Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Guys,

The RCM&E Special will be out this Friday and your free Vulcan plan will be available inside. This coincides with the launch on www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk where you buy the VAC set, the cnc pack and wood pack.

It should be popular one!!!smiley

RCM&E will be having a stand at the Southern Model Show at Headcorn Aerodrome so if you're there, come along and have a look at the model in the flesh!!!

Finally, a big thank you to all who have waited along time for this model to arrive. hopefully it will be worth the wait!........ i must be slipping or getting old

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/09/2014 00:22:32:

Tony, I am interested, but can you give us the HK item No. of the EDF units actually used since the 3s one I looked at got bad reviews due to only having 12oz static against an original better version which had 16oz. This would give more time to order these ahead of the presumed rush.

Thanks, Martin Mc.

I'm seeing that to Martin, there is an identical EDF unit set for 4s setup that gives an extra 100 grams of thrust over the 3s setup / per unit.....

Here

I'm planning the 4 EDF setup on 3s or 4s depending on the reply from Tony.....

I've already got retract UC less the nose wheel set but hopefully get that organised.

I've never setup this kind of complicated setup or had a EDF before either. I was wondering if 2 40 amp ESC would do running 2 EDF units off each ESC if it was the 3s setup.....I could solder a wire loom up so that 1 ESC runs both outboard engines and then the second ESC runs both inboard engines meaning if 1 ESC failed or battery it would keep the thrust equal ...

Wonder how much the wood packs are going to be ?? Any ideas Tony or is that a secret till the 15th lol

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You cannot run two brushless motors from one esc because they rely on feedback from a motor to verify the rotor position ready for the next pulse.

HK do a quad 20A unit which I already have on a multicopter and may look to see if it is suitable. Other than this then the Turnigy Plush ones are very good. It would seem better to keep the esc`s close to their respective motors. Back issues of the mag. show various wiring diagrams for multi motor set ups. I am new to df`s but would think that two batteries each driving inner/outer motors would make sense to keep the thrust even should one of them die. We shall have to wait and see what the maestro says about this.

Part of this thread might be of interest.

"The Herc is powered by 4 x overlander Thumper V2 3530/14,1100kv motors, each capable of producing 340Watts and requiring 30A ESC's. Running on 4S lipo and 4x9 or 10" prop's. Rather than supplying each motor with separate ESCs, I'm using an Overlander 30A XP2 Quad ESC."

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=97317

Lots of questions Guys.....

Jamie.....It would be a great slope flyer (so i have be told by a number of die-hard slopeeez)

Believe it or not, this is my first DF model!!!!surprise

Now the secrete to a successful design is putting the cheapest fan units you can find in the test model (especially when the reviews say it cant pull the skin off a rice pudding) and being pleasantly surprised when it workssmiley

The prototype used the 3S HK107------44......£12 a unit which state 16oz of thrust.

If you use one or two of these unit in a model, then you may be dissapointed...however put four rubbish fans in a model and you will get some performance. The KEY logic here is you will have a successful model, even if you use cheap and nasty fans (which some modellers may only be able to afford). Use expensive 10 blader on 4s and you have a rock ship....

I want every builder, no matter what the limiting budget, to have a successful model.........there ends the lessoncheekywink

Thanks for your answers Tony, with regards to the controller ESC for the 4 EDF units I just found this ...

at a very reasonable price to yes....

I think my one will be prime rally for the slope but that isn't going to stop me fitting some EDF units in it.....I like to have a plan B especially if I loose lift and need a small helping hand to get back up into the safety zone for landing.....

Very excited about this now lol

Cant wait to get a look at the plan when it arrives

Jamie

Will you be doing a build thread Martin ? If you are I hope you don't mind me following your lead lol..

I'll be waiting till the plan comes out and put a full figure on it all before I 100% commit ....

There wasn't any discription on how to finish the airframe. I've never painted but always iron on material....

How should I plan this ?? Will it be just sealed with a balsa blocker end painted or is it glassed with 80 grm cloth and epoxy ?

Jamie