Northern Model Exhibition 2nd March

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi Olly, still trying to sort out who will be going from the club and when.

I must say, there seems a mixed response within club members, much less enthusiasm than I would have thought.

I guess it is a little chicken and egg. If it were a Toledo, Dortmund or Nuremberg, we would be queuing at the door, yet to get to that size and quality, it needs to establish a reputation, of a must visit show. Then again, at present it is a one off, no track record, little publicity.

For some there seems to be a problem with there being Train Sets, Boats and Engineering Models. For me that is what a model exhibition is all about.

I am at best, an ordinary builder, it is good to see what can be done.

A number were lamenting the lack of trade stands. In this area, i do agree. I think the exhibition has a far greater chance of both short and long term success with a mixture. What is required is for the likes of RCM&E and others wanting to attend for commercial reasons.

Hopefully from small acorns that mighty oak grows etc. etc.

Right, Lee and Alan, that's 2 to meet with on Sat.

I've had a look and can't tell, If I buy a ticket tomorrow (and take the misses to see the steam bits) does it still count for saturday, or are they day tickets only?

Either way I'm definatly going Sat with my Dad, it's just if I pop along tomorrow too.

Happy St. Davids Day by the way!

I just came away from setting up.

Loads of stuff to see if you're into steam and trains and boats. Not so much if your into model aircraft.

My club (Tyldesley MFC), Bury Metro MFC and Barton Control Line club who are all just displaying for local publicity.

The BMFA. (who are sorting out a little indoor flying

The LMA (who are threatening to run up a turbine inside the hall!

Horizon Hobbies. (who are probably not selling.

Failing that there are a few stands setting up to sell modelling goods and tooling.

BUT

It is a big event and if the weather is crappy - then why not.

Drop 'er indoors off in the trafford centre and meet her over the road later on.

Andy

Lads, the location will be fine adjacent to the Trafford Centre.

Its great we have a three day event coming to the North with times are so tight, so best support this one and the organiser.. be nice to think we may develop into a substantial affair that we can look forward to annually... enlightened

I used to love Sandown and put up with trip to the South East.. used to get to see Concorde passover enroute to JFK at 1315 too.. yes

I cannot believe it is not advertised in this months BMFA news, and they are attending, perhaps its NW region guys etc.. good luck all the same... if it okay.. why push for a flying hall for next year, evening or daytime swapmeet... something to challenge the lost big shows of last few years..

Would be great to see a Watford style swapmeet in the North, plus a trade show to kill all trade shows... plenty of cheap hotels in the area, Ringway for flights and trains not far away either.. with exceptional entertainment in the Trafford Centre..... no I do not work for any of them.. just keen we get a good show in the North West and see others visiting too.. be good for all and some of the guys from further North could make it too..

Tell your club mates, see you there, I am going for 1130 tomorrow.. Mrs is staying at home so full browser mode.. party

Edited By Area 51 on 01/03/2012 19:33:19

S/Trash... thanks for the update here.. Sounds like it will have the makings of the good do.. trains etc not my bag, however if someone makes the effort to display I will be keen to see their work and congratualte them. I bet I can find some tools and gear to buy for helping with the aeros... Lets hope the LMA run up the Victor.. face 1

Well done with your update, efforts today and for sticking your oar in with the TMFC turning up.. excellent effort.

I had a good nosey round yesterday after dropping off the Stuka and DVII on the BMMFC stand- and it is well worth a visit if you are a "builder", though perhaps less if you look on assembling an ARTF as an inconvenience before you get to fly it!! Having said that there is an indoor flying area- so maybe not!

Lots of boats/steam stuff etc but a few of those huge tool stands that sell all manner of widgets where you don't know what half the stuff is for. I could feel my wallet twitching- I'm a sucker for tools of any kind. Don't go expecting to be picking up cheap airframes/radio gear, but as some examples of what people can produce in their sheds it's well worth a look.

Now- should my next project be a yacht?

I have the opportunity to see Andy Watsons Ju 87 at the show. Probably the best built hobbyist model at the show.

As impressive is a Gilmore Racer on the same stand. The difference is that these Vietnamese or Chinese young ladies also do an outstanding job. To the extent I want one. The Bury Metro stand has some good, or should that be excellent models.

Another must see is the Barton Clubs stand. There is a "Barton B" team racer, with a finish that Rolls Royce or Maybach, would die for. A speed model, with a aluminium wing, of such precision and finish that is seldom seen, even on "Slip Gauges" or any other precision high finished metal surface.

In some ways it is unfair to single out any one or small number of models, as the other model aircraft stands were also good.

I am normally, and do not try and hide the fact, very critical of the BMFA. At previous shows such as the Harrogate Winter Show, you wonder why they bothered to turn up. Not this time, they took a deffinate step in the right direction. The stand was manned not by octagarian old whatsits (like me), but a good mixture ranging from youngish to experienced representatives. I had a good old chat with an indoor expert modeller. In addition there was promotional material. But that is only half of it, there was a Phoenix flight simulator. I enjoyed this twice, excellent idea, More impressively they had also arranged a couple of indoor modellers in a Badminton sized area, fling a variety of indoor models of wide variety of type.

For model trade stands, there was whoever distributes the Gee Bee , is it Parkzone, some good models here, not for sale it would seem. It was certainly a drool point for a number of youngsters with their Mums.

Now I could post a few pictures, that is if you like model railway engines. In fact Mr Whittacker was spotted, circulating with some black protuberance sticking out of his face. Was he born like that, or is it a mutation? He is certainly a lot thinner than I had thought, not as hansom as he told me he is though.

As for the rest of the exhibition. Well Engineered Engines were everywhere. I think more engines than British Railways ever had. There were two Brittanias, as an example, BR had only one!

A small number of N gauage sets. A largish number of Gauge O steam train layouts. Both were good. I do not think that theer was one OO gauge railway though.

Boats, well boats there is in flotillas, all exceptional quality ranging from yachts, battleships, freighters, and types that you would never think of.

I accidently got into a conversation with one of the organisers. There seems a good possibility of another next year, on todays (Friday) attendance. There is an opportunity for greater aircraft representation (this being a tester) as the links with trade and orgainisation strengthen and develop. This could become a major event, with good management and a little pushing from Aeromodellers and distributors. Come on RCM&E!

As for trade stands, for us aeromodellers, there was very little, amongst a sea of metal working stands. I did buy some Swan Morton scalpel Blades and a nice turned handle for Lidl blade set (handle brokecrying 2). Any general aeromodelling/boat trade outlet could do some serious business. As good any kit retailer.

As for the numbers, I estimated about 5, 000 at any one time, by counting a row of parked cars and then the rows. If the average per car were not one but two, this would be 10,000. Only a guesstimate though.

Excellent day out, just returned and saw a lot I liked... should be even better tomorrow as a few of the stands are expecting more guys/models when they are off work etc.. LMA display was good, earnestwhile Dave Johnson running up the Vulcan to keep the lady mayoress legs warm.. decent bit of jet blast and that smell did no one any harm...

Get along and show support, I bet more halls at this venue can be used if needed next year!.. even a swapmeet...

Not into trains or boats, but I managed to wander for over an hour between then all, the workmanship is stunning, it really is..

Got an indoor electric to fly? bring it along as the BMFA have a flying area..yes

Heck my feet are aching! Taking a chair tomorrow!
Loads and loads of interest especially in the jet, seafire and my big Swift on the TMFC stand.
Andys Stuka is very cool.
LMA could do better I feel and its always nice to see actual models on the BMFA stand. Met up with a load of old mates from the NW area committee and harassed whittaker the scouser which is always fun in Manchester.
The place was packed. Somebody made loads of money today. I'm almost fed up with talking about model aeroplanes and I only did a half day!
Back tommorrow pm with something for the boy to fly!
It was a very cool day to be honest. A pity RCME can't go what with the organisers being the 'enemy' n' all.
See you tomorrow?

Andy

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 02/03/2012 18:04:05

Went today (Friday) and I must say "What a pile of poo !". If it hadn't been for the model aircraft and the model truckers they could have held it in our local village hall. The biggest area was dedicated to the catering.

I thoroughly enjoyed the effort put in by the Bury club and the LMA, who were trying to keep things professional. As were the truckers. The only model association presence was the BMFA. There was ample room for a boat pond, which I'm sure the lifeboat stand would have appreciated, as would the boat clubs who had a reasonable representation, but the biggest disapointment was the trade presence, or lack of. There was only one manufacturer / distributor exhibiting. The rest were small independant retailers whom I have seen at other, mainly boat shows, or car boot sales. There was little for the model boat fan and nothing for the model aircraft builder (not even ARTFs !!!).

As this was billed as the northern equivalent to the Model Engineer Exhibition I think they may be liable under Advertising Standards. I may be from over the other side of the hill, but I think the organisers should go and have a look at the Harrogate Show to see how it is done. It is a bigger venue (2 halls) and is packed every year with stalls and clubs. The only problem with that show is the lack of aeromodelling support, which may be due to a lack of space. There certainly isn't room for any indoor flying !

Overall it was expensive (entrance £8.00, sarni £3.50, coffee £1.80) even for a generous Yorkshireman like me ! However I did enjoy some of it, including leaving with a big smile. I am nearer 60 than 50, But I was probably the youngest visitor in there - and I wasn't wearing an anorak or flat cap !

Bet you had your Ferrets though Kevin!wink 2

There is potential for this show, that Harrogate cannot dream of. There are 3 more halls available. Yes I agree that model aeroplane trade stands were missing. I also believe ther are other clubs in the North who could exhibit. There is also the potential for static model competion. It is all about getting that critical mass, to make it work.

I do like the idea of the boating pond. I guess it is a case of vision from the organisers. The BMFA is in a position, where a suggestion from them would probably get a hearing. I guess they would take the view that their job is not to represent the aeromodeller trade, yet as a means of furthering aeromodelling trade and members interest have some common ground.

I did enjoy the show, yes it could be better, much better from a aeromodellers perspective. I do wonder if I and others should have some resolve to improve aeromodellers representation in the show.

I have seen much better from the LMA, in my opinion. The Vulcan is a crowd puller, yet I counted only 3 large models, in a very large space.

Would have loved to be able to go but unfortunately work prevents me... despite the fact that at work I am only 5 mins from the venue..

It does seem a little expensive when my only interest is aeroplanes and there is not really "that much" to see in that respect... Only LMA, BMFA and 2 clubs!!

Maybe next year will be better and I might go then.... as long as I am not working - again!!!!

Dave

cheeky