Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Am building a scaled up version of Tony's plan at 2m span. Plans arrived in the post on Thursday - Thanks Tony! - just need to clear the decks and get going.

Build will mainly be depron, perhaps with some balsa here and there.... I'll be using 4x70mm fans .... I think there'll a lot adapting or 'a lot of making it up as I go along' if you prefer!!

Hi colin

ye mine where 54.5mm. I got them in but I compounded the issue by building up the engine bearers before the fans arrived. I got them in but it's not pretty.

on another subject how do you get the oval shape for the plastic tube to exit, don't say do it free hand! I have have bad arthritis at the old age of 36 and my hands are a bit digital.

Hi colin

ye mine where 54.5mm. I got them in but I compounded the issue by building up the engine bearers before the fans arrived. I got them in but it's not pretty.

on another subject how do you get the oval shape for the plastic tube to exit, don't say do it free hand! I have have bad arthritis at the old age of 36 and my hands are a bit digital.

I have used the program cone layout before to calculate the template required, I believe it will also add construction tabs to aide assembly, please look at **LINK**

Another idea, when you have the template cut out would be to cut two ply/balsa discs separated the correct distant by a dowel and use this as a forming tool to construct your efflux tube around

Steve B

I balsa tube was formed, with considerable difficulty.

vulcan 001.jpg

The laminating film was cut to size and wrapped around, initially sealing at a few spots with an iron. I then held it in place with Kapton tape, which is heat proof.vulcan 002.jpg

The caps from R/C colours spray cans fit quite well so may use these for the nozzles.

vulcan 003.jpg

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 19/10/2014 17:32:19

Well like Martin I have spent most of today fighting the thrust tubes !!

Eventually sorted it with a number of 'cunning plans'!

Firstly as Martin found out, the film will fight being rolled into a tube - elastic bands sorted that out and allowed me to then adjust the diameter of each end, holding it with some Sellotape - enough to hold the diameter, but not too much to prevent the film twisting slightly to allow for adjusting the other end. A piece of tape in the middle then held it temporarily and I then marked the edge of the film overlap at each end to record the correct diameters.

After marking slight angle for the EDF unit I then removed the tube and undo the tape.

By joining the marks previously made this gave me a line to match the edge to when reforming the tube. I also trimmed the film to 1 cm beyond this line to give me an overlap.

This took about 3 hrs to get this far with a lot of Anglo Saxon - but then using this piece as a template, I made the next tube in 10 mins - and it fitted !!

Another problem I found was how to apply the tape down the length of the tube -obviously it needs pressing down to stick properly, but you cannot apply the pressure on the empty tube without the tube distorting.

The solution was simple - fix with small pieces of tape as described earlier and then slip it over a broom handle when is then supported horizontally over a couple of chairs. You then have something firm to press down on!

But then how to apply the tape inside the tube? You can't just drop a length of Sellotape down the tube. Again the answer was simple - take a length of tape longer than you need and with the adhesive side uppermost just reverse the two ends so the tape can stick to the broom handle.

Put the tube over the broom handle, holding it clear of the Sellotape, and then position it so the inner overlap is over the tape and press. Lift clear of the broom handle and cut off the excess - job done!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 19/10/2014 17:31:20

Another slight problem I had was getting the right shape for the cut-outs in the sheeted side. It obviously needed to be a parabola like shape and I was about to go and start plotting one then suddenly had a brain wave.

I simply took a torch and used the shadow of the rear thrust tube supports to create a suitable shadow. The beauty of this method is that you can angle the torch to match the tube and get an angled shape.

With a slight bit of fettling this worked first time ...

16 - getting the cutout shape.jpg

Having got the fans and tubes glued in I decided on a final test while I can still get at everything. Guess what? Another motor wire had fractured, luckily at the 2mm connector end. This was again due to the enamel having been stripped too far back during manufacture resulting in the solder running a long way up causing the wire to become brittle.

I have now run UHU POR round the wires as they exit the tube and shall secure them all together to spread any load.

I initially tacked the motors and tubes with POR then flooded everything with aliphatic but since this does not adhere to the motor casings very well I have added some Evostick.

Catch up time now with you cnc builders.

hi, I'm new but thought I would show you guy's my progress. also if anyone could help I'm planning on using 4 esc's two central fans paired with one battery and two paired with the outer's . my question would be connecting to the receiver, would I leave just 1 power wire from one esc then y lead them down to the receiver but if I lost power from that esc then I would lose everything or can I leave 1 power from each pair connected or is there another way. hope that makes sense cheers............100_0273.jpg100_0272.jpg100_0270.jpg

Dave, Hi.

Thanks for your interest. We may tempt you into building one yet!

After toying with the idea of using a quad ESC I heard about the ten blade replacement fans which if they had fitted would have drawn a lot more current so I ordered 30A units. They were incompatible and have been sent back, leaving me with the four ESC`s -------.

I have been trying to save weight elsewhere to compensate, i.e. by substituting some of the ply with balsa where I see fit as I am not using the CNC pack.

The ESC`s are a little heavier than the 20A ones but not too much.

Meantime I have been looking at some computer cooling units which are cheap and have much more rigid seven blades fitted. These are of a similar size and design to the Dr. Madthrust blades but I did not have four the same so will just go with what I have got.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 22/10/2014 17:58:20

Hi CK,

That is looking great but I am not quite with you on this. It looks to have only two visible fans which could only be powered by two ESC`s but I could be wrong here.

You definitely cannot use more than one ESC to power the Rx. and servos as per a quad set-up. At the end of the day it is no different to a single engine model with one ESC.