Flying Motor Bike

Richard Harris

Advert

I saw this in the news a couple of days ago, just after the bigger 4 wheel version was approved for flying.

They are interesting, but i don't see how they can be called the future of transport, getting them to and from a runway where you would be allowed to take off would probably take longer than just driving between the two points.

In countries that have the space, both on the ground and in the air, you may as well use cars and a plane.

I think maiden means the first flight made public, not the first flight of the machine!

The engineering in this one is certainly very innovative, almost the ultimate gadget for the person who had everything until this came along.

I like it!. A clever combination of tricycle and gyrocopter. IT also gets over the old problem of the coversion to flight configuration which normally means getting out of the the vehicle and even having to leave the wings behind.

Should be able to operate from any grass strip so airfields not too hard to find.

Cost? If you have to ask you won't be able to afford it.

I wouldn't mind the trike without the rotors myself.

steve w-o

as peter miller said there are many farm strips all around the uk i'm pretty sure that there are atleast 5 within a 20 mile radius of myself not including the three main airstrips: southampton, lee-on-the-solent and goodward.

i can see it may have a huge potential, although airlaws will become even more heavily regulated if many more people take to the skies as a main mode of transport. and at the moment it is an expensive way to travel. not only have you got the purchase of the aircraft, you then have to gain a license, plus your annual field fees, then your hourly regulated airworthiness cert and fuel and insurance. its not a wonder why soo many people take to sharing aircraft. with this new gryocopter/car you will then have to have an MOT plus road tax and car insurance ontop of it (unless you can get it all under one policy). and it doesn't look too much of a family vehicle so i would assume you would still need the car sitting on the drive at home.

good idea but i don't think it will catch on too much...