Is a airplane easier to fly than a heli??

nescafe37

Well i still have not bought a plane yet as it looks like the only way to fund it will to be to sell my Helis.. Now i have been flying my MCPX and trying to hover my 450 Pro but its costing me a fortune in repairs. I just cant seem to get it right. I also have Pheonix Flight Sim and i am the same trying to hover the helis on there.. But i seemed to be able to fly the airplanes with no problems including taking off and landing...Now my question is is it really easier to fly and land a plane than hover a helicopter??

Cheers Chris

But either way, it's a lot easier/cheaper if you're getting some experienced help!

There are different things to consider of course - hovering a heli is a complex co-ordination exercise but you're hopefully not going anywhere fast, whereas the fixed wing should be inherently stable but you're having to cope with changing perspectives and angles without the ability to stop and think..

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/05/2012 12:05:16

Hi Chris..

I've been exactly where you are...

I learnt (on my own) to fly heli's first.. I had a Zoom400, which I learnt the basics on, and crashed more than a few times...

Then, whilst still learning, I was in my LMS when a guy bought in a JR Voyager E, with a Bell230 fuse, to sell.. !!

I snapped it up, and even tho I promised I wouldn't fly it until i'd mastered the Zoom, the inevitable happened, and I tried it..

Way more stable, and easy to hover... Never flew the Zoom again, and haven't (touch wood) dinged the Voyager once... Vid Here

Then came the planes....

I was practicing on the Sim (XTR) and after an hour of tense nose-in hovering (or trying) i'd have a go at a plank, and found them a doddle to throw about..

Loops, rolls, inverted, all easier than just hovering 1 foot off the floor..!?!?!

Granted, I went into planes the wrong way, and got a massive Cessna which I converted to Leccy.. Under powered with no real experience.. she took one short flight..

Then I got a Minium.. Ace, super easy, chill out...

Today, I have 9 planes, mostly built myself.. The Heli has been in bits for 2yrs having a 'slow' re-fresh, but I keep starting new planes instead.. disgust it's so adictive...

One thing that did catch me out, going from Heli to plank, is landing...

Where do you fly the heli..??

I fly from the garden, which, with a heli has never been an issue, but all of a sudden, I needed a cricket pitch of grass to land.... AND at speed... It suprised me how much area and speed was required.. You get used to stopping in the sky, before landing with a heli..!!

Alot of waffling, sorry... but in essence, YES.. If you can fly a Heli, a plane is a relatively easy transition, but lands faster..

HTH's..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

The biggest problem is that with the motor turned off helicopters do not glide, so the final interface with mother earth is always on the hard side. The MCP-x is a tough little helicopter and as such is an ideal practice tool and much less boring than a sim. Just get into the habit of hitting throttle cut quickly when a crash is inevitable and the damage is then much reduced.

Barry

Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 30/05/2012 20:58:45:

Yep Frank... more nice and comfortable wink 2

Yes, totally agree... BUT...

Theres so much more satisfaction when you can smoothy fly your heli at you, with lights on, looking FANTASTIC.... and my BL VE even sounds realistic...

I've NEVER had the urge to turn my heli's 'upside down'.. For me, it's all about scale, and doing the intro to Airwolf ( Low fly towards you, then pull out to banked turn )

They're 3D capable, but real Bell230's dont do that... And besides the £130 fuselage, theres loads of extra weight, with my PIC lights, extra 2s battery for the 3W LED's (soon to be 5W), my 'filed from a lump' ally retracts, and illuminated cockpit.... Not worth it..

Planes on the other hand, are for messing about with... most of the time, I just nail then about, wiggling the sticks, like i'm mixing a cake... All good fun... and now i'm more confident landing, no stress either... The Heli is still a heart bounder, until it's back on the floor..

I do like scale planes, love them infact, but haven't the skills (yet) to make one, and in reality, only want to fly vastly overpowered bats' and more recently STOL's..

Each to their own... And i'm waffling again...

Got my coat..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 31/05/2012 18:43:26

I'm now ex heli, I found helis hard no help just a heli forum.

But only had 2 crashers that was pilot error, and 1 leki fault and one mechanical fault. But them 4 crashers cost £610. First heli was a trex 600NSP the second a raptor 60, so the big repairs was due to the size of the heli, raptors main blades was £60-£80 carbon.

If I totally righted off my tutor 40 it would only cost £80 for a new plane, and maybe an engine, and just bought a Irvine .53 for it at a bargin price of £41 delivered with less than a few hrs use. So planes are in MHO easy to fly and land (but lots more room needed as said) and cheaper to fix.