Alloy for Undercarriage wanted

Wasaforumite

Hi

I am sure tou scratch and plan builders have a solution for me. Where can I get a piece of 'Dural' or similar aluminium 1 inch by 1/8 inch thick by 12 inches long to make an undercarriage for a biplane I'm building, please?

Its an old plan and I suppose materials were easier to come by 30 yeears ago. I can't find any locally.

Ian

Advert

Trouble with many of these sellers are that they all charge £10 + shipping, and secondly they often don't mention the aluminium "type" I tend to go for T6, if they don't say then I don't buy from them.

I am looking for some 1/2" OD 10awg in T6 and when I can find it, the cost is around £7 the shipping.... between £9 and £14 crying 2 I am making oleos so they need to be nice and strong.

Unfortunately Noggin End don't list tube it seems.....

LOL you are funny Alan, made me chuckle teeth 2

I was looking for tube of around (not less than) 1/2 (12.7mm) OD with a wall thickness of 3.25mm or there-abouts. I will be machining the inners to fit. I have never made any oleos so enough to play with, probably only a couple of 1 foot legths. Mind you having seen my other machining efforts might need a couple of miles crook

Any tips on how to make em?

Are you heading to Shawbury for the Northwest Warbirds bash in a few weeks?

Cheers

Danny

Dural u/c are ( or used to be ) sold by Southern Modelcraft at shows such as Wings & Wheels etc. Very cheap too or maybe they could supply a piece of dural.. They are in Tonbridge I think.  ( if you are anywhere near then consider going there and buying 10 or 20 gallons of their excellent glowfuel for your clubmates too to make the trip pay for itself.- you get a discount for 10 gallons!)

Easy to bend dural by softening ( heat until soap turns brown ) cooling and just bending cold . Leave a few days and it hardens itself. You recognise correct material because it has 'ring' to it when struck sharply. ( test a good u/c and piece of normal aluminium for comparison )

As alternative you could laminate your own carbon fibre u/c from instructions in various magazine articles.

Edited By kc on 27/04/2012 15:40:39

• 7 months later...
Posted by Danny Fenton on 27/04/2012 12:26:32:

Trouble with many of these sellers are that they all charge £10 + shipping, and secondly they often don't mention the aluminium "type" I tend to go for T6, if they don't say then I don't buy from them.

I am looking for some 1/2" OD 10awg in T6 and when I can find it, the cost is around £7 the shipping.... between £9 and £14 crying 2 I am making oleos so they need to be nice and strong.

Unfortunately Noggin End don't list tube it seems.....

I know thi is to late to be of use but do have a small stock of ally tubes.