Newbies

Clarky

Hi Malcolm thanks for that, I will give it a go. There is no sign of leaking oil etc just a blackened stain as though the exhaust parts are vibrating against each other. I will try and re-create the problem on the ground, and if succesful will perhaps leave the vents open on the tank ie no pressure, for the level engine test bed this should prove my hypothesis. Any body else have any experience with a lack of back pressure??

Advert

danny - have you checked that the clunk is still attached and free to move under gravity?

I once had this sort of problem and eventually traced it to a feed pipe which had "come adrift" leaving only the short metal feed pipe going into the taank. Engine ran fine until the fuel reached this level which could be sooner if the plane was climbing. A "nose up" check with the engine running might reveal this. The problem can also be caused by the clunk becoming trapped in a forward facing position after a less than smooth landing.

Hi Malcolm, thanks for your thoughts unfortunately the clunk is fine and feeds with tank in all attitudes, also the pressure and fill pipes are notched and clear of the top of the tank. The first thing I did was pull the tank to make sure I was actually feeding the carb with the clunk line (we have all done it LOLOL)The engine draws fuel and stays sweet with the nose vertical for a good thirty seconds. I had a nagging feeling the failsafe was perhaps causing the engine to throttle back as I have the PCM configured for no change on all channels on loss of signal except throttle which is set to drop to idle, as maybe, just co-incidence it seems the throttle cuts all occured in the same area of the field, perhaps a glitch? alas it was not this. I will try the standard pipe as opposed to the quiet pipe. I get the feeling that the tank is not getting pressure as quick as the fuel is being drawn but that should show up on a bench run. The tank by the way is a 10oz and should keep the engine running for 20 minutes if not longer. If the neighbours are out tomorrow lunchtime I may have a play.

Hi Danny - Just a couple of questions for you to think about - you mention that it occurs in the same area of the field each time? could it be radio interference? Have you checked with other club members if they have experienced anything simular in the same area? Are there any mobile phone masts near by that might cause it? or ither source of interference? Is it worth having your tx and rx checked over?

Antony thanks for your comments, the reason it isn't interference is because the failsafe is set to do certain things should a glitch occur and I remember setting it to leave all controls in the same position ie HOLD until the signal was strong again. Anyway due to an error on my part I had reconfigured the throttle whilst setting up the buddy box to HOLD so if it had a glitch the throttle would hold rather than move to idle. I have changed it to idle on interference again now. No towers or anythin in that area, and no others having trouble. I think it is fuel feed issues, either insufficient pipe pressure or pipe diameters, I will try and run it on the bench soon.
Cheers

Hi All, sorry it's been a while. Just catching up. Just thought I would let you all know I've finally got up up and away!!!! I got back from my first flight a couple of hours ago. Fantastic experience. I really did feel a sense of achievement when the rising star first lifted off the floor. My trainer a young 16 year old wizard with the sticks was very helpful, thorough and generous with his time. I done plenty of circling in both directions and a few figure of eights. He had to gain control a few times, I was a bit too heavy handed a once or twice and sent the plane into a steep climb, ooopppsss but other than that I had a good flight. I am so pleased that Ive finally got going. My reason for little posting recently is because of decorating and the dreaded work, I have lots to do as me and my wife are expecting a baby in august. I wonder how old they will be before I pass them a TX :-)

Anyway if anyone has any questions re my experience feel free to ask. I hope your all well chaps, enjoy your weekend !! Clarky

Hi Clarky - I thought you had deserted us :) Good job on your first flight - your quite right there is no feeling quite like it.
As for your baby - if she/he is anything like my granddaughter Id say just after a year old. Megan is already playing with the tx attached to my pc using the simulator. Ok she just pushes the sticks up and down but she has managed to get it off the ground unaided - but then immeadiately shuts down the throttle and crashes - hehe.

Oh I meant to mention - that time problem - I know what you mean. We are in the middle of preparations for my son's wedding in a month's time. So time for building has already disappeared and time for flying is getting harder to fly as I found out yesterday - I had to cancel my flying arrangements :(

Hi Anthony, not at all my friend, I'm very passionate, its just getting the time. People like you and the rest of the people who joined this thread are what makes the site so cool. I hope your sons wedding goes really well, weddings are great, I married two years ago and havent looked back, very happy. Have a fantastic time, catch up soon. Clarky

Hello everyone, been away with the "w" word for a couple of weeks.......Bad news guys, took my model up and minutes later was baggin it up!!! Yep Had engine failure and lost control...was a spectacular crash mind!! Gonna get another model next week as i must conquer this fixed wing flying,!!! Took my helis out last night and they came back in one piece!! Anyway happy and safe flying this weekend to you all. Spence.By the way i know this isnt a site for marriage guidance BUT i get hitched on Aug 3rd this year!!!!

Hi Chaps well this thread seems to have dropped of a bit with our antics so I thought I would mention my day.
As you may know I have had nothing but trouble with my J'EN 57 with it cutting, I would get in a few circuits, boxes and figures of eight and the bloomin engine would cut, all deadstick landings were taken care of by the instructor (Thanks Chris) I reverted back to an engine nearly thirty years old and the Wot 4 landed today with the engine still running - a first, and the best bit was it was my first landing in 25 years, a nice landing too, well until it hit a hump in the field and I then had to do another nice landing, two for the price of one! anyway my instructor hasn't landed it yet with the motor running, just me, quite ironic LOL
Anyway my first landing felt brilliant, and I drove home with a big grin. It was exactly as the simulator except the buffeting was much worse.

Danny, its hearing things like this that make the thread and website worthwhile,glad it all went to plan and i bet you cant wait for the next flight,i think the moral of this story is that as a begginer we need instructors to help us out, so a BIG shout out to those who help us "newbies" get in the air....cheers chaps.Spence.

Hi all !!
Spence, good luck for August 3rd, have a cracking day, perhaps one of us could do a fly by !!! Just kidding mate LOL
WOW Anthony, 26 years, now that's an achievement, pleased to hear you are still happy mate. Oh and Danny, I bet your over the moon, superb to hear the WOT 4 came down under controlled power, problem solved.

I'm off work this week, going down to teh club tomorrow to see if there is anyone there to get me up and away again, wish me luck. Catch up soon chaps,
Clarky

Thanks Clarky, and Spence, you are right without the time that these instructors give up we couldn't achieve the success that we do as quickly and relatively painlessly. I guess the best way to pay the clubs and members back for all their time is to get good enough to instruct, and put back what we have taken.
Another succesful evenings flying tonight, did a few take offs landings and circuits. A bit of aerobatics, including some inverted LOL. All the landings unfortunately were dead stick, flying through a setting sun, but all were greasers right in front of me. The Wot4 really is a very good plane to learn with, it will glide forever. I was very pleased that the hours on the simulator have paid off. My instructor said I would have no trouble with the "A" and has suggested I do it this weekend if we can co-ordinate with an examiner. So fingers crossed chaps :)

Im missing flying :(
Unfortunately these wedding preparations are taking a hugh amount of my time at the moment. We have a rehersal for it on Saturday so no flying again for me this weekend :(
Maybe I will get lucky during the week and find my instructor is free on what appears to be my only free day next week :)

Hi Danny thanks for the support. The cub - like most other things at the moment has had to be shelved. We are about to reorganise our living space as we have several guests arriving in a few days to stay over for the wedding - all looking for somewhere to rest their heads. Still as you say it wont be long now and then we can hopefully get back to normal. Though if my instructor does happen to be free on the day I am not booked up next week - my plane is readily accesible :)

Hi folks. Good news! I passed my bronze saa test (equivilant to english A test) It was a special training day at my club where the senior membors of the saa came to instruct begginers and test those who are ready for the bronze silver and gold levels. I asked an instructor if he could watch me do my bronze routine and give me some pointers and advice. So I fueled up and ran through the standard procedures and flew the routine. afterwards he asked me a few questions, shook my hand and said that I had passed! I wasnt expecting that!

He said to me that its best to test people when they do not realise that they are being tested. It certainely worked for me, It meant that I wasnt nervous at all!

Way to go Angus,
My exam was quite the opposite, a VERY nervous affair. When the time came the entire field ceased flying and all took up seats to watch LOL, no pressure. It was a disaster, three dead sticks interrupted every part of the routine, but I landed them all right in front of me. The final straw was the pipe coming off! I told the examiner on the grounds of safety I was terminating the flight and I would have to try again another day. I landed safely again and as I walked back I thanked him for his time and patience with my problems. To my astonishment he said I should not be so hasty, and then went through post flight checks, and then questions on the BMFA saftey manual, he then shook my hand and said I passed. He said you can obvously fly, and the pressures of a 20+ modelling audience plus deadsticks and exhaust failure proved to me you are safe and competent. Pete, I thank you for applying the rules fairly and reasonably, after all the bottom line is safety.
So Angus both of us on the same day, way to go!
The best bit was the next flight, when you guys get your "A's" and Bronzes (North of the border) you will know exactly what I mean :)

Perhaps the week after LOL
I guess some of the other guys were pretty impressed with my multiple deadstick landings, Chris (thanks, you mad trusting soul) realising I had passed the "A" but now had a dead Wot 4 (because of the exhaust) and knew I was itching to fly again, let me fly his electric Formosa F3A! That first flight not restrained by having a watchful eye was fantastic :)

hi all
i am new to all this been reading your thread and i too have the arising star seems a good trainer and one of the best i have been told.
well done to all who have passed their a's and bronze tests.
i hope to make my first flight this week after joining my local club today have just read the up and away book off the bmfa. i just cant wait it like christmas eve

Welcome to the gang Andrew :) Be warned this is a very infectous hobby, a month ago I had 1 model, I know have 3 and a 4th on order LOL. So don't be surprised if your Arising Star soon has company in the hangar!
My best bit of advice? get a cheap as chips PlaneMaster flight sim (£20) and don't be satisfied until you can land the trainer on the centreline of the runway every time, no matter the wind strength or direction. Let us know how you get on with that first flight