Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Have finally reached the point of test flying the 48" versions......Hmmmmm...think I'll try the tractor first

Now i know the spinner doesn't look right on the tractor version but i do have a vac form cover to correct this. There is also a slight modification to the slope of the nose to make more scale

img_2572.jpg

Those 48 inch Vulcans really look the business Tony! Would all three variants be shown on the plan? Now i really want to see these small ones in the special as free plans,proably would be your most popular plan yet.The V Bombers particuly the Vulcan have a huge following all over the world,how about a HP Victor & Vickers Valiant for the future maybe? That would be an awsome sight in the air! Kindest Regards Steve.

Well you'll be please to know that a deal has been struck and the 48" Vulcan will be a free plan in this years RCM&E Special due out in September!!!!yes

Originally we were going to keep the Vulcans firmly in the TND stable as the amount of work and detail that has gone into these models is far in excess of what a free plan is worth. However following a shift in how we operate with RCM&E I have agreed to allow the 48" Vulcan plan to be published in the 'Special' as a free pull-out with limited copyright only extending to the print run of the magazine. All future sales of the plans will be direct from TND and not MyHobbyStore.

All the cnc packs, wood packs and VAC sets will again only be available through TND.

To answer your question Steve....yes all three variants will be shown......and believe me i'm running out of drawing space, cramming all the information on one drawing...

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally managed to test fly one the three today (only the pusher) after gusty condition, cross winds and heavy rain go the better of my short window of testing today......

Flying was interesting!!! put too much reflex in and the wind got under her after hand launching and she climbed nearly vertical and then stopped....full down elevator and the nose dropped....the model straightened and she slowly pick up speed and was away! Ended put all the down trim I had in and it still need some down input to hold level flight......Certainly a different flying experience...air brakes beautifully at high angles of attack with no chance of tip stall. Thought she was a bit twitchy but soon realised the CofG was too far back and a bit too much movement.......She was being buffeting by the strong wind but thinking about the wing loading which is only 15oz/sq' its really not surprising....should be flying her indoors!!!

The retracts and wheel sizes will provide useless unless you have a tarmac or well mown strip

Hopefully give the others ago next week

img_2672.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well almost 2 months on and all three have now been test flown.......but only two successfully!!!!

All three weighed the same, C of G the same and movements the same

The tractor version for some unexplained reason just didn't want to play ball and was totally written off. As a consequence this version has now been scraped.....out of all of them i thought this may have been the one that was going to be the easiest to launch and test so tried this one first.....The model was hand launched and immediately flicked on to its back.......fortunately only minor damage and with it bit of glue was back ready for a second try....so another hand launch into wind straight and level.......again after a second or two she torque rolled and flicked on to her back......smash......I can only put it down to the torque of the motor and the long distance from the motor to the C of G (500mm) that makes it impossible the launch.

I'm not too fussed about the loss of this version as visually it was the least attractive and most would have preferred the pusher or fan version.

The pusher version was then tried......A good hand launch and smoothly away with absolutely no fuss. With the modified C of G and the rates reduced, she flew a treat in the 10 Knott wind.

Finally the DF version was tried.....again, a good hand launch, a little bit of sink and she was away....again with out any fuss.....great that a bungee wasn't needed.

I have to say the DF version was the one I had expected to fail, not the tractor version.....! but the DF version has turned out to be my favorite because of its smoothness........very surprised by the performance even though there was no intake ducts to the fan......just an opening in the wings

Next job is to get some war paint on and sort the VAC forms out....remember they will be a free plan in the RCME special, October this year

• 2 months later...