Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Firstly, many thanks to the mod's for removing my incorrect post. As Martin very kindly pointed out, I had provided duff information. In an attempt to put things right and salvage some of my dignity, here's what I meant to show....quadesc.jpg

I must point out that this modification would probably invalidate any warranty you would have with the product but it works fine for me. All motors start-up and spin in perfect sync'. I see no reason why you couldn't 'pair' the signal wires (two outer motors, two inner motors etc) if you wanted more control over the motors (mix).
regards
Roy

Wow!

My Build Buddy and I were at Headcorn and were seriously impressed with the aircraft!!

the weather was a gusty strong crosswind but it flew beautifully, the flypast followed by steep climb to a wingover was just like the real one except for the lack of noise.!!

oh well , You can't have everything.

it looked just right , flying at scale speeds.

it appeared to me that it was flying aerodynamically not on megagobs of of excess thrust, which makes it better.

some of the other models there were virtually supersonic,

Anyway, top marks for a beautiful model, Tony i'm looking forward to seeing your 48" special.

Alan

Edited By BizJet Tech on 15/09/2014 09:27:56

Posted by Matt Jones on 15/09/2014 09:57:15:

It's a shame that the nose profile isn't quite right but I'll probably still have a go at the EDF version at some point thumbs up

If you don't think its right modify it to your own liking Matt......

Once its in the air I don't think you will notice personally....I think it looks ok.....

jamie

After a quick flick through I am confused; does it have ailerons and elevators or elevons and flaps?

Also the EDF thrust requirements are at odds. One bit says 400gm min. and another 500.

My df units arrived today and state 450gm max. which should be OK. Not done df before but I have always been led to believe that to be efficient the impeller should be as close as possible to the duct. There is a huge gap on these (Dr. Mad Thrust) so I shall have to wait and see how they behave.

John,

I don't think power will be a problem. My Durafly Vampire tears around the sky on a really cheap plastic fan as supplied by Hobbyking and the only time it seems to run out of oomph is when you need a good power to weight ratio - e.g. at the top of big loops.

The fans Tony mentioned earlier are a lot better than the Vampire fan and are quoted at 450g thrust, so a total thrusr of 1.8kg.

Since the Vulcan is reported to have an AUW of 1.6kg then we should, as we say, be cooking on gas!

No need for a build thread on this as Tony has done it for us but if I run into any problems or whatever I shall do one, like it or not!

Jumped in further and ordered the vacforms and some landing gear. Just about to do the same for balsa since you will probably know from my previous builds that I have an aversion to plan packs and like to choose my own materials. One or two other things to get finished before I can make a start.

Ran the EDF`s today and one failed due to a wire not soldered to a 2mm connector but easily fixed. Will strip the insulation from the rest and check them.

So you now have the MAG.....smiley

As for Matt's comment....the nose was modified on the plan to be pretty well spot on!...my prototypes we too shallow and that's why i modified it...being OCD about it did bug me.

The data file should have said 400g of thrust (not 500g) to match the plan spec.... my mistake...

As for elevators & ailerons!!!! The model nor the full size has flaps! the full size uses out board elevons and inboard elevators....work that one out if you can... the model just uses simple elevons but i have split them to give a scale appearance.....an before anyone asks....they do work with the pin joint arrangement....

Moving on.....Now just started designing a DF Hawk for 70mm fan...another free plan

A fellow down at the club has built the prototype to the Vulcan. It had the intake on the top of the aircraft it also had ailerons and elevators so he built it into his model. In board elevators and outboard ailerons. It works very well for him. Unfortunately the Vulcan doesn't interest me in the least but I am quite interested in this Hawk you speak of Tony. Good luck to all of you and happy landings. I look forward to seeing more of Tonys models in the air.

Hi tony

ordered one of your kits and the vac parts came today. I have been talking to,Colin about your kit and he helping me on my way.

i have been looking at fans could I use the 50mm mad thrust motor on hobby king? It's 4s, that suits me as I have some. Would I need twin bats?

My flting spot is grass and it's all about the power!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__47917__Dr_Mad_Thrust_50mm_10_Blade_Alloy_EDF_3300kv_UK_Warehouse_.html