2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

• 2 months later...

Howdy - I bought the complete mass build kit in time for Christmas 2012 and have spent this holiday trying to finish it. One problem is that the canopy seems very "generous" and I wonder if I have been provided with a canopy for the bigger span Tucano rather than the Mass build version. Does anyone have a mass build version that still has its surrounding moulding and can compare?. The bulkheads (cockpit front to cockpit back are about 260mm - the canopy moulding is about 340mm. Its also about 5mm too wide all around the sides. Suggestions please?

I suspect it is just fine, see my pic of finished canopy inside the uncut molding, just trim the ends off and drop it over the balsa framework, mark up and trim, its all a bit oversize, but trims up finedsc_0001 (medium).jpg

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 30/12/2013 15:30:23

• 8 months later...
Posted by Mike Hardy on 13/09/2014 13:38:27:

Hi All, remember me!! I have almost finished the build - bit late I know, I have one query the Tucano exhaust stubs. The use of 10mm copper tube bend fitting has been mentioned on this thread but I cannot find any reference can any body help please.

Mike.

Hi mike I started by trying copper but ended up with 10mm plastistuct tube bent using a low heat gun with a bending spring inside the pipe to prevent kinking, this was because I wanted to keep the nose weight down as my battery is as far back in its tray as it can go, Which reminds me now I have my 'A' I must dig the tuc out and start work on my 'B' frown maybe early next season eh?

Thanks Phil (congrats on your 'A' and Martin, do these stubs need to be hollow to aid cooling of the motor? Will post some pics prior to covering.

Can I ask all you Tucano master builders to keep on eye on this thread as the next operation will be to cover and no doubt will be asking some questions as to which technique to use.

Regards,

Mike.

tucano complete - not covered (2).jpgtucano complete rear view - not covered.jpgHi all,

I am now in a position to cover the airframe (better late than never!!). I plan to use the Battle of Britain memorial flight colour scheme which means a paint job. As I see it (you master builders may differ) I have two routes - tissue and dope or fibre glass and PolyC. My preference is the tissue route because I have used this method many times. Some master builders on here have used the PolyC - I have the stuff but need to be convinced it is the better method. Your comments please.

I am not a master builder so please be kind on the photo comments!!!

Mike.

tucano with cockpit detail - not covered..jpg

Mike

You may wish to consider an alternative quick method if you want to paint your model which is to cover with silver Solarfilm first. This is thicker and much easier to apply than the other colours. No need to rub down afterwards, just coat with Primol and it is ready to finish with Humbrol or Spectra. The concave and other difficult parts could be tissued after filming the rest possibly. I have done this several times and it works. The design will be able to take the extra weight.

Looks very good Mike. I used the tissue, paint and dope route for mine and it would be my personal choice again for this build, also you've used it before. However there's nothing wrong with the alternative Poly-C or Ezekote and glass-cloth route.

Both methods can be associated with warping though, so you need to take precautions on the wing in particular. The tendency is reduced with the tissue and balsa route I think by using sanding sealer before putting the tissue on to minimise the amount of dope which is drawn into the wood when the tissue is applied. The water based resins are probably worse because they take a lot longer to dry and warping might not be apparent until this process is completed.

Some of our colleagues in the forum might be able to offer you better advice, but this reflects my experience so far.

Hi Phil,

It does not appear to be metallic and have used it on 35mHz with an internal antenna. I did the wing of my 1:5 Hurri with stuff from HK believing it to be similar but it turned out to be actual alloy and polyester to boot which did not take the paint very permanently. I fitted a couple of remote Rx`s well away from it just to be sure.

The Solarfilm method is similar to what Tony Nihuis does but he uses Easycote which requires rubbing down first.