Acro Wot Foam-e chat

Rusty C

Advert

I'm certainly having one. 

Wot about the Xtreme Wot4? Supposed to come out a year ago, but nothing. Also wot is there a Xtra Wot, the bigger brother of the Acro Wot. I have two Xtra Wots, and both fly well, however have a spare 160 flat twin, and a 26cc petrol going spare. Would also get the Wots Wot, if it gets released.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 14/02/2012 19:44:01

After my experiences with the wot4foame and ripmax's lack of interest, I don't think I would be interested, much as I would like one.

Why does the foam one have to be smaller? 20% is hardly "slightly" smaller.

Fitting any receiver is a gamble, you make it easier for those with a matching transmitter, and harder for those without. There was many a plane my son would have liked, but they came with a Spktrum receiver, so were of no use, or at least a waste of money.

Must agree with NigelH's comments.

I'm sure this will be a best seller and probably also help sales of the original kits too. I will probably buy one; it would be nice to see a larger one for 20-30cc petrols!!!!

I don't see what everyone's worked up about with the FTR version. If you don't have a Futaba S-FHSS Tx, then buy the ARTF version!

S-FHSS does seem to be taking over; the new T8J looks mighty impressive. I know the FASST Futaba users feel that they are been left behind, but this happened in the switch from 35Mhz to 2.4, its nothing new. Just replace your TX as you would normally, in the normal timeframe and just upgrade to S-FHSS or the dual version radios. I'm sure you not all going to keep your FASST radio forever. Just wait until someone comes out with a SHF band radio in the 30-300Ghz band!!!

Steve

Yeah I fully agree Ripmax can be awful to deal with, And I fully believe the foame was a flop.

I do like to see more Chris Foss stuff coming out as artf as it helps new to the rc scene (Like me) people get air born quicker. I like the look of Chris's models, And I dont have much time on my hands at the moment.... So thumbs up from me....... Bar the rx BLUNDER

But yes I dont see why the need to reduce the size of them, Is this maybe machining or package issues?

Rusty

Posted by Rusty C on 14/02/2012 20:08:39:
Steve

Yeah I fully agree Ripmax can be awful to deal with, And I fully believe the foame was a flop.

I do like to see more Chris Foss stuff coming out as artf as it helps new to the rc scene (Like me) people get air born quicker. I like the look of Chris's models, And I dont have much time on my hands at the moment.... So thumbs up from me....... Bar the rx BLUNDER

But yes I dont see why the need to reduce the size of them, Is this maybe machining or package issues?

Rusty

Yes, it is nice to see them coming out, not so sure he would out of choice be associated with the wot4foame though.

I don't know or see a logical reason for the foam ones to be smaller, other people make bigger ones with no problem.

If the foam one was the same size, available empty at an attractive price, and we could be assured that the quality would be OK, or at least some support if it wasn't, then it would be tempting.

No I dont think he would either, imo I dont really see the point or need for the foame as its not like its a easy flying trainer really so doesn't fit its easy 30 min build up???

But hey thats enough foame bashing

It will be interesting to see how well this acro goes together and flies, as my artf wot 4 e was pretty damn good bar the c of g problems at the start, But she flies beautifully now.

Rusty

I reckon the smaller size of the foamy will be down to the battery size needed to fly it. It sounds a little big for the 3celll 2200mah battery size, but this is a popular battery in the foamy market, and designing around a popular battery size that people have, or can use in other aircraft is desirable.

I loved my wot 4 foamy, and my son got ready for his A certificate with it. Mine was great. It is now sadly deceased (probably) and I will be very tempted with the acro wot. However... If it needs 4 cells, I might buy something else.... Which kind of proves my point!

Posted by Steve W-O on 14/02/2012 19:52:11:

Quite right, just bad words on my part Steve .

I must admit, the foamy model didn't really appeal, somehow the lines haven't quite been captured to my eye.Perhaps that's just me.

As Christian says, if you don't have S-FHSS then just buy the receiver-less version and bung whatever Rx you like onboard.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 15/02/2012 07:54:47

I just built and maidened my kit Acro wot last weekend, and commented to the lads at the field, I bet they bring an ARTF version out now I built one, and lo and behold, this week they announce it.
Still, I much prefer the built up Wot 4, still going strong after 8 years including a serious crash and rebuild, so I am sure the Acro will be the same.

If the ARF flies as well as the kit, it will be a definite winner.

Darryl

Eric,

I did say, within your normal timeframe. I just happened to get a Futaba S-FHSS radio when they first came after loosing my faith with Spectrum and a few AR500 'issues'. I bought the S-FHSS version because it was cheaper and did the job.

I'd be interested to see the future supportability plan from Futaba for the <8 Ch FASST systems.

I think this FTR thing go the way of the nicer/larger Parkzone/Eflite Planes in that those who don't have the specific BNF/FTR radio will just need to buy the less expensive PNP version and use thier own RX/Tx system. That said, I'm not a real fan of these RTF options. At best I'd have an ARTF, but prefer to build my own and put my own electronics onboard.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 15/02/2012 07:54:33:
Posted by Steve W-O on 14/02/2012 19:52:11:

Quite right, just bad words on my part Steve .

I must admit, the foamy model didn't really appeal, somehow the lines haven't quite been captured to my eye.Perhaps that's just me.

As Christian says, if you don't have S-FHSS then just buy the receiver-less version and bung whatever Rx you like onboard.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 15/02/2012 07:54:47

````````````

I was more commenting on the size difference than the way it was written, maybe I should have said that the 20% was not an insignificant difference, it seems strange to make it so much smaller.
I haven't seen them, and I suppose not likely to, so have no idea how the appearance of the foam one appears.

I used to say I would never have a foam plane, now I build balsa and fly foam more often than I would if I didn't have foam.

Acrowot

This is my earlier Acrowot which met an untimely end, It has an Irvine 53 on board. I now fly an 1100 watt electric version after this model met an untimely end. It looks exctly the same except for the silencer. I was thinking of making another glow version but now it will be an ARTF.

I also fly Wot4 ARTF glow version which are great models. I think the Foam Wot 4 electric although smaller is a great little plane. There must be a dozen at our flying ground. It is a fantastic trainer, much gentler than the glow version. We also have an electric modified ARTF model that flys with a 900 watt motor. Performs very well.

Edited By Glyn R on 17/02/2012 16:53:52

Why is the foamy smaller? I suspect that it is designed to use the popular 3S 2200 series of batteries similar to the Wot 4 Foamy

I have an early MK1 Foamy and it's still going strong (albeit with a few repairs). The weakest link is possibly the U/C mounting. This can be fixed by glueing in vertically 2 one inch lengths of 1/2 in dowell using polyuirethane / grorilla glue.

The only downside I see is that Ripmax do not sell a spare shaft for the motor.

It looks like the foamy Acro Wot may be a good low wing follow on for those who learnt on the Foamy 4.

PS I also have a MK 2 kit built classic with an E-flight Power 46 on 4S.

Paul