p.s

while your getting some sleep,dream of the ju-52
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ju-52ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lew, have spoken with Pyramid Models re a replica decal set for the 72" Lanc as per Tony N's finished model shown in the mag.

They say they can supply a set that includes roundels, fin stripes, "Micky the Moocher" nose art/St George badge, bombs and also the lettering which will be outlined in yellow as per the fullsize current BBMF Lanc, although I hear the livery of this has just changed for 07.

The complete set is £25 + £2.50 P+P Tel 01462 731562

Hi everyone,
I have put a picture of Phantom Of The Ruhr in my photo album of the nose art if your interested.I don't know when it will go live (hopefully soon).
the BBMF Lancaster will become: EE139 'Phantom Of The Ruhr'which flew with both 100 sqn and 550 sqn.
the BBMF lanc is being re-painted of the 100 sqn who's captain was Flt. Lt Ron Clarke.
Phantom Of The Ruhr was also chosen for flying over one hundred missions.
The new flying livery will also coincide withthe BBMF 50th anniversery.

I hope this helps anyone who's building the new lanc ,who wants the 'Phantom 'livery .

cheers for now
vince