Acro Wot Foam-e chat

Rusty C

I found it was quite hard to stall and then it was quite mild. I did find that if you put in too much elevator it went a bit mental, but i've reduced the throw down to 80% and it seems a bit better now. If you think the lateral balance is out i'd suggest some lead on one of the wings to cure it.

Advert

The gears stripped in an Aileron servo the other day. These notes may be useful if it happens to you.

First, carefully prise off the white plastic servo cover, it is just held on with the white glue.:

aw-servo1.jpg

As you can see, the servo is attached to a ply former with two screws, same as for the rudder and elevator servos in the fus.

Next, remove the servo:

aw-servo2.jpg

Doh! the short lead from the servo has unplugged itself from the extension lead, which is still buried in the wing. Perhaps, with this knowledge, you may be able to tees out the extension lead to avoid the following step!

After fishing around with bits of bent wire to retrieve the extension lead with no success, I decided to cut a small 'access' hole - about 10mm square. With a pair of tweezers, you can then guide the extension lead/socket through the exit hole. There is sufficient lead length to pull the lead well clear - see next picture:-

aw-servo3.jpg

I had intended to fit a TP MG 90 servo as a replacement. It fits the mounting OK, but is too high for the plastic cover to seat back properly. So .... I replaced the Elevator and Rudder Servos with a pair of MG 90's and used the Rudder Servo as a replacement for the Aileron Servo.

After plugging the replacement servo into the extension lead, I bound the plug/socket together with twine to prevent them parting company when inside the wing.

It just remains to remount the servo and glue back the plastic cover and the foam removed for the 'access' hole - I used UHU Por in both cases.

aw-servo4.jpg

Job done - back to flying!

• 3 weeks later...

Have just completed a very successful maiden with my Acrowot(e) but what a pain to get the battery (3S 2200) fitted. I looked at the Ripmax mod for the ESC but the ESC is too long to fit where they say! I have managed to re locaqted but it takes more fiddling to fit the battery than it did to make the plane!

Why with such a well used model wsn't the forseen? Speaking with other club members (3) they have all had this problem with the Acrowatt ESC.

Come on Ripmax a little more QC would have helped.

Helidel

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 07/09/2012 07:48:39

Useful article on replacing the aileron servo on the Acro Wot foamie. I damaged mine last night (tripped and knocked the aileron, not crashed). I removed the servo, just enough so that I could get to the screws underneath and removed the top. (that way there was no danger of disconnecting the extension lead). It was obvious which gear was damaged and so I replaced the gears with some from a servo from a previous damaged (crashed this time) Wot4 foamie. Job done.

Have identified a potential problem using small, single aerial Rx's. Be careful where you place it, some of the fuselage CF reinforcements are hard to see, it is possible that they can degrade the signal to the Rx at some orientations. My A/W was wagging it's tail when banked in a turn, but rock solid when S&L, moved the Rx to relocate the wire away from the CF - problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 08/09/2012 08:05:38:

Have identified a potential problem using small, single aerial Rx's. Be careful where you place it, some of the fuselage CF reinforcements are hard to see, it is possible that they can degrade the signal to the Rx at some orientations. My A/W was wagging it's tail when banked in a turn, but rock solid when S&L, moved the Rx to relocate the wire away from the CF - problem solved.

Would that be with Spektrum/Orange equipment?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks Sparks and Ron, both very useful guidelines on the wing servo challenge. The pictures from Sparks help a lot.

A word of caution to recent owners - my 2014 version has a single very long lead for the servo, and that lead is embedded into the foam 'ribs', so extraction involves multiple surgical entries and some chancy scalpel work inside; really only allowing gear replacement or soldering in a lead plug (Sparks photo shows where to get at the embedded lead). As this is my second AcroWot I replaced the two broken gears as suggested by Ron.

It seems to me that the servos are underspecified for the stiff aileron linkages. On both my samples at least one servo has been challenged. From new, just listen to the servo 'binding' and look for the piano wire bending on 'up'. I thought that I had eased the ailerons enough, but as always you fly and you learn. I am going for brutal aileron easing this time.

On the receiving shielding issue, I eventually sussed that as the cause of both my re-kitting incidents. Happily a saucepan of hot water and 2 part epoxy helped put AcroWot 2 back together. There's not a lot of room in there and it turns out that both my primary and remote receivers were carbon shielded on a flat turn to finals (combo of body and wing carbon). Horizon UK sorted it with the suggestion of a glider remote poking from the airframe. Underneath works well.

• 1 month later...

Who is the main importer of these planes, I have had a spare fuselage on order, with a shop for over 7 months. They tell me they still have no idea what they be in receipt of any. I would like to stir the importers up myself. What abysmal after sales service.

Glyn

• 3 years later...