Acro Wot Foam-e chat

Rusty C

Advert

I am looking forward to the release of these, and I will now wait to have a look before building the kit version that I had planned to build soon.

I would disagree with the "Happily, like the WOT4 ARTF also, it look as if Ripmax have kept a close eye on quality"statement tho?

My wot 4 ARTF kit was not the best quality wise and many of the fittings were of a poor standard.

These problems are well documented on this and other forums.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great idea for this model and chaps at our club are already taking about it but I will continue with my home built much abused version for now.

But then again if they put out an ARTF ExtraWot that may encourage me to go and buy....does anyone know if this is in the planning stage yet?

The FHSS ready concept is clever but is also a pain - I use FASST!

Posted by Steve W-O on 14/02/2012 19:52:11:
After my experiences with the wot4foame and ripmax's lack of interest, I don't think I would be interested, much as I would like one.
Why does the foam one have to be smaller? 20% is hardly "slightly" smaller.
Fitting any receiver is a gamble, you make it easier for those with a matching transmitter, and harder for those without. There was many a plane my son would have liked, but they came with a Spktrum receiver, so were of no use, or at least a waste of money.
Must agree with NigelH's comments.
20 per cent fits in the car assembled. I had a wot 4 foam but broke the wing. Costs a fortune to replace so no-one stocks it. Still might buy acrowot to replace it.
Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps someone can advise me on whether this is an appropriate model to buy.

I've been flying foam aileron models for two years and can do simple aerobatics (Immelman, Split-S, rolls, loops, stall turns). However the models are pushers (similar to a Multiplex EasyStar with ailerons). I'm ready to take on a sport/stunt scaleish model (foam or covered balsa) with a 3S battery that would give me flights of say 10mins+. Size-wise I'd say about 40 inch wingspan is a low-ish limit..

I had thought of the WOT 4 MkII, the ST Model MX2 and the Calmato ST EP 1400. I'm not sure about the Calmato because it uses a single servo for ailerons but from what I've seen on YouTube it flys nicely.

As for the other two, I'm concerned that these are 3D capable. I loathe 3D as it isn't flying. I want to fly like a real aircraft and stall out at slow speed, not prop hang I've seen 3D aircraft at slow speed and it looks like a motor with a plank of wood trailing behind it.

So will the WOT4 and the ST look rubbish unless the speed is very high? Thanks

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/05/2012 17:12:19

Posted by Dennis Jones on 10/05/2012 10:07:53:

I'll buy one, but it took 9 months for the wot 4 xl to get to webbys I still have a Bullet on order,since it was first shown, any idea when this one will come, nice xmas prezzy cheeky.

Dennis

Dennis, I received an email from SMC about 2 weeks about, And they told me the boat was on the water and will be in the warehouse in 4 weeks. I would think around the 26th of this month.

Looking forward to its test flight/ review

Rusty

Does anyone see my point about wanting "clean" looking flight at slow speeds? Many powerful aerobatic planes have 3D capability. I'm not experienced in this area and I like the look of the Acro WOT4 MkII but given my preferencescrook (sorry 3Ders no offence meant but not my cup of tea), can I fly it or similar in a more natural fashion? My money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Guys I really appear to have put my foot in it (pun intended) so if I'm asking the quesion in the wrong place, again some friendly redirection would be appreciated.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/05/2012 17:18:18

Dunkelmann I would say this is exactly what your looking for to fly scale aerobatics.
Also I think it would suit your flying standard fine, maybe a small step up but nothing major. Just start on nice comfortable low rates and take it easy at first.
Hope this helps.

Cannot understand all the fuss about an asterix - some people need to get a life!

(Don't bother to repsond please!)

Yes go and buy one - you will not regret it and it will be well within your capabilities if you set it on low rates and take it from there. Better still buy the kit and enjoy building it - the even greater pleasure of being able to fly it on the first sortie will be worth it! If you still want the ARTF what the h*ll!

Jon

Thanks Justin and Jon (and Chris).

I've eliminated the ST Model MX2, so now I'm waiting on seeing videos of the new Acro WOT.

In the meantime I have my Parkzone Trojan T-28 from 2 years ago. It was my first model and I wisely kept it in the cupboard until now. I've maidened it (5 min flight) and just need to wait until decent weather until I can get it set up properly.

When my local hobby store gets the Acro Wot4 II in, I'll be there to get a feel for it.

I take your point about the pleasure of building an aircraft from a kit. Although I'm using foam, I'm building a mini power glider from a Hong Kong kit (Kinetic 800). It came with foam fuselage and wings, some plastic parts and the foldable prop - very little else. I had to source the motor and work out how to mount it with a stick mount in a foam nacelle. I bought all the servos, ESC, battery, receiver etc. It caused a lot of head scratching but the sense of achievement and ownership is far more than a Parkzone out-of-the-box.

Edited By Dunkelmann on 13/05/2012 13:00:45

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone Know a release date for the ARTF Acro Wot?

I've recently moved house so my workshop facilities are much restricted and if I'm to get Any flying in this season an ARTF is Surely the way forward!

It so happens I've got an SC 70fs looking for a new home (gave Ballistic performance in a Wot 4, right up to the moment of impact) & the acro wot looks like a match made in Heaven!

Chris

Edited By David Ashby on 22/05/2012 11:33:46

I've already got a brand new 8000 DSMX rx and 5 digital servos, battery pack for it. Just need the model, now.

Not sure which engine to use, yet, probably see what I've got in stock, or look around. Likely to be a four-stroke, as Acro-Wots are ideal for 4S's.

well I went for the foam model for some stick time, But I plan to buy the balsa version soon after and plan to electrify it, That is of course the airframe is upto it ie C of G as the wotty E was a bit of a problem child smile o

Rusty

• 2 weeks later...