New Electric Lanc plan

Lew Weaver

This doesn't help a great deal but I managed to get the tubing from FA and I have to say it's heavy.  It might be worth damning the expense and going for carbon tube instead - I may well do that when I start the build.  I have all the component parts for the Lanc and weighed them, bearing in mind I'll lose some balsa and ply through scraps, it weighed 26.5oz without batteries!  The Phenolic tube constituted a significant part of that, thus the carbon option.

Andrew

Advert

Tony,

I thought about that but I thought the tube method looked more secure. Great model by the way. It's going together much quicker than I expected. One question though. My motors havn't arrived yet (brushless) so can I just go ahead with the nacelles and fix the motors later wit a few screws?

Cheers, John

John, assuming you are using outrunners with a prop adaptor mounted on the shaft, you will have to make up a 'top hat' type mount that is glued to the fire wall. This being the case as long as you draw the power wiring the controller wiring through the fire wall and secure them, then build away.....

Tony 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lew, Iv'e just watched your short video of your TN 72" Lanc. Excellent! I'm building one also, but its taking me a wee bit longer than you yours. I purchased my set of drgs last May and it;ll be next May before it sees outside. Looking at your vid, it seems to fly quite fast, I thought it'd be quite lumbering. Good thread this.

regards,  Colin Borthwick

ps Mine will be a scottish Lanc to!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tony/all, JP are now doing 8x4 3 Bladed lightweight props. This will give my Lanc 820Watts! They are also doing reverse rotation props. I have not built in any offset on my nacelles. Do I need too? Is there any benefit to running inboards and outboards in different directions? All shall I just have them running the usual way!
http://www.itsrendering.co.uk/jamie/mylanc.jpeg

Cheers Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for the link for the props.

I am using RCM Direct Brushless motors A2409-12T with Melody 25/35 amp speed controller with 2blade 8x6 props and 2 off 2200mah Nimh 8cell packs. It is important that these cells are charged immediately before the flight so that they are warm otherwise they have poor performance from cold.

I was advised to keep the leads between the batteries and the speed controllers as short as possible and so I assembled the 4 speed controllers into a pack and fitted a small cooling fan run off one of the packs. This assembly is mounted in the fuselage but means that I have 3 wires running to each motor. Painted, ready to fly the model weighs just under 8 lbs buy flew very well. I have a set of 9x9 3blade props cut down to 8x9 which look great but I am worried that the current drawn withe these will be too high. I would like to change to Lipos and think the 8x4 props with 3 s lipos should be good.

Malcolm

Snap on the brushless! I am using them with 25A speed controllers. Going to plug it up to an ammeter but think it will pull about 22Amps of LIPO's! Mine is coming in at 2500g before sanding sealer, tissue, dope and paint. I didn't want it to be underpowered. Do you have plenty of power in reserve?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just ordered a set of spinners as offered from theb plans service, see below

Hello,

we have contacted the supplier and they are prepared to supply the spinners only. Cost: £7.45 per set including p&p. Please refer to this quote when you order. You can either email us your details - some customers split their card details over 2 emails for security. Or you can phone us on the number below betwenn 9am - 3pm.

Kind regards
Jane Horwood

The Plans Service, Books & Binders

Please note new phone number

Order Hotline (9-3) telephone 020 8144 5486 (answermachine outside these hours)
email [email protected]

*NEW WEBSITE*  www.myhobbystore.com

The Plans Service
The Leys
Church Street
Twyford
Buckingham
MK18 4EU

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

A building question

I am building the 72" Lanc and have chosen to use the ply tongue method for joining the wings, i.e. not the tube method

I am not clear how to fit the wings to the fuselage accurately on both sides of the fuselage, with the correct incidence and lateral placing etc - Is there a method I should follow and should I be cutting the stringers to allow the wooden batterns to fit through - if so won't that leave the ends of them unsupported?

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks 

Thanks Eric

The ply tongues are already glued into the wings - so it looks like i have a bit of surgery to do to fit to the fuselage

i understand your point about the box in the fuselage - should I sheet it first, at the moment I just have the stringers on the top half? and should i perhaps include a small dowel near the wing tips to help locate and get the incidence right?

What do you think

Regards 

Hi Marc,

I used the tube method and used the Datum line drawn on the wing rib and lined it up with the sheeting join on the fus. Assumung you have sheeted as per the plan it should be ok. Mine flys just fine.

Also if you need to locate stringers from the outside after sheeting I just push a pin through from the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KSAAP1BF4

Mat