Aviation Disasters

Steve W-O

Aviation Disasters, by David Gero.

I had anther on that described a lot od near misses, can't remember the name, both ideal whilst waiting for the unexplained delay.

A copy of How to Stop Worrying and Star Living by Dale Carnigie may be worth taking along as well

I don't want to sound grim, but if one is an aviation entusiast and goes around the shows then the chances are you may have witnessed some tragic events. There is nothing more stomach churning that seeing it happen in front of you; the Mosquito at Barton and Spitfire at Woodford spring to mind in years gone by. And the DC4 in Stockport before that, I saw that probably 1 minute before it crashed in the centre of town..

Also, I worked at Dulles Airport, Washington DC, on 9/11 ... the departure point of American flight 77 which collided a short time later with the Pentagon... living in the USA and working in aviation that was a very strange time ...

(sorry slightly off topic ...)

Edited By avtur on 16/04/2012 18:35:55

Was this the RR spit? I worked at hucknall RR and the wreckage was kept in a small building on the hard standing.

The guys looking after the current spit allowed me in to see the airframe and there was not a lot left in all honesty.

The rebuild will use some smaller components and the majority of the wing but other than that the it will be mainly the registration that is original.

It was quite chilling to see the wreckage and on entering the building there was a very odd atmospheresurprise

I saw the DC4 flying over Stockport when I was a lad.. My father was painting at front of the house and she flew by not sounding at all well.. We later drove close by the accident scene, however I did not fully get to visit Carr Brow for a number of years under my own steam...

Was working at Manchester when the Airtours B737 had the engine fire departing to CFU.

We were close by the fire station airside and saw passengers leaving down the front stairs.. We had no idea the fire was so significant and the loss of life would be high.. The next day we saw the B737 in the hangar.. quite an eeerie sight to see the melted aluminium, the rear fuselage was just hanging, twisted to one side.. like an airfix that had been near a hot fire.. RIP.

On a lighter note.... Still remember the Aluminium works (Unimetal) in Manchester (Failsworth) where countless Fireflies, Provosts, Shackletons and the record breaking Supermarine Swift met their demise... The Swift was lying on a pile of slates beside a building with her wings behind her......

The USA would not all such historical a/c to be scraped.... Having said that, just what did they do to the Nimrods at Woodford.. .

You Tube has some fantastic footage of bygone times in aviaition.. for me I miss the CV990, CV880, B707.. The DC8... Smokey joes.. the smell of Avgas on apron and piston power... not forgetting the Whine on the Tyne on the fantastic Vanguard! wink 2

If it ain't Boeing... I ain't Going...

Edited By Area 51 on 16/04/2012 20:41:53

i used to play in the unimetal yard at failsworth, all the gear there got auctioned off, Nick Grace bought all the fireflys, there is one in the manchester air and space museum, i workd hard and long to remove a rocker cover from the griffon in one, and i went and swapped it for a load of cigaret cards, the wings behind the swift where not off the swift, this reord breaker is currently held by a museum, and is still owned by the yard owners, northeast museum where lent it, the lease has run out, where it is now i dont know, a lot of the stuff there went to collectors, a lot went to the scrappy, a lot is still there, buried in the soil of what is now a country park, also there, and scrapped, where about a dozen queen mary plane transport trailers, in the disued sheds where a seafury, in bad condition, this was bought for spares, there were many, many wooden crates, all stacked up, we used to make runs in them, knocking the end out, when we got to an angine, or other aircraft parts, we just turned right, or left, hell of a place, and worth all the chasng offs we got!!!

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 16/04/2012 19:04:35:

I remember, when I was a wee lad in the early 1950's, I saw a highly aerobatic glider doing tiny tiny loops continue its aerobatics straight into the runway. This was at an airshow somewhere near to Newcastle on Tyne where my dads brother lived but I am not sure what airfield.

Tom, I wonder if it might have been at Sunderland airport, or RAF Usworth as it would have been in the 50s. The 50s is slightly before my time (or at least before the time I have any memory of, being born in the latter years of the 50s!) but they held airshows there in the 70s. The site is now home to a car factory, though I believe there's an air museum there too.