New Electric Lanc plan

Lew Weaver

There certainly is David, Have a look here, although they call it the 12ft Lanc for some reason...........
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=867781&highlight=Lancaster#post867781)

Can't seem to paste live links in here so you will have to copy and paste it in your brouser.
This model is on my looooooooooong list of to build models too. I saw Tony's nearly completed latest 11ft Lanc at Hendon last year, and it certainly makes up into a beautiful model.

Walts

• 2 weeks later...
Tony N

Query re the Wings.

Ribs W13, 14 & 15 do not sit fully on the upper/lower 6mm sq main spar's, they only sit onto the spar's by approx 3mm, as a result they obviously do not align with the other ribs in flowing height to the tip.

I presume both upper & lower 6mm sq main spar's are reduced in thickness by 3mm from W12 thru to W15 to allow the ribs to sit on the build surface and so align in flowing height with the other ribs?

Cheers
Tony

TN

Also the rear jig tabs of W4 thru W11 do not allow these ribs to sit fully on the bottom 6mm sq main spar, in effect they sit approx 2.5mm above this spar and do not fully drop down onto it.

Are we supposed to reduce the height of the rear jig tabs accordingly to allow the ribs to sit on 6mm sq main spar?

Or

Should we raise the lower main spar up into the rib slots?....but this then goes against the mag advice to pin the spars to the build board.

Thanks for your input Leigh as it is exactly what I was thinking of doing but wanted to get it confirmed with TN to be sure...have no desire to rebuild a wing!

There is an on-going build on the RC Groups forum of this plane, it appears the guy has reduced the height of the rear jig tabs as they do not appear the same height as mine and also reduced the thickness of the 6mm main spars at W13-W15 to allow them to sit correctly.

I see the guy has also added operating U/C doors but wonder how much weight is being added to have such nicety's on this model.

Also did you notice that outline drawing of rib W11 was missing from the plan?

Hi Guys
I am in the final stages of building this lanc. I have installed robart retracts which are a little heavier than the suggested eurokit ones, working bomb doors working tail wheel and lighting. With a 5 cell lipo 3900mah at around a pound the all up weight will be 7lbs 5ozs. A little overweight but at 600w power It should be ok. Fingers crossed...
Ps I shimmed up the lower spar on the wings.

Anybody considderd dropping bombs?

Planning on having my bay doors on my flap channel, on my optic 6, one dial opens the doors the other will activate a small solenoid, via an onboard glow switch, which will release the payload. I hope.

also got my top turret hooked up to a 5 gram servo and my rudder channel. works on the bench. will see what happens in situ.

Are you looking at my lanc on rcgroups planedead? my username is twchdyn.

If so the extra weight isnt really an issue as the bomb doors are operated by high tech elastic bands. Even so if i remember correctly my setup should give me 800 watts (on paper). time will tell.

Hi Leigh,

The lighting came from www.lightingforaeromodellers.co.uk.
The guy there is very helpful and the prouducts are VERY bright. did a test in the sunshine outside and they were clearly visible. I have 2 red 2 green on wing tips. 2 landing lights. 1 white on top of fus and 1 red on bottom which are alternating flashers, athey all run from a 4.8v flight batt.
The bomb doors run off a servo and pushrods on the flap channel.
I thought of dropping bombs and favorite at the club was a dog turd in a paper bag over the flight line!! better not though i think ill just go for little green army men and parachutes, can't afford any more weight so as the doors open they will fall out (I hope!!).

Hi Andrew

Order direct via the RCM&E plans service on 01689 899228/229

Item ref: SET RC2039 contains the Plans, CNC Parts & Mouldings @£109 plus p+p

You will also get a note with the pack advising of the 'wood pack' that you will also need which Slec are supplying.

The Plan feature re the build is in the Dec 06 & Jan 07 RCM&E mags which can be back ordered.

Yeah ya right, sorry about that, was thinking of the taster that was in Dec 06....Oh well at least you have all three mags, enjoy the build!
Mine is coming on well, its just this good weather is taking my spare time up for other things...wife sortin DIY jobs n kids wantin to go everywhere 'n' anywhere....roll on the rain!!

Problem with series-parallel wiring od motors in Lancaster.
I flew and crashed my Lanc last weekend. It flew well for 3 circuits until both port engines failed at the worst time and the model stalled into the ground. (There was no room to cut all power and try to glide in)
It seems to me if one motor loses a prop or the gearbox fails that motor will speed up and the other motor in series will also loose power. I think this is what happened in my case. I suggest wiring all motors in parallel 2 motors for for each 8 cell battery pack.

Has anyone fitted brushless motors to this model. I would welcome your experience and details of your setups

Malcolm,
Sorry to hear about the crash But it sounds like one of the port motors failed (Burnt out) and went to open circuit which would have shut down the other port motor too. Certainly pairing two sets of motor in parallel to one 8-cell battery would avoid the problem, even with a motor burn out although if a dead short occured across the 'failed motor' the same 'crash situation' may have occured. Idealy, if you link the in-board motors together and the same with the out-board, at least then you can only get 'symetrical' in or out-board failure! This may be the ideal option!
I know quite a number of builders have gone the brushless set-up using 4 motors, each with speed controllers and connected to 0ne or a pair of batteries. At least this way if a motor or controller fails, its only one out of four and the lanc can still fly on three engines!

Tony

Tony,
Thanks for your reply. I purchase my plan pack from SLEC at the Hastings Show last year and really enjoyed building it. I am in the process of building a new fuselage, repairing the wings and refitting the tail end which was undamaged. Are you able to advise on specific modestly priced brushless motors that would be suitable? I was using three blade master props 9x6" cut down to 8x6" as suggested wit gearboxe drives but the speed 400 motors were very hot after the flight.
Regards
Malcolm

Malcolm
This is what I used on our Lanc.
It has ample power and has 3 flights so far (it's now in the paint shop)

Motors - BM2409-12 brushless outrunner
ESCs Fly Series 25/30A
Airpower 2S 4100mAH
APCe 8x4 Props

The motors and ESCs were bought from RCMDirect (www.RCMDirect.co.uk).

Hope this helps

Lew