Reply box changes

Pete B

I come to this thread having used the search facility for "reply". I having a problem in that I can't find a 'reply' option to respond to exisitng messages within threads. I've got a 'quote' option which simply opens up a message box but doesn't contain the text of the message I want to reply to.

I'm using a Mac, running OS X v 10.6.8 (i.e its up to date) and have tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. The title of this thread made me think I would find the answer here but it seems more about link pictures and videos.

Any suggestions please?

Advert

Posted by avtur on 18/02/2012 18:59:37:

I come to this thread having used the search facility for "reply". I having a problem in that I can't find a 'reply' option to respond to exisitng messages within threads. I've got a 'quote' option which simply opens up a message box but doesn't contain the text of the message I want to reply to.

I'm using a Mac, running OS X v 10.6.8 (i.e its up to date) and have tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. The title of this thread made me think I would find the answer here but it seems more about link pictures and videos.

Any suggestions please?

Hi Avtur

I just pressed Quote under your post. It gave me the text above, as expected. Not sure what to suggest.

Posted by Chris Bott on 18/02/2012 20:59:47:

Hi Avtur

I just pressed Quote under your post. It gave me the text above, as expected. Not sure what to suggest.

Thanks, just by coincidence Firefox has upgraded this evening and (providing this post works!) then I now have a working reply function ...

I appreciate that I am a newby around here but the forum software does seem a bit 'flakey', I use a number of forums for other interests which appear somewhat more user friendly that this one ..

Avtur, what were you expecting to happen in your post at 00:57:10?

If the line down the side is what you are referring to then it's just a case of placing the cursor below it before you start to type. If you have to delete or backspace it is possible to do that so much that the cursor ends up back in the quoted area and so the sideline will continue to extend as you add new lines.

Let us know and then perhaps one of us may be able to help further.

Posted by Ian Jones on 19/02/2012 01:20:20:

If the line down the side is what you are referring to then it's just a case of placing the cursor below it before you start to type. If you have to delete or backspace it is possible to do that so much that the cursor ends up back in the quoted area and so the sideline will continue to extend as you add new lines.

OK I think this is what I was expecting, the original message has the line down the left hand side, and my response sits below it ... hopefully this is how this shows up ...

Posted by avtur on 19/02/2012 02:31:21:
Posted by Ian Jones on 19/02/2012 01:20:20:

OK I think this is what I was expecting, the original message has the line down the left hand side, and my response sits below it ... hopefully this is how this shows up ...

That it. Pleased to have helped.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 21/02/2012 08:05:21:

I can't insert hyperlinks, I just get the foggy main window but no inserted hyperlink window. I use Google Chrome.

Thats what I got when I first tried it in Chrome, then after that first time, it all worked fine.

I've even tried emptying my cache, etc but can't get it to repeat. Rather unusual.

• 2 months later...

There has been another change recently by the looks of it. With one browser that used to work well, I now get a tiny box a few words wide, and no control buttons. Also the link button brings up a screen which has nowhere to put the words that will be clicked to go to the link.