Laser cut dummy 7 Cylinder Radial Engine

Thought this might prove interesting. I needed to find a 7 cylinder radial engine for one of my current projects an AM62 Zero from the World Models Giant Scale series that is undergoing some scale improvements. With nothing turning up I decided to have a crack at designing my own wooden laser cut kit by draughting up a reasonable attempt in 2mm litply and 6mm balsa components that could be just glued together. I am rather pleased with the end result and it just shows what is possible with a bit of latteral thinking.

CNC Radial

Linds

Advert

Thanks Steve, not sure I will have space for two, but as you say would be nice.

Radial kit

This is how my laser kit of parts looked when returned from SLEC although I did sort out the bits into individual bags.

Radial in primer

In its primer coat with a bit of detail added, shows the dpeth a little better. I'll make up plugs and leads and a brass central ring next before fixing in the cowl.

Linds

but seriously, lovely job, would there be any chance of a kit from slec? i think there should be quite a market for this type of thing, for instance, i want a quarter scale engine for my P26 Peashooter, i could make it out of flimsy williams cylinders, but the cost is horrific, might be worth pursuing??

Hi Tim, absolutely yes, I am working on several vesions, a 7 cylinder and 9 cylinder in 1/6, 1/5 and 1/4 scales. The drawing cab be scaled but you need to make some adjustments to maintain material thicknesses and clearances. I have not weighed the item but they are pretty light. Will hopefully have few around in a few weeks or so.

Fitted radial

Meanwhile here is a pic of the unit fitted into the zero, as so often i needed to loose a cylinder, and before anyone comments on the prop being a bit small, i keep hold of the odd one or two cut them down and use them to help align cowls, spinners etc.

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 08/04/2012 21:36:33