Hitec's HPP22 Interface for Firmware Upgrade

Harry Wilson

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of using this interface for Tx and Rx Firmware upgrades.

I've recently purchased an Optic 6 and am very happy with it but can't really tell which firmware versions I'm running. This makes a difference for example because the scan mode of operation changed at some point and I'm not sure if normal and scan modes still exist at Version 3 of the Tx 2.4 GHz module - all very confusing.

You might assume that buying a new product might mean you automatically get the latest firmware but I'm not so sure...I seem to have normal and scan modes in practice.

Any advice would be welcome on this.

Harry Wilson

Edited By Harry Wilson on 27/03/2012 11:29:19

Advert

The aurora 9 tells you which firmware version is on the transmitter in its screens, but not the module version. Maybe the Optic 6 tells you which firmware version is in the transmitter in a menu option somewhere?

The only other way would be to connect the HPP-22 to your transmitter (and 2.4GHz module) and it will tell you what your current version is, and if you wanted to update it.

In regards to the scan mode, all versions of firmware have it - HOWEVER different versions work in different ways.

Old firmware version - Scan mode would hop over the complete frequency band while flying your model.

New firmware version - Scan mode is now more of a re-tune mode. It will search the band for the clearest points and then use those frequencies for flying with. You will need to rebind all your receivers after doing so. You can't fly when the module is doing a re-tune and it takes a couple of seconds to complete - after which you must remember to rebind all your receivers (I can't highlight this part enough).

Hope this helps.

Si.

I'll also add that you probably don't have the latest version of firmware. Speaking to my LMS, the Optic 6 and Eclipse 7 aren't hot sellers (compared to the Spektrum range) - and it would be likely that they could have been sitting on the shelf a couple of months. As the module update was only released around 6 months ago (short time in RC world) - its likely that the transmitter was manufactured almost a year ago.

Si.

Hello Simon,

Thanks for this. There is nothing in the menus for the Optic 6 so I think I will just need to buy and use the HPP22 interface and see what happens. I suspect you are right i.e. the software is not up to date. Hopefully in the meantime there will be no ill effects associated with using the old software. My main concern was that I might be confronted with a whole load of software issues trying to make the interface work. The instructions I down-loaded from Hitec seem clear enough...fingers crossed.

Harry

Posted by Harry Wilson on 27/03/2012 11:28:29:

Hi, Does anyone have any experience of using this interface for Tx and Rx Firmware upgrades.I've recently purchased an Optic 6 and am very happy with it but can't really tell which firmware versions I'm running. This makes a difference for example because the scan mode of operation changed at some point and I'm not sure if normal and scan modes still exist at Version 3 of the Tx 2.4 GHz module - all very confusing.You might assume that buying a new product might mean you automatically get the latest firmware but I'm not so sure...I seem to have normal and scan modes in practice.Any advice would be welcome on this. Harry Wilson Edited By Harry Wilson on 27/03/2012 11:29:19

The Eclipse 7 & Optic 6 systems have both been out for a very long time and have always represented very good value for the $, this has been enhanced with the advent of the 2.4Ghz versions. Please note that there are two different places to locate firmware version

1. The firmware version of the Tx, with the Optic 6 hold down the top left buttons whilst switching on and scroll through to "VER". This is separate and cannot be updated by user.

2. The firmware version of the AFHSS 2.4Ghz Spectra Module, this can only be located only by using the HPP-22 interface to PC, refer to: Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).
The Interface unit is required for easy setting of failsafe etc and also required to obtain, exluding RX LBW which is via the separate alarm built into the module, the telemetry from your transceivers unless an HTS-Navi is to be used.

Much more information available under

Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts and

Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features will also assist

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Edited By A.T. on 28/03/2012 03:42:03

• 5 years later...

Jut coming back to this topic - I have had a module in the Optic 6 for about five years but never used it. I have just bought an Optima 6 Rx but cannot get them to bind. Tx flashes ok but cannot the Rx to flash blue - just a steady red light. Is it likely that Firmware is different and they won't communicate? Ordered an HPP 22 to check and update but just wondered if I am doing something wrong. Stetting up manually at present out of the aircraft but no joy.

Mike, just on binding, by definition, you have to be near the Tx and RX but you can be too close

So hold the Tx as far away as you can

The power supply has to be fully charged obviously, in both

Connect up the RX first, and allow it to settle in non bind

With the bind plug in the bind socket and the power supply immediately next to this

Then switch on the Tx in bind mode some distance from the RX

Then cross your fingers

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/07/2017 08:12:42

Denis, that might be true for Spektrum systems which use a bind plug, on a Hitec video you start the Tx in bind mode first and then power up the Rx with the bind button depressed. My Multiplex is similar and you have to keep the Tx very close to the Rx during binding, also it doesn't matter which is powered up first as long as they are in bind mode.

Good Morning Mike. If memory serves me right. Both batteries in good charge first switch on Tx with the button held down in the module next switch on Tx with button held down as well some times the lights will flash Tx about 5 ft away switch off Rx and the Tx. Switch on Tx and then Rx all should be linked It is easier to have a separate battery on Rx instead of trying to switch on whilst linked to the ESC

Now getting seriously hacked off - received HPP 22 and plugged in and I just get message on laptop software that Tx not connected. Tried all sorts of combination of connections and button pressing............

Just to review I have an old ish Spectra module in a 35 Mhz Optic 6 It doesn't have jack connection but the old DIN socket.

I understood that you could plug the HPP 22 into back of module with servo lead? Do I need to upload old versions of HPP 22 software as the Spectra module and Optic 6 are not even listed in the drop down menus of the software I have dwonload from Hitec site - am i doing something wrong. Have cehcked You Tube but all seem to relate to the Aurora Tx not the Optic 6.............................heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please .......................................Ken..................lol Only other option would be to make up a connection for my trainer lead into the Hitec jack connector but didn't think this would be necessary?

Many thanks

Mike

Edited By Mike Stevens on 20/07/2017 18:05:13

I have been using a 35 Mhz Eclipse 7 with the SPECTRA module for years and it's been faultless, the two Tx's are pretty much stablemates. I also have some OPTIMA 6 Rxs and they have been excellent too. I take it you must have found the servo lead type connector on the module as you have updated it.

Some good news, you do not have to upgrade your OPTIMA 6 firmware. The reason you do not have to upgrade the firmware is simply that unlike the other OPTIMA Rxs, the OPTIMA 6 cannot and does need to be upgraded.

The bad news then is that your problem must be somewhere else. Hitec's instructions may be to blame, they try to be thorough but sometimes they are just confusing, so I'll try and help if I can. (You may recall that I criticised this in an article in RCM&E re the ECLIPSE 7 Pro some years ago).

I do recall (as Ken mentions earlier) that sometimes it can appear not to have bound, especially as in the right conditions it happens extremely quickly, so quick that it's bound before you have chance to check if the appropriate LEDs have illuminated.

So, first thing, do you have any servos connected? If not I suggest you connect at least one then go through the binding process, if it responds to your transmitter inputs after that then it's bound, there's no halfway house, either it is bound or it isn't.

Let's take another look at those Tx LEDs though.

• When you hold the bind button on your Tx and switch it on and release the bind button, the red LED should flash on it's own, if it's a blue LED flashing on it's own then with the transmitter still switched on press the bind button again, for 2 seconds and the red LED should then illuminate on it's own.
  • If the blue LED on the module continues to flash, did you hear two beeps before you released the bind button? If so then you held the bind button in for too long and the transmitter has gone into scan mode, you might want that but whether you do or not this will mean the Rx will need rebinding.
  • If both the red and blue LEDs are flashing together then you are not in the binding process, just at the moment I can't think of anytime that should happen, however check carefully, are they really flashing together or is there some "bleed through" from the adjacent LED making it appear as if they both flashing?
  • If you have a steady red LED and a flashing blue LED on the Tx module then it has bound, perhaps as I suggested earlier, quicker than you may have expected.

Rx LEDs

• When you power on the Rx (after the Tx as above) quickly release the bind button after a short time both BLUE & RED LEDs should glow l steady.
  • At this stage do not try and make any inputs, IIRC you will be disappointed to find nothing happens - this is because the process is not finished...
  • ... switch off the Rx then the Tx.

Anyway that should do it, so Tx on first as usual, then Rx , the RED LED on the Tx module and the red LED on the Rx should glow steady in normal status. I don't recall if these are different in scan mode. Check to see if inputs drive the servo(s).

Hope there's some help in there somewhere, if not I confess I'd be struggling but shout up anyway, there may be something lost in the old grey matter that still has to be triggered by the right question disgust.

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/07/2017 14:44:22

Dear Ian

Many thanks for your extensive and detailed response.. I have printed a copy and will persevere. Just wondered if I might have a dodgy Rx.

When i bind, I get steady red light on Tx. I have been using a servo in the Rx. When I press the bind button on Rx I get flashing blue light on Tx along with steady red. THe Rx lights up red and I get a very brief flash of blue when plugging power in - I have been plugging Rx battery into mthe receiver so would I be better using a switch to power it up.? definitely not bound though as no response to Tx controls.

Will let you know how it goes.
again - many thanks.

Annoying thing is that I have another Optima Rx somewhere that came when I bought to module but can' for ewwth lif e of me find it.

Hi Ian

So it appears that the Tx side of things is fine just can't get a blue light on the Rx along with the red LED apart from a very brief flash. I will try adding a switch into the process to see if that is an issue. If I have the Tx in bound mode and then un-plug power to the Rx and plug power in again i get a a reaction from the servo in that it moves very slightly but stick inputs have no effect at all. If, with a switch in the circuit there is no change then can only assume faulty Rx - also noticed that if power left on to the Rx it does become warm to the touch?

Edited By Mike Stevens on 22/07/2017 06:49:49