Reply box changes

Pete B

Blimey, a bit of a shambles at the mo. Hope it can all be sorted soon.

Almost nothing works for me in chrome or firefox so have resorted to IE to do this. (my least favorite browser).

quote, and pictures seem to work in ie but not in the other browsers

I trust it will all come good as the guys sort it out.

Both pics are from modelflying album. Large one was done by working out the photo URL and using that...  Then I changed the dimensions in the dimension boxes. looks good in preview, but something else seems to be overriding that in the actual thread.

Edited By Chris Bott on 16/02/2012 16:30:53

Edited By Chris Bott on 16/02/2012 16:32:07

Advert

Those unsharp images are IMHO, patently not OK, Steve. Under the former system, images from the forum album appeared sharp and much of the time, the pic as posted was fine for viewing. If one wanted more detail, clicking on the pic brought up a larger image, the better to view detail.

If this stays as it is (and I'm sure the techies will be working on it as I speak), reading posts with a number of pics is going to be very tedious.

I would be very disappointed if the software on this forum is being shifted in favour of those using hand-held devices..........

Pete

The photo issue is a serious one for me. All the photos I use on this forum are uploaded to an album first and the reason I visited now was to post a couple. I haven't done so and can't see any point in it; the displayed images make my photos look even worse than they are.disgust

The example of a photo from an album shown below when viewed full size shows Ali's cub in good focus and Alex Whittaker as a bit blurry smile but this reduced size image is poor even at this size, which is less than useful.

If you want to make a comparison, this is the album image.

I don't mind the new look too much but please can the album problem be sorted.

Edit after initial submission:

ideaAh! Interesting and explains a lot. As in previous postings clicking on the image in the post itself opens the full size image.

It seems then that editor is intentionally set to display images (the album ones at least) as reduced quality thumbnails. It's a compromise between getting the page displayed and image quality, the idea being that you can then choose which images you want to take the time to load and view full size. This reduces loading time and for anyone on dial-up must be an advantage as that is the technology that methodology was designed for. I suspect that a tweak in the thumbnail settings for the editor can re-establish the previous editor's image size and quality (would be nice if portrait orientated images didn't get squaused though).

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/02/2012 19:54:22

Here's what happened to me this evening! This is my frustrated entry on my Airspeed Courier build blog.....

"Sorry guys spent ages trying to write up this post tonight with photos but although I've loaded them into my albums every time I try to insert them here the page just greys out and freezes and the only way out is to shut down and start again.

Hopefully this will be resolved by the techies soon and we can continue but if this is a product of making the site more 'hand held device' friendly that will be at the cost to most of the users! Here's hoping that it is just a glitch to be sorted out.

Terry"

I really hope that this isn't permanent because it will mean a significant reduction in the value of and the ease of use of the forum for most of us. Let's see what tomorrow brings. I say this with great faith because when I was in the UK and moved house BT agreed a date to move the Broadband. It didn't work that evening. When I then spoke to the nice lady in India about my problem she told me that I should go to bed and in the morning it would work. When I pointed out that the engineeers were now off duty and that nothing would change she insisted that, whilst she didn't understand it, it would work and I shouldn't worry.

In the morning it didn't work..............................

Terry

Posted by Ian Jones on 16/02/2012 19:39:35:

I suspect that a tweak in the thumbnail settings for the editor can re-establish the previous editor's image size and quality (would be nice if portrait orientated images didn't get squaused though).

I would certainly support Ian in this request. I'd also like the issue of not being able to cut/copy/paste using a mouse to be fixed, otherwise posting anything here is going to become very tedious and time-consuming..............

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 16/02/2012 20:21:42

attention young ashers and co...i cannot now add an image from my albums as before(i used to click on the icon)and chose an image from my albums and add it to the post-now i cant-kapoot....if its changed for good - how can i/we add our images when needed?.....

ken anderson...ne..1 images/not dept.... angry...plus the emotions are crepe.....

It's about time this post form was updated! The old one really struggled in Chrome. I often got CSS rubbish inserted in when moving text around on the form. Very annoying having to clear it up everytime it did it. However...

Adding links and youtube videos is broken in Chrome

New smilies look rubbish - aren't clear what they are.

Also if your web designers are fixing stuff - could they fix the ads on the right hand side! If you right click (or middle click) and open in a new window/tab, you get the same modelflying.co.uk page again - not the ad. I often see things I like on the side and want to click on them to bring it up in a new window. Tell your web developers that they "need to put the ad link into href, rather than using a javascript onclick event to change the page href"!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by Chris Bott on 17/02/2012 09:47:59:

Just updated Firefox to 10.0.2 but still just get a greyed out whole window if I try to use the insert picture or link buttons.

Same effect in Chrome for me.

Still the same for me too!

I changed to Firefox because of the problems with IE9 - come on guys! Its a real backwards step at the moment but I have faith in you to restore the system to a usable level.

Terry