more problems with my spektrum

hi all

have been flying today, untill after about 1 hour i went to turn the plane on and fire her up, but i had no responce from the surfaces at all, after taking the wing off and looking at the reciver (AR6210), and there were no llights on it even thogh the battery fill had plenty of power.

After much head scrating we manedged to re bind the reciver to the transmitter and every thing was fine after this.

i would like to know how this would have happened and how i can avoid it happening again.

My DX8 has done that a few times. Flew a model at a show, needed to fly it again 5 mins later, but it lost it's bind. Not only that model but two or three others. No problem, as the switch socket was JR, and re-bound via the charge jack. Still annoying, though...

The only reason is that I may had inadvertantly pressed the "Bind/Trainer" on the TX whilst switching on, if only a second will lose it's bind.

...because you have to press the bind on the rx, then switch the TX on. No buttons on the tx to mess the bind. The Futaba method seems a much better way to establish a bind.

The rx that lost it's bind was a AR7000 and a couple of UM BNF models.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 06/05/2012 18:49:03

Me too, 3yrs+ without a binding issue. As far as I am aware, any 'loss of bind' has eventually been established to have been as a result of incorrectly binding the Rx in the first place or operator error thereafter.

Have a read of this thread, Chris, and see if that helps. It's worth doing a search on 'bind' here - there are many other threads discussing issues.

It's worth mentioning that the procedure has to be explicitly followed - there are no short cuts!smile

Pete

Timbo has always stated that once bound a system cannot "unbind" itself unless the operator does something wrong.

With his experiance, I would not dispute this, as he knew his stuff, so I would say that either it was not bound correctly in the first place, or the bind button on the TX was pressed incorrectly.

I have flown Spekky for 5 yrs and never had a glitch or any binding problems

Garry

Rather a broad sweeping statement without I notice any justificatoin for the remark harris.If the article is read it would be plain to see that they were talking about cloned Spekky, not the genuine article, which has been sold in their thousands over a long period, with I may add the best after sales service I have ever come across.

I repeat my previous statment that I have flown Specktrum gear for 5 yrs with no problems.

I am a big believer in the saying "If its not broken , dont fix it "

Garry

How do you know it's " the best after sales service I have ever come across" if you have had "Spektrum gear with no problems for 5 yrs" ?????

I think harris's comment is justified! If you cannot tell genuine from fake it's up to the genuine maker to do something before a serious problem arises. Hologram labels perhaps?

I may have been flying Specktrum for 5 yrs kc, but I have been flying R/C for over 40 yrs, so feel I have my fair share of different makes, and Specktum have come out on top of the poll for best aftersales service many times on this forum

I feel the way to go if you want genuine gear, go to a genuine LMS, or some outlet you know you can trust.

There is always a way.

Garry

Posted by Alan Randall on 07/05/2012 17:20:56:

You can also lose bind if you inadvertantly switch off the tranny before the model.

No experience of that either, Alan. If you read the thread I linked to earlier, it is clear that binding can only be made/changed/lost when the signal and - pins are connected.

The convention amongst most of us for safe operation is always Tx on first, off last, even though Spekky say it can be done either way.

Pete

thanks for the help on this matter, but at the club i fly at it was not just my radio that was having problems a few other people were having problems with there remote( some so bad the plane was lost) and some one said that there might have been some interference in the area some where.

also after talking to othere club member they said that it has also happend to them before.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 06/05/2012 18:40:49:

inadvertantly pressed the "Bind/Trainer" on the TX whilst switching on, if only a second will lose it's bind.

i had been using the plane and remote for ding some training and had the trainer switch, pressed up for most of the flight, but as so as i let go i had control no problem.

Posted by crispin church on 07/05/2012 17:46:50:

do you have any army personal using radio near the long range stuff can cause interference to anything

From personal experience I would say that interference on 2.4gHz would be highly unlikely.

We fly off an active Royal Marines base (RMB Chivenor in North Devon). Apart from the Army activity, we have the SAR helicopters based there as well. We also have regular RAF visits from all and sundry - Typhoons, Hercules, Hawks etc. etc. There is also radar and ILS constantly in operation. In other words,we operate in an extremely hostile RF environment - probably as busy as they come.

The only times we have lost RC aircraft on site have been put down to either brown outs caused by low Rx battery voltage or through other, mechanical, failures.

I must add, however, that the planes lost through brown outs have all been on Spektrum.

This is probably a factor of Spektrum being the most popular system for people taking up the hobby, or who are replacing old 35mHz stuff , not being familiar with it.

I had the same problem with some Spectrum receivers losing bind but only in certain models and one model in particular did it on a regular basis. This had me puzzled and very worried until I realised these models all had heavy duty switches with 3 wire cables. The loss of bind was being caused by a short across the signal and ground wires which put the receivers into bind mode. My solution is to ensure that the signal wire is removed from male plug going to the battery connection on the receiver so that there is no chance of a short putting the receiver into bind mode, I have not had any problems since.