A note to the mods

Lazygit

LG, I know you say it seems something has changed to cause the reply box problem, obviously I don't know what that is, but as a Mac user can I offer a couple points about my own devices which might help narrow down the options as to what the problem might be.

I had problem with the 'small reply box' when using my wife's iPad (an original v1 model) I recently applied the latest iOS upgrade (5.1) to the iPad and using Safari browser the reply box is fine now.

Have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1, runs Safari browser, it all works on there, obviously evertying just rather small, but reply box is full width of the text colomn of the thread.

Mainly use a MacBook Pro, early Intel model, with OSX at 10.6.8; I run Safari, Firefox and Chrome browsers all are OK on the reply box.

I do find the functionality of the forum a bit frustrating but I'm guessing nothing will change soon. As long as the majority of users accept the "foibles" (as they have been politely described) and there is a view that the content makes it all worthwhile then there is probably not much incentive to change.

Advert

@Mike - no I mean what I say - constructive criticism that indicates pratical ways forward or makes positive suggestions - not just negative, in some cases ill-informed, comment.

Sorry - but that just smacks of a totally closed mind. What have I typed that is ill-informed?

Mike

Just installed Camino 2.1.2 on my MacBook Pro and it seems fine, apart from the squashed images.

my test is here

wink 2

This post is using Camino 2.1.2

I am not sure we can expect the forum to work on everything, after all SKY Player wont work on ANDROID Tablets much to my annoyance. At least SkyPlayer gives my MAC a purpose in life......

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 29/04/2012 19:26:46:

I must be one of the few people on here who doesn't have any problems with the site. I use Google Chrome as my browser which doesn't give me any issues. I find Hyperlinking other websites into my posts easy and effective, as does embedding video. All in all its an easy and satisfying experience for me.teeth 2

thumbs up

Posted by Mike Rolls on 29/04/2012 19:16:49:

@Mike - no I mean what I say - constructive criticism that indicates pratical ways forward or makes positive suggestions - not just negative, in some cases ill-informed, comment.

Sorry - but that just smacks of a totally closed mind. What have I typed that is ill-informed?

Mike

Oh Dear, Mike my mind isn't closed honestly - and that comment was not refering to what you wrote. I apologise if that wasn't clear.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/04/2012 20:49:05

I'm still using Firefox 3 with no problems (some of the plug-ins I like just won't work with the later ones) but I completely agree that there should be some way of knowing if there are new replies to a topic. This is hardly 'cutting edge' as it's been used for many years on some of the fora I use regularly.

As it stands all I know is if I have opened a particular topic or not - I have no way of telling whether or not there is anything new in it (and that's frustrating, especially when there are a lot)

Do people not receive/setup email alerts when they bookmark a thread? Thats how I keep up with posts. And as Alan C mentioned earlier, I go straight to the latest posts link to see what's new.

At least with this forum you will see e-mails for every new message on a thread and not just one email until you go to the site, as you do with some other famous forums......I wot mention who.....

Cheers

Danny

Hope I'm not misinterpreting others complaints about new posts, but if you look at the "latest post" and check the time of the last post on your topic you can work out if anyone has posted since you last looked surely? You don't have to open the topic and scroll down to the bottom.

John

You have to remember to tick each thread tho - everyone else has a global setting that does that for you automatically. I subscribe to a few different fora and all the others will automatically send me an e-mail for any 'watched' thread without me having to do anything about it. They will also let me go straight to the 'new' posts without having to jump to page umpteen and a half.

As I said, none of that is 'new' technology - it's been round for years

Well I'm going to defend the forum here by saying that it's hardly an effort to tick a little box. People seem to want everything done for them these days. It probably won't be long before people will be complaining that they have to type their posts on here, whereas other forums may have voice operated typing, in the future of course.

I am an IT novice ,never used a PC or key board before joining this forum less than two years ago.

Must admit that the recent format change threw me for a while but posting links videos and photos is easy even for me !

Posting links is really easy but perhaps some peeps don't yet realise that you need to highlight a word in the post then paste the link url in the box that comes up when the forth from the right bottom row box is clicked.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 30/04/2012 01:52:34

Tony I can see the digital issues fine so it seems the site is OK.

Maybe it's worth contacting myhobbystore? The details given are:-

Your subscriber number can be found on the silver packaging sent with your issue of the magazine or on your renewal letter, alternatively please call 08456 777 807 or email Subscription Support.Please ensure the surname used when creating your account matches the surname used when taking out your subscription.

Hope this helps...

It must be that ignorance is bliss for me.Im, not that computer orientated so my knowledge is fairly shallow.Hence why I dont find any problems,I cant do much so what I can do works fine for me.Ive learnt masses about how to use a computer from this site.I m not much good at reading tutorials get a bit lost.But I can use the forum fine,have progressed from posting photos from my albums directly from photobuycket ,cant do links or things like that,or repeat other peoples posts to reply but in my own way I am a contented member of the forum,thanks for the pleasure I get from the Forum.