Not seen for 70 years!

Richard Harris

Not really rc related but something I found at work today.

Over the last 6 months where I work has got increasing worse and we have had an ongoing spell of job loses. 2 months ago it all went bankrupt and has now been taken over by an American investment company. What was once the biggest Carpet manufacturing plant in the world is being split up. A 200 year family run buisness is now having all its assets sold, which includes the flying field I have been a member of for many years.

Anyway, our oldest listed building was emptied just before Christmas so it can be sold on.

Today I had the task of closing off/ emptying all water supplies and the decommissioning  of all gas appliances and fire systems. This meant going through every part of the building with a fine toothed comb.

I came across a small built in cupboard in what was the directors office as I was tracing pipe work back to try and find an isolation point. Inside one of the cupboards was a small set of ladders leading to a very small cavity.

Me being me investigated (OK nosey) came across several packages wrapped up in brown paper tied with string and very dusty.

A few of these were put in the van and taken back to our newer (in use for the time being) factory.

After opening these packages I was really surprised to what I found, all were dating from the war between 1939/ 1940.

The then director of the company had got involved in the air defence cadet programme and started what was 159 defence Cadet squadron.

I have only briefly gone through some of it but there must be 300 letters from youngsters. Confirmation of donations from around the midlands etc etc

Even a donation from a model magazine dated 1940!

Here are just a few pictures of what I have taken so far, they may or may not be of interest but I was engrossed for an hour whilst I was reading through some of it.

During the war effort like so many companies at the time mine manufactured many different things.

To my my amazement I have also found plans in the same place for what I believe is an Anti Aircraft gun that they made during the war. The plans again date from 1939 and are an Ordnance QF SA 4.5 inch

I will sift through the stuff and will take photos of things as I go through it if anyone is interested.

But what could be done with it? It is a part of History and would be criminal to tip it.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 06/03/2012 20:47:59

Advert

We do have a very small local carpet museum but not sure this will be of interest or not, I will return to the site tomorrow as there were a few more of these packages.

I briefly went through this one today and there were letters, telegrams (never seen one of those before). Receipts for the clothing for the cadets, badges etc. Confirmation of aircraft parts available for training purposes. Letters from the likes of Rolls Royce, Vicors Armstrong just to name a few. It is all in chronological order and starts to tell a kind of story of how it all unfolds. The last letters I read today stated that the group had to be froze due to the training officers being called up and the director of the company having a bad case of gout in his joints.

The unfortunate thing was I had only read about half of the latest RCME, it kind of felt strange setting eyes on something that may not have been seen for 70 years.

Rich

Alan,

We have been told to tip everything that is left, the new owners are not interested in the History/us or the future of what was the worlds best at what we do. There only aim is to get back their money and make as much as they can.

That makes me a thief I guess but after seeing those thugs in Libya this week desigrate those grave stones of fallen ones I will keep this stuff and move it on to where others can see it. i am sure my boss will agree t me having it anyway as he knows what I am into.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 06/03/2012 21:32:46

Great find Richard , I am sorry to hear of your misfortune as well as all your work mates , It makes me sick that all this economic mess is caused by greedy banks and now it's the turn of greedy asset strippers , money has neither heart nor compassion for those that truly create the wealth ,it's all ways the the hard working people that struggle to make ends meet that suffer there greed

Yes, Brinton's

I will try and contact the above, all great ideas. But first I must read and sharesmile

David,

Just a sign of the times unfortunately, have had to hault a few projects due to all this looming over my head (no pun intended). Its just the 'not knowing' that is the worst part, we are all just numbers at the moment.

Pete,

No interestingly their main line during the war produced Gerry cans and parts for transportable bridges.

I was talking to one of my work mates and he said another local firm produced the brass shell cartridges as they had capstan lathes. At the start of the war they were machined from one rather than being pressed and peined together.

Rich

That's a good idea Chris,

Good excuse to get up there, I have not yet seen the new hanger yet, it was being built on my last visit. There is one letter from Cosford written by the commanding officer at the time refering to some sort of training, I believe there was an RAF site just up the road from me that my nan used to work at. I can remember as a kid a Meteor being sat outside on display when we used to pick her up so it must of carried on well into the late 70's at Hartlebury.

Rich

yes that was 25 maintainence unit headquarters site,there were i think ,another six around the local area some are now trading estates including the one above which is now hartlebury trading estate, and a couple are in private hands.There used to be a sea vixen on the front green in the late seventies as i remember, but i might be wrong.

Good idea Terry.

A lovely find Richard and, yes, something for a museum, perhaps even RAF Hendon? I'm not surprised the liquidatators aren't interested but it's wise heads that preserve heritage like this in these situations (when blood is rushing to heads), so well done.

Those letters struck me, works of art compared to toady's communications. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned but I do wonder if we miss a tiny something where their demise is concerned.

Edited By David Ashby on 07/03/2012 07:00:53

OK, a few idea's richard:

1) The local museums including any regimental museums nearby

2) Local Air Cadet units, who may have unit histories and be able to tell you if there are any decendant units

3) The IWM

4) The RAF Historical Society

5) The RAF Cadet Officer for the area - Local Air Cadets might direct you this way anyway

6) Scan/Photograph everything you can - the electronic copies are incredably useful to researchers!

Olly

As a bit of a family historian these are the sort of family memorabilia that I would be delighted to have. I have my dads diary and letters from his time in the RAF and its a real treasure now he`s gone.I f you could locate them, I`m sure the guy in questions family would be overjoyed if you could send them some copies of the documents.